Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 01-09-2014, 08:14 PM   #1756
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
I'm so, so spoiled by Calibre + Alf that every time I try to figure out how to convert the Audible files my head starts spinning and I give up.
The thing about it is, there is nothing to it. The programs simply re-record the audio into a brand new file. The nice thing about it is that it happens without using your computer's speakers, so you can use your computer for other things while it is going.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 09:27 PM   #1757
MobileJanie
Zealot
MobileJanie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MobileJanie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MobileJanie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MobileJanie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MobileJanie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MobileJanie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MobileJanie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MobileJanie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MobileJanie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MobileJanie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MobileJanie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post

That was slightly painful to report; but hey, it comes with the turf
Your self sacrifice for the good of the cause is appreciated
MobileJanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 11:27 PM   #1758
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
The thing about it is, there is nothing to it. The programs simply re-record the audio into a brand new file. The nice thing about it is that it happens without using your computer's speakers, so you can use your computer for other things while it is going.
I cant drop & drag nor copy paste ...so there has to be something more at least in setting it up at first.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 08:09 AM   #1759
piperclassique
A garbling groftpot
piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis, Voyage, Kobo mini, Samsung tablet, phones, whatever.
Well, Katie, there is always the file - open- option, and if all else fails you could read the manual or use the help files.
piperclassique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 01:27 PM   #1760
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
I've posted this before I think, but there ARE good solutions that are fast and provide high quality MP3 or M4b files as output. (Or any other format you can think of, frankly.) They are not simple "real-time" solutions, but do a full conversion at speeds up to 400x on my laptop. The one I use is dBpoweramp. More than that I don't think forum rules will allow me to say, but the key thing to understand is that they use Audible's own DirectShow codec to directly read the .AA files and convert them. In my experience of literally hundreds of Audible books, about a half dozen failed to covert, and they appeared to be slightly corrupted files.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 09:26 PM   #1761
hwlester
Wizard
hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1, Kindle Touch, misc. Android devices, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
I've posted this before I think, but there ARE good solutions that are fast and provide high quality MP3 or M4b files as output. (Or any other format you can think of, frankly.) They are not simple "real-time" solutions, but do a full conversion at speeds up to 400x on my laptop. The one I use is dBpoweramp. More than that I don't think forum rules will allow me to say, but the key thing to understand is that they use Audible's own DirectShow codec to directly read the .AA files and convert them. In my experience of literally hundreds of Audible books, about a half dozen failed to covert, and they appeared to be slightly corrupted files.
The only problem with that is that the Audible DirectShow codec is old and no longer supported. I tried it and was not too happy with the quality of the conversion: I think it only supports up to Audible format 3 (not 4 or enhanced). It's been a while since I tried it, though.
hwlester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 11:38 PM   #1762
septentrion
Addict
septentrion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.septentrion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.septentrion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.septentrion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.septentrion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.septentrion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.septentrion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.septentrion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.septentrion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.septentrion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.septentrion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2014, Kindle Voyage and Kindle Oasis 2
I have another question: are the Sync book we get through the overdrive console protected? They show as .mp3 on my laptop and never thought they might need to be backed up.
septentrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 11:48 PM   #1763
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
I am wondering if part of my problem is I using Win 8... cant seem to find instructions on it.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 12:48 AM   #1764
hwlester
Wizard
hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1, Kindle Touch, misc. Android devices, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by septentrion View Post
I have another question: are the Sync book we get through the overdrive console protected? They show as .mp3 on my laptop and never thought they might need to be backed up.
They are unprotected, but backing them up elsewhere is still a good idea. Apparently a recent update to OMC on iOS removed all existing audiobooks. For purchased or checked out books, theoretically you can redownload, but for ones through the Sync promotion, that's not an option.
hwlester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 12:59 AM   #1765
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwlester View Post
The only problem with that is that the Audible DirectShow codec is old and no longer supported. I tried it and was not too happy with the quality of the conversion: I think it only supports up to Audible format 3 (not 4 or enhanced). It's been a while since I tried it, though.
Supports format 4 just fine. Yes it is old, but it works fine. What I've discovered is that you can use the current shipping version of the Audible Manager with the old codec. No, it doesn't work with Enhanced format.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 02:19 AM   #1766
septentrion
Addict
septentrion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.septentrion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.septentrion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.septentrion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.septentrion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.septentrion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.septentrion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.septentrion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.septentrion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.septentrion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.septentrion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2014, Kindle Voyage and Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwlester View Post
They are unprotected, but backing them up elsewhere is still a good idea. Apparently a recent update to OMC on iOS removed all existing audiobooks. For purchased or checked out books, theoretically you can redownload, but for ones through the Sync promotion, that's not an option.
Thanks! I'll just do that!
septentrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 04:56 AM   #1767
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
I updated the stats for the top public libraries based on their OverDrive collections:
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 04:11 PM   #1768
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
I am wondering if part of my problem is I using Win 8... cant seem to find instructions on it.
If you are still referring to SoundTaxi, it works fine with Windows 8.x, including the dragging and dropping mentioned. However, I am not using the trial version, that may be crippled in some way but I don't know what the trial's actual limitations are, if any.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 04:26 PM   #1769
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherCat View Post
If you are still referring to SoundTaxi, it works fine with Windows 8.x, including the dragging and dropping mentioned. However, I am not using the trial version, that may be crippled in some way but I don't know what the trial's actual limitations are, if any.
The trial version is very limited. From the FAQ:

Quote:
SoundTaxi trial (unregistered) version has limitations. Audio conversion is limited to 90 sec and video conversion is limited to 3 min. The trial (unregistered) version of SoundTaxi includes all features of (is equal to) SoundTaxi Pro+VideoRip version. By using this 'try-before-you-buy' version, potential customers can make sure that it is compatible with their computer systems and satisfy all of their requirements and demands before purchasing the full versions.
They have a nice video tutorial here.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 05:33 PM   #1770
MeSue
Geek in the Forest
MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, iPhone 4s, Nexus 7
If anyone decides to buy SoundTaxi, do a search for coupons first. I was able to get $5 off the basic version a couple months ago.
MeSue is offline   Reply With Quote