Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-16-2007, 05:03 AM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I did manage to load an IMP file into Wordpad and strip out the junk and also figure out what some of the symbols meant for a search & replace. And I have removed the extra space between the paragraphs and I think it came out pretty good when I was done. Just have to load the LRF now onto the reader.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 09:04 AM   #17
Muskrat
Enthusiast
Muskrat began at the beginning.

Device: prs500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonraker
It depends what programme created the imp file.

If it was made using ebook Publisher by ebook technologies inc. then you will find straight text sandwiched between a very large header and footer.
Yes. That would be it. Most of my imp files were made with ebook publisher. I have just checked one that I purchased from ebookwise and I see what you mean!
Sorry, in that case I'm stumped.........
Muskrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-17-2007, 04:41 PM   #18
vvv
Zealot
vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iLiad, Librie, REB1100, GEB2150, GEB1150, etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT
What are "imp" files?
The imp format was initially developed by SoftBook company and used in their e-book device called SoftBook. Then, several years later, the imp format appeared in the following devices fabricated by GemStar: REB1200/GEB2150 (color versions of SoftBook), and GEB1150 (gray scale version of REB1100). Then, as far as I know, a couple of years ago GemStar transfered (or sold) the format rights and the rest of non-sold devices to eBook Technologies.

More or less detailed imp description can be found here
http://krausyaoj.tripod.com/reb1200.htm

P.S. At the beginning of imp-files there is a sgnature BOOKDOUG.

Last edited by vvv; 04-17-2007 at 04:56 PM.
vvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 09:42 PM   #19
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
I had found that page previously, but it didn't have anything really useful for getting data out of the IMP format. What I think is wrong (or correct, if you will) is that the files from non-Book Publisher sources are compressed using the LZSS algorithm, hence the reason no human-readable text is available. I draw this conclusion from what I found on the website previously referenced and the fact that the data file holding the bulk of the eBook (data.frk) uses a known file extension. Unfortunately, the few decompressors I found for the LZSS format either a) crashed (very old code) or b) simply did not work.

Not sure where to continue with this other than to use the method I've been using. Thanks for the tip, hopefully someone with more ninja skills than mine will cobble together some for of IMP text extractor.
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 04:13 PM   #20
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Thumbs up The first step in (from) IMP conversion...

See Converting .IMP to anything? WE ARE NOW THERE! for a solution to this problem.

There you will find deimp.exe, the text decompressor (extractor) for .imp files which are (LZSS) compressed. It is based on the LZSS source code (lzss-0.6.zip) created by Michael Dipperstein (mdipper@alumni.engr.ucsb.edu). More information on LZSS encoding may be found at: http://michael.dipperstein.com/lzss

The extracted text (with no images/hyperlinks) can then be easily converted by BookDesigner or equivalent.
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2008, 05:54 PM   #21
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
See Converting .IMP to anything? WE ARE NOW THERE! for a solution to this problem.

There you will find deimp.exe, the text decompressor (extractor) for .imp files which are (LZSS) compressed. It is based on the LZSS source code (lzss-0.6.zip) created by Michael Dipperstein (mdipper@alumni.engr.ucsb.edu). More information on LZSS encoding may be found at: http://michael.dipperstein.com/lzss

The extracted text (with no images/hyperlinks) can then be easily converted by BookDesigner or equivalent.
Thanks! I bookmarked it!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote