Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 12-01-2010, 11:52 PM   #1
zeroh
Zealot
zeroh doesn't litterzeroh doesn't litter

Device: nook color
does the color allow you to lock the orientation?

Hi All,
I'm looking to buy the nook color and one thing that is very important to me is to be able to lock the portrait orientation. I usually read lying down in bed on my side with my reader (currently using PSP) on it's side so it's the same orientation as my head. Will the nook color be able to do that or will it always switch to landscape since it's on it's side?
TIA.
zeroh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 12:30 AM   #2
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
If you're reading an epub book there is no landscape option.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 07:54 AM   #3
Snard
Snard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Snard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Snard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Snard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
If you're reading an epub book there is no landscape option.
It might be better to say that for epub books, the orientation is locked by the particular book. The free children's books that B&N give you can only be viewed in landscape, not in portrait.
Snard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 09:29 AM   #4
zeroh
Zealot

ok but what about for other books. is there any general option on the nook to lock the orientation? I heard you can do that on the ipad but i don't want to spend that kind of cash and it's too bulky for me.
Old 12-02-2010, 09:41 AM   #5
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
yes

settings--> Screen-->Orientation

there you can check and uncheck the box for orientation auto rotating.

hope this helps
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 09:44 AM   #6
zeroh
Zealot

sweet! thanks.
Old 12-02-2010, 09:46 AM   #7
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snard View Post
It might be better to say that for epub books, the orientation is locked by the particular book. The free children's books that B&N give you can only be viewed in landscape, not in portrait.
True, thanks. Children's books don't automatically come to mind. They should though.
Old 12-02-2010, 10:08 AM   #8
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroh View Post
sweet! thanks.
You're welcome
Old 12-02-2010, 05:54 PM   #9
LoganK
Groupie
LoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notes

Device: PRS-505,nook,Nook Color,Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
settings--> Screen-->Orientation

there you can check and uncheck the box for orientation auto rotating.
I don't have it in front of me, but I believe it is one of the shortcut options when you tap the clock in the corner (along with brightness and Wi-Fi settings). In this way, you an quickly switch these options from most activities.
LoganK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 09:07 PM   #10
boswd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoganK View Post
I don't have it in front of me, but I believe it is one of the shortcut options when you tap the clock in the corner (along with brightness and Wi-Fi settings). In this way, you an quickly switch these options from most activities.

Yes you are correct sir
Old 12-02-2010, 10:16 PM   #11
Rebo
Groupie
Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook, nook color, kindle 3, Ipad 2nd gen, Nook HD+, Iphone 4S
I don't seem to be able to lock the screen in the landscape mode. When I am reading a magazine or surfing the net in the landscape model, I use the short cut to bring up the quick menu; immediately, the menu and the screen will default to the portrait mode. I can lock it in the portrait mode but not in the landscape mode. I might be doing something wrong but I don't know how to fix it.
Rebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 10:03 AM   #12
zeroh
Zealot

awesome. thanks all for the help. my nook color is on it's way!
Old 12-03-2010, 02:47 PM   #13
exodus1999
Enthusiast
exodus1999 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.exodus1999 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.exodus1999 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook classic, nook color
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebo View Post
I don't seem to be able to lock the screen in the landscape mode. When I am reading a magazine or surfing the net in the landscape model, I use the short cut to bring up the quick menu; immediately, the menu and the screen will default to the portrait mode. I can lock it in the portrait mode but not in the landscape mode. I might be doing something wrong but I don't know how to fix it.

i noticed the same, the fix for me was after rooting using beautiful widgets there is a orientation widget. win.
exodus1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 02:54 PM   #14
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by exodus1999 View Post
i noticed the same, the fix for me was after rooting using beautiful widgets there is a orientation widget. win.
Show off.
Old 12-03-2010, 04:16 PM   #15
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
It's from the Model T school of design theory: You can lock it in any direction you want, as long as it's portrait.
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote