Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 03:14 PM   #76
Kevin R
Banned
Kevin R has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Kevin R has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Kevin R has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Kevin R has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Kevin R has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: FluxCapacitor
Quote:
Originally Posted by clintbradford View Post
>> ... The original post NEVER mentioned the US ...

It does mention contacting the "FTC" - which, last time I looked, was the US' "Federal Trade Commission."

Or maybe you're right, and it's the "French Ticked-off Consumers" bureau. Of the "Finland Tired Customers" department. Or the "Formosa ... "
The original poster is just smarter than all of us.

The FTC would be a good place to start and lodge a complaint against the a US company if you had no other information.

Once again all, please read the OP, it makes for informed discussion.
Old 08-08-2010, 03:20 PM   #77
Kevin R
Banned
Kevin R has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Kevin R has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Kevin R has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Kevin R has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Kevin R has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

[QUOTE=kindlekitten;1048920]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin R View Post

get my belly full of whiners pretty easy, but that is far from angry

actually if you had been a member of this forum very long,
Again calling people 'whiners' is uncivil and off topic. Also, why are you so angry and upset about new members with different views?

Please try to stay on topic and so to get back...

The OP has a very valid concern and is not a 'whiner'. Pointing out that the policy is global, is valid given that Amazon is a global company. Theyt need to consider all customers.
Advert
Old 08-08-2010, 03:29 PM   #78
Kevin2960
YODA's Uglier Twin
Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600 and 2 Kindle 3's - and now a K4 + HTC Desire HD
This is not uncommon or unusual, many online companies insist on credit card payment even for free items or to even register on the site,

Whatever we think of it, it's not illegal, they can decide who they serve and type of payment just as any store can, No shop HAS to take cash, even if it is perfectly legal tender, thay can just refuse to serve the person, same principle,

I'm afraid you have a choice, use Amazon or don't, if you use them, you have just the choices for paying !
Old 08-08-2010, 03:35 PM   #79
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
B&N does the same. I decided not to give them my CC info as none of their free books were a must have.
Old 08-08-2010, 03:45 PM   #80
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Thornton View Post
Banks don't like cheques, but they still work in the UK. Particularly useful for paying plumbers/builders etc. - not what I'd use for ebusiness.
They do still work, but a date has been set for their abolition - I think it's 2017. You'll really struggle to find any shop, petrol station, etc, who will accept cheques these days. I've only written out 3 cheques in the last year.
Advert
Old 08-08-2010, 04:14 PM   #81
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
[QUOTE=Kevin R;1048938]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post

Again calling people 'whiners' is uncivil and off topic. Also, why are you so angry and upset about new members with different views?

Please try to stay on topic and so to get back...

The OP has a very valid concern and is not a 'whiner'. Pointing out that the policy is global, is valid given that Amazon is a global company. Theyt need to consider all customers.
gee who died and made you the on topic wrangler? get over yourself. like yesterday

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
They do still work, but a date has been set for their abolition - I think it's 2017. You'll really struggle to find any shop, petrol station, etc, who will accept cheques these days. I've only written out 3 cheques in the last year.
yep, thought I remembered that conversation!
Old 08-08-2010, 04:26 PM   #82
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Gas (petrol) stations here in the US haven't accepted checks in ages either. I personally wouldn't mind seeing checks go away, they're a nuisance, but a few stores only take a very limited selection of plastic.
Old 08-08-2010, 04:54 PM   #83
geemac
Enthusiast
geemac began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 3G, Nook Glowlight, Nook HD+,Kobo Touch,Kindle Paper
Quote:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8569895.stm
Old 08-08-2010, 05:06 PM   #84
Kevin R
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
get over yourself. like yesterday

Please let me remind you to once again please stay on topic and follow the guidelines for posting (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/faq...ing_guidelines).

Continued attacks and off topic discussion is not welcome or productive.

Back on topic...

