Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-11-2015, 10:32 AM   #16
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Nothing happens to them. You won't be able to read books with DRM while your Kindle is unregistered, but you will as soon as you register it again. Nothing gets deleted.
Actually, the part that I bolded is not true at all. I just tested it out. In fact, I was even able to keep reading a book that I had on there that was part of Kindle Unlimited.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 10:35 AM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
Actually, the part that I bolded is not true at all. I just tested it out. In fact, I was even able to keep reading a book that I had on there that was part of Kindle Unlimited.

Shari
That's interesting. It's certainly the case that if you register the Kindle to a different account, you can't read books that you put on it for the original account. I hadn't realised that you could read DRM-protected books if it wasn't registered at all. Thanks for the correction (not that it changes the basis of what I was saying, which is that nothing gets removed by deregistering and reregistering ).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2015, 10:37 AM   #18
rowanmoor
rowanmoor can extract oil from cheeserowanmoor can extract oil from cheeserowanmoor can extract oil from cheeserowanmoor can extract oil from cheeserowanmoor can extract oil from cheeserowanmoor can extract oil from cheeserowanmoor can extract oil from cheeserowanmoor can extract oil from cheese

Device: none
Thanks for the confirmation Rob and Harry. I will de and re-register it then and have a play with the goodreads integration.
rowanmoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 10:44 AM   #19
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
That's interesting. It's certainly the case that if you register the Kindle to a different account, you can't read books that you put on it for the original account. I hadn't realised that you could read DRM-protected books if it wasn't registered at all. Thanks for the correction (not that it changes the basis of what I was saying, which is that nothing gets removed by deregistering and reregistering ).
That's actually not true, either. Books are registered to devices, not to accounts.

Shari
Old 09-11-2015, 11:33 AM   #20
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
That's actually not true, either. Books are registered to devices, not to accounts.

Shari
But Kindles are registered to accounts, which is precisely what I said, is it not?
Advert
Old 09-11-2015, 11:54 AM   #21
shalym
Wizard

Quote:
But Kindles are registered to accounts, which is precisely what I said, is it not?
Yes, but if I am on my Kindle that is registered to my shalym account and download a DRM'd book, and then de-register the Kindle from that account, and register the Kindle to my shari account, I can still read the book.

So yes...a Kindle device can be registered to a particular account, or no account, but a Kindle book is always registered to only a Kindle device, no matter what account that device is logged into.

Shari
Old 09-11-2015, 12:49 PM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If you keep the WiFi off, when is the best time to turn on the WiFi so the Kindle can post to Goodreads?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 12:58 PM   #23
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Also if you have an extended warranty listed on your manage your devices page that comes back as soon as you reregister your Kindle
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 12:59 PM   #24
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If you keep the WiFi off, when is the best time to turn on the WiFi so the Kindle can post to Goodreads?
Before you try to post.
Old 09-11-2015, 01:40 PM   #25
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Nothing happens to them. You won't be able to read books with DRM while your Kindle is unregistered, but you will as soon as you register it again. Nothing gets deleted.
Quote:
Quote:
Since Kindle DRM is tied to the device ID, you can even read them while unregistered, registered to a different account, whatever.

The only thing you cannot do is download books encrypted for that device, that is what registering does.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote