Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 02-18-2011, 10:15 AM   #1
Sylver
Addict
Sylver began at the beginning.

Device: The Nook, iPad
html notes convert to ePub for the nook

Hi, all, I have some Chinese classic texts in htm format that I am converting to ePub for reading on my nook. The text has a lot of inline notes by different scholars that I wish to keep readable on the nook. The following shows an example of the original htm source code:

<SPAN style="font-size:12pt; color:#000000">The Kindle</SPAN><SPAN style="font-size:9.9pt; color:#FF0000">an e-reader</SPAN><SPAN style="font-size:9.9pt; color:#00008A">sold by Amazon</SPAN><SPAN style="font-size:12pt; color:#000000">is an option.</SPAN>

In this example, the text "The Kindle" and "is an option" is the original classic text, the "an e-reader" and the "sold by Amazon" are two inline notes provided by two ancient scholars illustrated in smaller font size and different font colors. After Calibre converts this to ePub, the texts are all showing as same font size and color now that I can no longer tell the notes from original text. Now I know this (having only one font size and color in a block of text) is a limit of the ePub format, but would like to ask if someone has a more creative way in Calibre when converting these to ePub that in someway preserves the notion of the inline text so it can still be read in the nook? Many thanks.
Sylver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 02:24 PM   #2
drew0747
drew0747 began at the beginning.

Device: Aldiko
I have the same trouble. I lose font colors after converting my htm file to epub which becomes black text only. Is there a way to retain the different font colors of the converted text? Please advise
drew0747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2011, 02:31 PM   #3
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylver View Post
Hi, all, I have some Chinese classic texts in htm format that I am converting to ePub for reading on my nook. The text has a lot of inline notes by different scholars that I wish to keep readable on the nook. The following shows an example of the original htm source code:

<SPAN style="font-size:12pt; color:#000000">The Kindle</SPAN><SPAN style="font-size:9.9pt; color:#FF0000">an e-reader</SPAN><SPAN style="font-size:9.9pt; color:#00008A">sold by Amazon</SPAN><SPAN style="font-size:12pt; color:#000000">is an option.</SPAN>

In this example, the text "The Kindle" and "is an option" is the original classic text, the "an e-reader" and the "sold by Amazon" are two inline notes provided by two ancient scholars illustrated in smaller font size and different font colors. After Calibre converts this to ePub, the texts are all showing as same font size and color now that I can no longer tell the notes from original text. Now I know this (having only one font size and color in a block of text) is a limit of the ePub format, but would like to ask if someone has a more creative way in Calibre when converting these to ePub that in someway preserves the notion of the inline text so it can still be read in the nook? Many thanks.
There is no limit in the epub format for one font size/color in a block of text. Try disabling font size rescaling under look and feel in the conversion options, or adjusting the base font size.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 06:50 PM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylver View Post
Now I know this (having only one font size and color in a block of text) is a limit of the ePub format
This is not a limit of the ePub format. There is no reason why you can't have multiple colors and fonts.

I'm not a html expert but if you set the proper Class in the CSS and define what you want. Then it will convert fine. In your example everything was <span> nothing was specifically defined. If the inline notes where classed differently than the main paragraphs, everything would have converted fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew0747 View Post
I have the same trouble. I lose font colors after converting my htm file to epub which becomes black text only. Is there a way to retain the different font colors of the converted text?
If the html has properly formatted CSS it should convert fine.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 07:07 PM   #5
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
I'm not a html expert but if you set the proper Class in the CSS and define what you want. Then it will convert fine. In your example everything was <span> nothing was specifically defined. If the inline notes where classed differently than the main paragraphs, everything would have converted fine.
Calibre should move those style tags in the <span> to css during conversion, as long as the style tags are correctly defined. The only reason things would get screwed up that I can think of is font size re-scaling, 12pt and 9.9pt may be too close together and being merged.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2011, 02:24 PM   #6
Quixalicious
Quixalicious began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Was this issue ever solved? I'm dealing with a related issue right now, and here's what I believe is going on:
- The Nook Color, from my testing, only seems to respect inline CSS styles for font color. It does not respect color: declarations in rules in an attached stylesheet referenced by class, even when !important is added. It also does not respect <font color=""> attributes.
- It sounds like Calibre converts inline styles to stylesheets. This is generally smart, as it is definitely good to avoid inline styles and stick instead with stylesheets. However, due to this Nook Color issue, it also means you'll need to add inline styles outside of Calibre (so it does not remove them) if you want color to work on the Nook.

Does anyone have any publisher guidelines from B&N for the Nook or Nook Color, or Reader Mobile in general? This issue does not seem to exist in ADE for the PC.
Quixalicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 04:01 AM   #7
kongzifan
Enthusiast
kongzifan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, iPhone, iPad
I think you are trying to convert the chm version "Shi Ji with three commenters", am I right? If you have nook color why not try directly opening it in a good chm viewer app? I tried using Calibre to convert it to mobi. Although the conversion was successful, it was too slow to open it in Kindle (minutes of waiting). So I downloaded a mobi version without commentations from shucang, and it reads just fine.
kongzifan is offline   Reply With Quote