Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-06-2011, 02:52 PM   #1
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Amazon making Kindle Appls tailored for Android and Windows Tablets

This is great news. The existing android app is very usable, but any enhancements are always welcomed.

I for one would like to see TTS added and possibly more control on the layout of the screen.

Quote:
SEATTLE--(BUSINESS WIRE)--(NASDAQ: AMZN) – For over two years, Amazon has been building and introducing a wide selection of free “Buy Once, Read Everywhere” Kindle apps to enable customers to read their Kindle books on the most popular devices and platforms. Last year, Amazon tailored a Kindle app specifically for the size, look and feel of the iPad and it has become a top ten free app for iPad. Today, Amazon announced that Kindle apps will also be tailored specifically for Android and Windows based tablets to enable customers to access the Kindle Store, and with it the largest selection of the books people want to read. Like all Kindle apps, the new Kindle apps built for Android and Windows tablet computers will let customers “Buy Once, Read Everywhere”—on Kindle, Kindle 3G, Kindle DX, iPad, iPod touch, iPhone, Mac, PC, BlackBerry, and Android-based devices. For more information about the free Kindle apps, go to www.amazon.com/kindleapps. (more...)

Last edited by =X=; 01-06-2011 at 06:33 PM. Reason: Added bold in quotes
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 05:39 PM   #2
LaurieGator
Crazy Cat Lady
LaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kindle 2i, Nook Color (Rooted)
YUP! This was the main reason that I rooted the Nook Color. I love the Kindle for Android on my Nook :-)
LaurieGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2011, 06:33 PM   #3
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Absolutely, hopefully folks with rooted NC will be able to download the enhanced version of the Kindle App.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:03 PM   #4
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurieGator View Post
YUP! This was the main reason that I rooted the Nook Color. I love the Kindle for Android on my Nook :-)
And Jeff Bezos is laughing all the way to the bank. (grins)
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 04:29 AM   #5
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
And Jeff Bezos is laughing all the way to the bank. (grins)
Admit it, it was a fantastic idea! Develop a reader for your ebooks and make an application that will run on a multiple of platforms and devices and which will keep all your platforms and devices synced...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2011, 05:20 AM   #6
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kindle Paperwhite 10
Multiplatform readers. To venture out on a limb and make a wild assumption, having not personally checked what those appls will do, too bad they'll support only Amazon formats (mobi, azw, etc).
unboggling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:17 AM   #7
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I agree that it is brilliant.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 12:33 PM   #8
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by unboggling View Post
Multiplatform readers. To venture out on a limb and make a wild assumption, having not personally checked what those appls will do, too bad they'll support only Amazon formats (mobi, azw, etc).
Not so bad since other competent apps exist for the alternate formats. And the reading experiences are similar enough it doesn't much matter. And its not as the ePub apps even bother with Mobi support. Amazon isn't doing anything the others (Kobo/Borders, B&N, etc) aren't doing.

On my PB IQ I use Kindle to read the Mobi formats and access the Kindle store.
For DRM-free ebooks I have a choice of Aldiko 1.2.xx, FBreaderJ, Coolcalc3, and the PBReader app.
For Library ebooks (and audiobooks) I have the Overdrive app.
If I cared to buy Adobe ADEPT DRM'ed epubs I could install Aldiko 2.0 or the upcoming Sony app. (Or wait for the finalized PBReader.)
To access my Fictionwise buys, I have eReader.

The only thing keeping the IQ from being a universal reader is LIT support. If only Stanza would show up on Android...
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote