Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-05-2015, 01:23 PM   #301
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
No, I don't. This may encourage customers to "travel" when purchasing digital products.
I'm quite lazy and have avoided travel, but 20 percent would do it for me!
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 02:56 PM   #302
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearMountainBooks View Post
I'm quite lazy and have avoided travel, but 20 percent would do it for me!
20% of $9.99 ?

Most expensive Baen ebook.
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2015, 03:22 PM   #303
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little.Egret View Post
20% of $9.99 ?

Most expensive Baen ebook.
I'd travel for that. I'm that person in the grocery store who stands in front of the olive oil to determine how much each ounce costs in various bottles. Then, I'll wander off and check coconut oil, all while pondering whether I should try Red Palm Oil because I've heard good things about it. Then I'll recall the article on how most olive oils have been found to be "watered down" with canola, get irritated by the whole process and start over with the per ounce of peanut oil...

Meanwhile if I don't have a coupon for X, I won't even shop for it...
Old 01-05-2015, 03:44 PM   #304
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Seems Nook has issues with the VAT laws:
http://carolynjewel.com/wordpress/20...ces-in-the-eu/

Shocking, I know.
I'm no longer shocked by B&N's incompetence.

I am, however, still a little bit awed by it...
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 04:11 PM   #305
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I'd travel for that. I'm that person in the grocery store who stands in front of the olive oil to determine how much each ounce costs in various bottles. Then, I'll wander off and check coconut oil, all while pondering whether I should try Red Palm Oil because I've heard good things about it. Then I'll recall the article on how most olive oils have been found to be "watered down" with canola, get irritated by the whole process and start over with the per ounce of peanut oil...

Meanwhile if I don't have a coupon for X, I won't even shop for it...
My wife gets annoyed when I do stuff like that. But I do it because it saves money and I'm right and she's not.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2015, 04:15 PM   #306
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider

Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
I'm no longer shocked by B&N's incompetence.

I am, however, still a little bit awed by it...
It is awe inspiring. And I confess to being a little bit shocked. When they started a POD service, I was pretty amazed that they didn't even try to compete with Amazon on price or features. Why bother if you aren't going to compete with what is already out there???
Old 01-16-2015, 08:14 AM   #307
happysnapper22
Connoisseur
happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2 & PW3
Whats the difference between Extorsion and Tax?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Not at all, old boy, but I do happen to think that tax evasion is a particularly egregious offence, because it's stealing from everyone.

I would have thought that this news would be welcomed with open arms by people (and there have been plenty here at MR) who claimed that companies like Amazon were avoiding paying VAT by selling from countries like Luxembourg which have low VAT rates. This change in EU law is designed to close that specific tax loophole, and provide a level playing-field for everyone.
The criminal uses threats of violence to extort money from you, the state use threats of more extortion (sorry tax) or prison to get your money off you.
happysnapper22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 02:11 PM   #308
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Does anyone actually have any evidence yet of prices increasing post 1 January?
chrisridd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 04:01 PM   #309
bathos
Zealot
bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone XS, iPad Pro, iPad Air 2, kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisridd View Post
I've been checking on my wish list and some prices haven't changed but some have jumped a lot. I've a lot of books in the £6 range that are now £1 more. Seems to depend on the publisher. A lot of the books from major publishers don't seem to have changed but the smaller publishers have.
bathos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 04:05 PM   #310
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle Scribe, PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Yes, I have. The average increase is £1.00, books that I buy are $6.99 when bought from AllRomance, they now charge $8.40. The Amazon equivalent (it fluctuates due to the exchange rate) was £4.34 and is now £5.39.

Last edited by Josieb1; 01-18-2015 at 04:08 PM.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 05:00 PM   #311
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider

Indie books went up, but there was an option to eat the cost, so some may not have gone up. Then there is price matching that goes on and so for some books, Amazon may be matching a lower price elsewhere as some companies are slower to implement.
Old 01-19-2015, 01:43 PM   #312
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Indie books went up, but there was an option to eat the cost, so some may not have gone up. Then there is price matching that goes on and so for some books, Amazon may be matching a lower price elsewhere as some companies are slower to implement.
Interesting - I guess it is still early days as publishers are finding out how to best handle the change.

I haven't personally noticed any change beyond the usual random fluctuations, but I do tend to just buy from the major publishers.
chrisridd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 05:51 PM   #313
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider

Quote:
Interesting - I guess it is still early days as publishers are finding out how to best handle the change.

I haven't personally noticed any change beyond the usual random fluctuations, but I do tend to just buy from the major publishers.
It's quite possible some will eat part or all of the cost and perhaps gradually raise the prices. Who knows? It's a headache when it comes to price matching. There were several blog posts that no one knew what B&N was doing about it, but the general consensus was they'd leave the price alone and add the VAT at checkout. Well, that makes indie books on Amazon appear to be priced higher--and Amazon will then match back down and take the difference from the author. And so on. I think Kobo add the VAT after purchase price too. Shrug. Some publishers might not have wanted it to be obvious or perhaps it is taking them time to work it in across various countries.
Old 01-20-2015, 08:24 PM   #314
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
So how much did it cost the BPHs to get the EU to say that eBooks are not real books and to charge full VAT on them when in fact they are real books and should not have any more VAT charged then pBooks? This does smack of bribes.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 06:17 AM   #315
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle Scribe, PW SE & Kindle 2022
I actually bought a book last night from a small U.S. independent publisher and was presently suprised to not be charged UK Tax. Not sure how long before they add it on at checkout (which is the way most of my sellers are doing) but until they do I'm happy

Another small US independent publisher that is adding the vat on at checkout has now started to offer 25% off codes in their monthly newsletter, plus they sent an email out yesterday with a second 25% off code for January. I wonder if they are seeing sales dropping.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote