Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-22-2011, 03:24 PM   #1
cheswick
cheswick began at the beginning.

Device: none
How to gift a kindle book in Canada?

Hi,

My sister has a birthday coming up and a Kindle so I was thinking of either getting her a gift certificate so she can redeem for books. Or maybe even books themselves.

I was about to get her an amazon.ca gift certificate but then I read it couldn't be redeemed for amazon.com and I think the kindle is through amazon.com

Anyway I was hoping someone could help me. If I bought her a gift certificate from amazon.com would she be able to use it on her Canadian account kindle?

Also if I just bought her a book from amazon.com and clicked to give it as a gift would it be straightforward for her to claim it?

Sorry if these are stupid questions but I can't find any straight answers on the amazon sites.
cheswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 03:56 PM   #2
hunnymonster
Zealot
hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3 wifi, K3 3G, K Touch, K Paperwhite
I'm no expert but it seems to me that the first thing to establish is whether her Kindle is registered against Amazon.com (or Amazon.ca) - otherwise it's pure speculation as to what you need to do.
hunnymonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2011, 10:56 AM   #3
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Hi,

My sister has a birthday coming up and a Kindle so I was thinking of either getting her a gift certificate so she can redeem for books. Or maybe even books themselves.

I was about to get her an amazon.ca gift certificate but then I read it couldn't be redeemed for amazon.com and I think the kindle is through amazon.com

Anyway I was hoping someone could help me. If I bought her a gift certificate from amazon.com would she be able to use it on her Canadian account kindle?

Also if I just bought her a book from amazon.com and clicked to give it as a gift would it be straightforward for her to claim it?

Sorry if these are stupid questions but I can't find any straight answers on the amazon sites.
You should use an Amazon.com gift certificate for Kindle books. Even Canadian registered Kindles get their eBooks through Amazon.com, not Amazon.ca.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 11:41 AM   #4
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
It seems to me that I've heard that there are restrictions on giving gift certificates, etc. to Kindle users in other countries. Why don't you just call Kindle Support and ask them?
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 06:22 PM   #5
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
My son has a Kindle registered to a Canadian (Vancouver) address ... on Amazon.com

I fund him with Amazon.com gift certificates every couple of months. We've never had a problem applying them to the account or using them.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert