Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

View Poll Results: gane of thrones: good reads?
yep 88 61.97%
nope 17 11.97%
its okay 18 12.68%
option 4 19 13.38%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-26-2012, 10:58 PM   #1
hard-boiled pat
The Night Was Moist
hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo,kindle,supernova, playbook
Game of Thrones

Just started reading book one... anyone have opinions of this series?
hard-boiled pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:08 PM   #2
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!
SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-900(unused lately) iPadAir2, want me Kindle Oasis
Don't know about the reading, but the HBO series is great! Maybe i should get some books; books are usually better than the TV or movie.
SneakySnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 02:13 AM   #3
AndrewH
Fanatic
AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, & Kobo Mini
Books 1 - 3 are incredible and I would heartily recommend them! Books 4 and 5... well, let's just say it would have been better if the series had remained unfinished at book 3.

I couldn't put book 5 down, not because it was great, but because I couldn't wait to be done with it and move on to a better book. It's sad that's the best thing I can say about it.
AndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 02:26 AM   #4
VaporPunk
Evangelist
VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 + Asus Transformer
I would say AndrewH has it about right but is being a lot harsher on books 4 and 5 than I would be. Books 1-3 were fantastic, up there with the best fantasy ever, imo. I loved them. I like books 4 and 5 and still want more. I'm being milked, but I've been milked for far less(er) quality.
VaporPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 02:46 AM   #5
flipreads
Connoisseur
flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I loved the series. I think book four was the weakest but book five was good writing, although it lacked perspectives of certain characters.
flipreads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 04:34 AM   #6
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Hmmm...

Stop at 3 - always leave the table wanting more .........
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 04:46 AM   #7
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I haven't read them, so I went for option 4. For such a long series I'd rather like to wait until it's complete before starting.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 06:50 AM   #8
ElsieC
Zealot
ElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmos

Device: Sony PRS-505
I think I am in the minority. I didn't enjoy Book #1 and I really wanted to. I finished it to see what happened and because I kept hoping I would like it more. There were some elements that I did like, but not enough to want to continue with the series.
ElsieC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 08:38 AM   #9
HoopyFrood
Zealot
HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cruz e-reader, 2 Kindles and a Kindle DX, Sanza Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElsieC View Post
I think I am in the minority. I didn't enjoy Book #1 and I really wanted to. I finished it to see what happened and because I kept hoping I would like it more. There were some elements that I did like, but not enough to want to continue with the series.
In the minority perhaps, but not alone. I simply couldn't finish the first book in the series. It sounded pretty good, but just too tedious for words. I'm glad I got it from the library, I would have been unhappy to have paid for it.

I don't watch HBO so have no idea how the TV series is.
HoopyFrood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 08:44 AM   #10
tecweston
Comic book artist
tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight, iPad, iPhone
I read them all over the course of the last year. One of my favorite series ever.
tecweston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:08 AM   #11
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Initial love followed by much consternation, frustration and eventual "meh, not really worth the time investment."
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:13 AM   #12
Shack70
Guru
Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 10", Honor 8 Android Phone
I read book 1 and 2. Between the high number of characters and the lack of action Game of Thrones is an acuired taste. I have no desire to read book 3 and I am still kicking myself for reading book 2.
Shack70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 12:00 AM   #13
Indio777
Addict
Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Mobile Phone, Kindle (rarely), but mostly still read paper
I have read books 1-4, but refuse to read more for now. I think it is a good series if you like the genre (as I do), but the intervals between volumes has gotten too long. I am waiting until Martin finishes, if he ever does. Am hoping the HBO series will encourage him to do so. He's not getting any younger and I would prefer this not turn into a Robert Jordan "Wheel of Time" type thing.

The HBO series is pretty good so far, although like a lot of people, I think there is too much "skin" at times. I know, it's HBO, but still .... I do not think that most of it adds anything to the plot/storyline. It can be a distraction.
Indio777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 05:31 PM   #14
AndrewH
Fanatic
AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, & Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indio777 View Post
The HBO series is pretty good so far, although like a lot of people, I think there is too much "skin" at times. I know, it's HBO, but still .... I do not think that most of it adds anything to the plot/storyline. It can be a distraction.
There was plenty of "skin" in the books, too. I don't care to guess on GRRM's personal tastes, but in ASOIAF he's disturbingly focused on the female anatomy.
AndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 06:11 PM   #15
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I haven't read them, so I went for option 4. For such a long series I'd rather like to wait until it's complete before starting.
You may well be in for a very long wait ..........
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote