Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-07-2009, 11:12 PM   #1
nsaspook
nsaspook began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
PRS-600 for Tech library

I'm testing a PRS-600 at work for a possible factory (clean-room) doc reader. I have about 3000 pdf files taking about 3GB of storage just for one equipment group. The files are in separate equipment folders on a network drive that we normally access using a windows based PC and acrobat reader.
Should I leave the files as pdfs, or convert them to a better format for the sony reader? Many of the files are large format 11x17 scans and contain a large amount of electronic circuits and wiring so there will be lots of zooming. I have a master index of the files that matches the title to a 10 digit file name for the pdfs so creating index/metadata conversion for a batch operation should be possible..
nsaspook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 10:53 AM   #2
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Some time ago I worked with a company to convert their tech manuals to the PRS-500. On the 500 the PDF zoom (size change button) would only eliminate the white space around the PDF image. It never made the image readable. This was for 8.5" x 11" letter sized PDF files. 11" x 17" images did not display at all.

There are two possible routes as I see it:

1. Use a program to cut the PDF images into chunks that will display in the 600 or
2. Reformat the PDF files to display correctly on the 600.

Since the 600 uses the same display matrix size as the earlier units, the enclosed formatting instructions from Sony for creating a PDF are still valid. I used them and the company was very happy with the result.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Guide for creating PDFs for the Reader rev 1.1.pdf (1,019.0 KB, 373 views)
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2009, 03:06 PM   #3
nsaspook

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
Some time ago I worked with a company to convert their tech manuals to the PRS-500. On the 500 the PDF zoom (size change button) would only eliminate the white space around the PDF image. It never made the image readable. This was for 8.5" x 11" letter sized PDF files. 11" x 17" images did not display at all.

There are two possible routes as I see it:

1. Use a program to cut the PDF images into chunks that will display in the 600 or
2. Reformat the PDF files to display correctly on the 600.

Since the 600 uses the same display matrix size as the earlier units, the enclosed formatting instructions from Sony for creating a PDF are still valid. I used them and the company was very happy with the result.
Thanks for that link. I'll run some of the worst docs into Adobe Acrobat Pro using the Sony settings. The 600 zoom actually works well on large format pdf images but it's pretty slow. We don't plan to use the reader as the primary display device but sometimes while working inside a large machine it would be nice to pull-up a diagram or procedure quickly.
Old 09-09-2009, 08:47 PM   #4
nsaspook

Security chain lock.

What combo lock security chain works with the PRS-600? I need a way to lock it to a metal cart with the charging/sync computer when it's not in use.
Old 09-10-2009, 03:33 PM   #5
nsaspook

PDF diagrams and gif image display.

I'm still tweaking the setting for PDF file conversion. Fine line images are a little light when printed using the sony settings. Some sample images and a short video.

Diagrams

GIF images

Video of diagram zoom and selection. My little camera had a hard time with this.

http://www.flickr.com/video_download.gne?id=3907707268
Advert