Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 08-08-2007, 09:27 AM   #1
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Where did you first hear about the Sony Reader or iRex Iliad?

Sometimes we almost take it for granted that the whole world is familiar with the various e-book devices. The Sony Reader, for example, has been on the tech news, and is advertised on-line and in magazines.

With PDAs, I remember that when I was working in a marketing department, I saw a few Palm Pilots. But it was only when I saw a WSJ article and then an advertisement in a local office supply store that I really paid attention in a serious way, and decided to get one.

So how did you first hear about your reading device, which one is it, and what caused you to first think seriously about buying one?
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 09:41 AM   #2
sammykrupa
Reader of the Reader
sammykrupa doesn't littersammykrupa doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
The TWiT podcast covered the Librie, researched that and eventually I later heard about the Reader (via Gizmodo).
sammykrupa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 09:54 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I first heard about the Sony Reader when it was announced that Borders would be selling it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 10:20 AM   #4
Gadzooks Mike
Gadzooks Mike began at the beginning.

I have been reading books on my palm pilot for years. When I read about the Sony, I put my name on their mailing list, and was very excited when they finally notified me of the release date. It's just exactly what I wanted, too!
Gadzooks Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 10:38 AM   #5
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
January 2006 on Engadget. A week later here on MR. I read threads here occasionally until May when I happily joined in.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 11:07 AM   #6
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
I have been following e-ink development for more than 10 years. I was already thinking about getting the librie, but it was just not good enough yet.
So i knew about the development of the sony and the iLiad from press releases.

I ordered the iLiad as soon as it was available. It was just the first. I havent seen the Sony yet, but i might get one soon. I have seen the starereader and liked its weight and size for casual reading. And i can't wait to get my hands on a cybook, which should be able to read PDF aswell as mobipocket books.

So no coincidence here. And i am looking forward to the new displays from plasticlogic.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 11:27 AM   #7
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
I first heard about the Sony Reader here on Mobileread & ordered it. Had read about the Iliad somewhere else but don't remember where.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 02:23 PM   #8
robyn
robyn began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader / htc wizard / tablet pc
I saw the Sony in a sonystyle store in Dec 06 and then ran home to research it. I saw a bit of info about the iLiad, but liked the price of the Sony better (full disclosure: I got a discount through my employer on it). Within a few days, I was back at the store making my purchase, and now it is the most asked about item I travel with.
robyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 02:55 PM   #9
EatingPie
Blueberry!
EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (RIP); PRS-600 (Good Riddance); PRS-505; PRS-650; PRS-350
I too have been following e-Ink since its introduction, though I don't know where I first got wind of it. I was hot on the trail of the Librie forever, but could never justify importing one, so I waited for the inevitable US release of the Reader.

The reason I so closely followed e-Ink is because the site I'm associated with is actually built entirely around the philosophy that people DO NOT WANT TO READ ON A COMPUTER MONITOR. War and Peace on a PowerBook? No thanks, Mr Eye Strain.

My benefactor developed his site with that in mind, writing very short stories. That way it was something people could read online, but not kill their eyes. Most of the stories are about a half printed page, some as short as 2 words, others as long as 2048 (a typical "short story" length).

http://www.storybytes.com

I used some of the stories as samples in my pielrf application.

Anyway, I have long been awaiting the Reader. I had planned to wait for a price drop but my neighbor got one for Christmas from her husband -- both of them being totally computer clueless! When I saw her Reader in Real Life, I started saving up!

-Pie
EatingPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 03:00 PM   #10
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by EatingPie View Post
... No thanks, Mr Eye Strain...

Now that's funny!
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 03:09 PM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
slashdot!
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 03:45 PM   #12
anotherchance
Zealot
anotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-505
I had been keeping an eye on the Libire so had a Google News alert setup for it. When the Reader was announced, the Librie was mentioned of course, so voilà!
anotherchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 04:04 PM   #13
The GreatGonzo
Old Yeller
The GreatGonzo is on a distinguished road

Device: Iliad & Kindle - The Best of Both Worlds
Early in 2006, I was over on teleread.org for some reason (can't remember why; it's a great site, but I really wasn't interested in e-books at the time) and the whole "it looks like paper!" part caught my eye. Went quickly from that to comparing specs to deciding on the Iliad to whiling away the days on mobileread (ommmm!) to finally getting the actual device in August...
The GreatGonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 04:08 PM   #14
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
I was never happy reading on my cell phone, if I was stuck somewhere it was a bit better than reading the laundry and care labels on my socks. I read somewhere (Gizmod?) that the improved Sony had been released in the US and I did a bit of research. The iLiad, available in Europe, was out of the price range and the other eink offerings were either vaborware or not available anywhere I was. I saw the Reader at a Boarders and bought it on the spot (my wife said I should buy it before I even said a thing.) It is a lot more enjoyable than reading the labels on my socks ("wash in cold water, do not ....")
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 12:23 AM   #15
13xforever
Connoisseur
13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H₂O & iPad Pro 2020 12.9"
To be honest, I've tried reading eBooks on every mobile device I ever had. Most of them were cell phones, and now it's Sony PSP.
And what about eInk devices, then I've been track their tech progress since lab prototypes some years ago.
Recently some magazines have been born in Russia -- "Мир фантастики" ("World of Fantasy|Fiction") and "Mobi" -- which are narrowly follow the evolution of mobile reading devices (though, that is not their primary goal).
--
Offtopic: It's shame, that many manufacturers disallow legally extend software components of their devices (and I didn't mean "haven't bored to give some kind of SDK", but actually block any possibility -- Sony's PSP would be a good example of such a platform). But on the other side, writing various converters for some devices was one of the funniest things that I ever had done.
13xforever is offline   Reply With Quote