Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-21-2010, 09:34 AM   #1
rleguillow
Always Reading
rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: FW 1192, PRS-700, kobo, Rocket, PRS-650, Nook Glow, Kobo Glo, others
Looking for Light

Hi folks. I'm the happy owner of a Sony PRS-700. Understanding the objections to the reading clarity that a lot of people feel due to the double screen, I selected it anyway - I like the touchscreen and I really like the light. I am often reading in low-light or even no-light situations, and that built-in light is wonderful. No fiddling around, no extra pieces to carry around and not have handy when needed, no special expensive cover... So it isn't as clear as the 505 - it is WORLDS better than the eBookwise I had previously!

BUT yesterday I noticed the outside bezel on my reader is coming away from the rest of it (the silver trim piece on the top, bottom and right side). Not good. Of course, it is two months out of warranty, and Sony doesn't sell them anymore. I am starting research on a replacement, to be ready if/when it dies.

Top runner at the moment is the Aztak (HanLin, BeBook).

However, I wonder - are there any other e-ink ebooks available with a built-in light? I know the eBookwise and others like it have backlighting (been there, done that) but e-ink is so much easier on the eyes. But I'm not finding this information readily available, not even on the ebook matrix at https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-book_Reader_Matrix. The PRS-700 is on that matrix, but the light is not mentioned, so I don't know what others might have lighting which is not mentioned.

Any advice?
rleguillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 11:59 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'm certainly not aware of any other eInk device with a built-in light. There are, of course, any number of backlit LCD tablet PCs, and the like.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2010, 09:23 AM   #3
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
I use my Palm Zire72, when reading in the dark...
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 08:21 PM   #4
AZMerf
AZMerf began at the beginning.

Device: nook (Feb 12)
iPad!
AZMerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 11:07 PM   #5
rleguillow
Always Reading
rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: FW 1192, PRS-700, kobo, Rocket, PRS-650, Nook Glow, Kobo Glo, others
Thanks, AzMerf, but no thanks. Looking for an ebook reader, not another computer. And since my nearly new iPod has already croaked, I'm not too happy with Apple right now anyway!
rleguillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert