Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-24-2008, 11:31 PM   #31
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaCat View Post
Maybe I should just stick to the exploded version and be happy with that!
Try downloading the GUI version of ConvertLIT. I prefer it to the command line version.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 12:05 AM   #32
MarciaCat
Cat Lady & Trekkie
MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Kobo Aura & Aura H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Try downloading the GUI version of ConvertLIT. I prefer it to the command line version.
That's what I've been using for quite a while. I just thought that with the other version I could get a cleaner version of the one Star Trek: COE book that came out of convertlit looking screwed up (but readable); the chapter headings were off kilter and there were several spaces between the first capitalized letter and the second of the first word in each chapter that didn't occur in the other ST:COE book I converted. Just little things that really bugged me!
MarciaCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2008, 12:06 AM   #33
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
That's what I've been using for quite a while. I just thought that with the other version I could get a cleaner version of the one Star Trek: COE book that came out of convertlit looking screwed up (but readable); the chapter headings were off kilter and there were several spaces between the first capitalized letter and the second of the first word in each chapter that didn't occur in the other ST:COE book I converted. Just little things that really bugged me!
Does the GUI not have the "downconvert" option?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 12:35 AM   #34
MarciaCat
Cat Lady & Trekkie
MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post

BOb
Not anywhere that I can see! But then again I'm just barely computer literate!!
Old 09-25-2008, 12:39 AM   #35
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Fictionwise just said that I needed to download the latest version of MS Reader and activate it. The MS website also said that I already had the latest version and that it was activated. I went to the manual activation page and it refused to take my login. OK, I've forgotten passwords in the past. No combination of email addresses and passwords that I have used in the last few years worked (including the one I had written down for the .NET login. They also would not send me the password as they rejected every email I offered. (I did each one twice as I do not mix up the distorted letters/numbers that often.)

I checked Google and it seems that MS is on a tear to purge everyone of their genreic email accounts except their generic email accounts (hotmail and live.) They are also rejecting major ISPs like Verizon, AOL, Cox, and Comcast as well as private ones such as domains that you may own or educational organizations. I logged into a generic LIVE site using my developer ID (the one that was rejected a few minutes before) and went to account settings. I then opened another tab and went to the manual MS Reader activation page and activated the MS reader. Everything worked fine.

I hope this helps.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2008, 12:53 AM   #36
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Yes. See the attached screenshot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ConvertLIT_GUI.gif
Views:	289
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	16542  
Old 09-25-2008, 01:00 AM   #37
MarciaCat
Cat Lady & Trekkie

Quote:
Yes. See the attached screenshot.
I don't see anything like that! How do I get to that window? (I'm not very computer literate so please be kind!)
Old 09-25-2008, 01:31 AM   #38
wallcraft
reader

Quote:
I don't see anything like that!
The ConvertLIT GUI shortcut icon is like the one for MS Reader. If it is on your desktop, try selecting it. Or select START > All Programs > ebooks > ConvertLIT GUI (the ebooks part might be different in your case).

If this does not work (not there or different from my screenshot), then you have a earlier version of the GUI or something else (perhaps ABC Amber LIT Converter). So get the latest version. There has been a tradition at MobileRead of not linking to the GUI's web site, but it is typically the 1st hit from Google on "ConvertLIT GUI". The web page includes a screenshot very similar to mine. Download ConvertLIT GUI and see if it works for you.
Old 09-25-2008, 01:43 AM   #39
MarciaCat
Cat Lady & Trekkie

Talking

Quote:
I don't see anything like that! How do I get to that window? (I'm not very computer literate so please be kind!)
OMG!! I just had an epiphany re the convertlit GUI and it seems I really AM computer illiterate! What I was using wasn't the GUI; it was the download that came from convertlit.com (if I'm not supposed to list that let me know and I'll remove it) I went back to it and saw the link to download the GUI and downloaded it, ran my problem title through it and then thru calibre and up to my Sony library and it's perfect!!: Thank you to everyone who has helped this novice geek wade her way through!! Without wallcraft's screen capture (another thing I'm clueless on how to do it!!) I wouldn't have realized my error.

I'm so happy now!!

MobileRead to the rescue once more!!!

Did I say how happy I am?!!
Old 09-25-2008, 01:49 AM   #40
MarciaCat
Cat Lady & Trekkie

Thumbs up

Quote:
The ConvertLIT GUI shortcut icon is like the one for MS Reader. If it is on your desktop, try selecting it. Or select START > All Programs > ebooks > ConvertLIT GUI (the ebooks part might be different in your case).

If this does not work (not there or different from my screenshot), then you have a earlier version of the GUI or something else (perhaps ABC Amber LIT Converter). So get the latest version. There has been a tradition at MobileRead of not linking to the GUI's web site, but it is typically the 1st hit from Google on "ConvertLIT GUI". The web page includes a screenshot very similar to mine. Download ConvertLIT GUI and see if it works for you.
I just realized the error of my ways! (see post #39 above) I did find the link at the top of my Google search page!! Thank you so much for your help!!! Everything is perfect now and I don't need the command line stuff.

Old 09-25-2008, 02:06 AM   #41
MarciaCat
Cat Lady & Trekkie

Red face

The 'Downconvert' version is perfect but when I used the 'Extract' option the result ended with an error message when I clicked 'Save to Disk' in calibre, the same as I got when I first tried this title months ago:
Quote:
[Errno 13] Permission denied: u'C:/Documents and Settings/Marcia_2/My Documents/CONVERTED BOOKS\\Robert Greenberger\\Troubleshooting\\Troubleshooting - Robert Greenberger_174.lrf'
Detailed traceback:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "main.py", line 594, in save_to_disk
File "calibre\gui2\library.pyo", line 137, in save_to_disk
File "calibre\library\database.pyo", line 1415, in export_to_dir
IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: u'C:/Documents and Settings/Marcia_2/My Documents/CONVERTED BOOKS\\Robert Greenberger\\Troubleshooting\\Troubleshooting - Robert Greenberger_174.lrf
As long as I've got the downconvert option I'm happy!!

Last edited by MarciaCat; 09-25-2008 at 02:12 AM.
Old 10-07-2008, 06:24 PM   #42
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Use the command line lit2lrf converter. It works for me with the Star Trek SCE eBooks.

lit2lrf --bottom-margin=0 --top-margin=-0 --left-margin=0 --right-margin=0 --wordspace=1.1 --base-font-size=10 "Troubleshooting - Robert Greenberger_174.lrf"

That's what works for me from the command line.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 10:12 PM   #43
llasram
Reticulator of Tharn
llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
The "screwed up" output you describe is due to a known bug in ConvertLIT. If you just use ConvertLIT to strip the DRM (aka "downconvert") then use Calibre to convert/extract the content you should get cleaner-looking results.
llasram is offline   Reply With Quote