The original poster might want to consider filing with the Better Business Buraeu of Washington State (http://alaskaoregonwesternwashington.bbb.org/)

Last edited by Kevin R; 08-08-2010 at 05:08 PM.
Old 08-08-2010, 05:10 PM   #85
Ben Thornton
Guru
Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 2 (but not for e-books)
The original poster might also want to consider whether they have a case. In my view, they do not and, as others have said, are wasting everyone's time (including their own).
Old 08-08-2010, 05:23 PM   #86
Kevin R
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Thornton View Post
The original poster might also want to consider whether they have a case. In my view, they do not and, as others have said, are wasting everyone's time (including their own).
The original poster believes that they 'have a case' and should be encouraged to peruse any avenue available if they believe they are wronged. The fact that one party, or a group of people, believes that their time is wasted is no reason to not peruse an issue. Within any legal system or regulatory body, both parties believe that they are right and the other is wrong etc. With the logic above, taken to the extreme, all complaints should be dismissed everywhere.
Old 08-08-2010, 05:31 PM   #87
geemac
Enthusiast
geemac began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 3G, Nook Glowlight, Nook HD+,Kobo Touch,Kindle Paper
Quote:
The original poster believes that they 'have a case' and should be encouraged to peruse any avenue available if they believe they are wronged. The fact that one party, or a group of people, believes that their time is wasted is no reason to not peruse an issue. Within any legal system or regulatory body, both parties believe that they are right and the other is wrong etc. With the logic above, taken to the extreme, all complaints should be dismissed everywhere.
Amen
Old 08-08-2010, 05:31 PM   #88
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo, Kindles 2/3/Keyboard/Fire/Fire HD, HDX.
KevinR >> ... The amazon policy is indeed discriminatory against folks that do not have credit cards ...

KevinR - I have re-re-read all 19 of your posts you've made while a member here. Only one has any "merit" (well, make that TWO, 'cause you repeated yourself later) - "merit" being defined as responding to the original post with original ideas or solutions or helpful material, or to on-topic points brought up in subsequent posts.

And your one point is, well, misguided, to say the least.

You open the door and enter a sushi restaurant, and you shouldn't expect to be able to purchase a hamburger. No, the restaurant is NOT discriminating against meat lovers. You can read the menu before sitting down, and you should not expect to be able to add items at your whim.

At Amazon.com, all company policies and procedures are posted where anyone - in any country on the planet - can read them. And you should not expect to be able to alter those published policies just to fit your set of circumstances. Don't like their policies? Ask them if they can alter them for you - a little arrogant for an individual to ask arguably the world's largest bookstore to change their policies, but exceptions might be able to be made. But to request major changes is rather insulting, and should be dismissed. And you simply delete that bookmark, and find someone who will be more attractive to you and meet your requirements.

'Course, you'll be spending more money at the smaller concerns ... But you have your set of requirements. Sometimes standing up for what you want costs a little more.

Power to the people.
Old 08-08-2010, 05:36 PM   #89
Ben Thornton
Guru
Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 2 (but not for e-books)
Quote:
Are you suggesting that anyone who thinks that they have a case should pursue it? That one should never disagree with them if it seems plain to you that they don't have a case at all?

That strikes me as an odd position. I wasn't saying that people shouldn't pursue a case if anyone disagrees with them. I was saying that there isn't a case against Amazon for insisting that you register a credit card before they will deal with you. They don't accept PayPal either. Nor can I barter with them using chickens.

My point is that, in this case, I don't think that there is a case
Old 08-08-2010, 05:40 PM   #90
Kevin R
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintbradford View Post
KevinR >> ... The amazon policy is indeed discriminatory against folks that do not have credit cards ...

KevinR - I have re-re-read all 19 of your posts you've made while a member here.

a little arrogant for an individual to ask arguably the world's largest bookstore to change their policies, but exceptions might be able to be made.

Power to the people.

Again, I am shocked and dismayed at the level of hostility to new members of the community, the number of posts has no bearing on the merit of the argument. Perhaps you should also point out the merit less comments from the 1000+ posters? I think you will not.

As for your last, point I can only say that the level of inconsistency exhibited does nothing to help your argument. In one part you want to cave-in and suggest that individuals have no rights given how 'large' a corporation is, then on the other you make the cute statement power to the people.

Back on topic...

To the original poster, if you would like to log a complaint in the UK I would suggest the Office of Fair Trade (http://www.oft.gov.uk/)

Last edited by Kevin R; 08-08-2010 at 05:46 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
complaint