Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 02-15-2011, 09:49 AM   #1
geeksquadofun
geeksquadofun began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Question DRM vs NON-DRM Books in my library

I have purchased books from Amazon for my K3, but I also have downloaded many free public domain books.

Is there a way to flag these books in my library: free vs paid books ?

I would like to add a column for example and pick a field that show yes this book is DRM'd - this one is not.

Thanks

DS
geeksquadofun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 09:52 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It's not as simple as free vs. paid for, of course. Some free books have DRM; some paid-for books don't.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 09:56 AM   #3
geeksquadofun
geeksquadofun began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
OK then, how about DRM books vs NON-DRM books - can this be flagged in Calibre to help in finding them ?
geeksquadofun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 10:10 AM   #4
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeksquadofun View Post
OK then, how about DRM books vs NON-DRM books - can this be flagged in Calibre to help in finding them ?
Yes, just add a column. You can use any one of several types. The Yes/No/Empty type might work for you where Yes=DRM. There's no automatic way to do it.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 10:13 AM   #5
gweminence
Fat Guy
gweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Voyage
1. Add a column as Starson17 said. This is probably the best way. If your library is huge, it'll be tedious until you get it done, but then becomes negligible for new books. To make this easier, batch-select a bunch of books, press 'e', to edit metadata, click on the 'custom metadata' tab, and set the yes/no for all selected books at once. This is, of course, after you've made the column.

2. Add a tag. Then simply search for 'drm' or 'non-drm'...or whatever.
gweminence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 11:54 AM   #6
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Next week, Calibre launches what it calls 'Open Book' (a joint venture between Kovid and Krittika Goyal and some publishers who helped in its development). It's to be an ever-growing list of publishers, authors and titles resisting DRM padlocks. Wait for it. Meantime remember this ... DRM is an imposition on the honest buyer and a blatant insult to his integrity and NO defence against piracy -- and use the logo below whenever you feel strongly about a post on this subject ... Bestests. Neil
Attached Images

Last edited by neilmarr; 02-15-2011 at 11:56 AM.
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 12:54 PM   #7
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
I do that, actually, and indeed, using the yes/no/empty column. I find it essential to keep my redistributable and non-redistributable books separate, as my non-redistributable books are also DRM-free (Baen, O'Reilly, etc.) and I don't want to accidentallly give one away like I would, say, a book from the Baen Free Library. It did indeed take a bit of work when I first set it up (though selecting books based on publisher may help) but now, when I add books, I just set that field at the same time I'm cleaning up the existing metadata and adding my tags.

That said, it might be interesting, though not notably useful for me (since I don't buy or accept DRM-locked ebooks) to have a way of automatically flagging them. That won't solve the distributable/redistributable or paid/free problem, but it will at least be a handy marker for DRM status for those people who choose to contribute to the usage of DRM.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 03:02 PM   #8
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
Next week, Calibre launches what it calls 'Open Book' (a joint venture between Kovid and Krittika Goyal and some publishers who helped in its development). It's to be an ever-growing list of publishers, authors and titles resisting DRM padlocks. Wait for it. Meantime remember this ... DRM is an imposition on the honest buyer and a blatant insult to his integrity and NO defence against piracy -- and use the logo below whenever you feel strongly about a post on this subject ... Bestests. Neil
Could you post on the calibre forum when a link is available?
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote