Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-06-2013, 04:55 PM   #151
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
I don't really know what causes this kind of "I can't/don't want to understand this" apathy regarding technology, even in people who *want* to use the stuff they buy.

The only thing I know is that in my helpdesk time, I've had to resort to the "third button from the left, then the green one on the right"-mantra quite a lot... sometimes even with people who started the call with: "Hello, this is Dr. John Doe, PhD, from London." Normally one would think that people who have the intelligence *and* perseverance to obtain such a title (assuming they're not lying when calling) will be able to figure out how to use a new printer/copier, but not always.
In my day the first question asked was is it still plugged into the wall or is the printer attached by cable to the computer.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 06:03 PM   #152
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
The first computer we had when I was a kid was the Commodore Vic 20 using a cassette recorder for storage (that or it was the TI-99, can't remember for sure which was first)...

I'm with you on this one -- and I shudder at the thought of helping one of my sisters with word processing a paper for nursing school and due to the limited memory of the Vic-20 it being split over 4 or 5 files on the cassette .
Still, I spent a lot of fun hours playing on it!
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2013, 06:03 PM   #153
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
I don't really know what causes this kind of "I can't/don't want to understand this" apathy regarding technology, even in people who *want* to use the stuff they buy.
Because then they'd be a threat to the manager who hired them, because they'd know stuff in more than just the field they were hired for.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 06:10 PM   #154
jswinden
Nameless Being

I went from this first computer with a tape recorder (not shown):

To this about a year later:

Then finally to a Apple II+ with a 9" color TV as the monitor.
Old 09-06-2013, 08:28 PM   #155
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
In my day the first question asked was is it still plugged into the wall or is the printer attached by cable to the computer.

Helen
Was that before or after making sure that the O.F.F./O.N switch was in the ON position?
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2013, 08:45 PM   #156
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersysman View Post
Was that before or after making sure that the O.F.F./O.N switch was in the ON position?
Before
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:27 PM   #157
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Ooh, mine was an Atari 800. I loved that thing. I had a 5 1/4" disk drive, the cassette drive, and a dot matrix printer. That setup cost a fortune. I was sooooooo cool. I remember buying computer magazines at the drug store that had basic programs for simple games printed in them, and laboriously typing in all of the code for hours, then having to debug my typing errors for many more hours.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 04:49 AM   #158
Mivo
Fanatic
Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: In use: Pocketbook InkPad 3, Kobo Glo, iPad Air 2
You guys almost make feel me young. My first computer was a CPC 6128 in the mid 80s, when I was the only teenager in my class who owned a computer! (Sadly, it only impressed the other guys, not the girls!

Then I switched to a row of Atari STs.
Mivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 05:08 AM   #159
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mivo View Post
You guys almost make feel me young. My first computer was a CPC 6128 in the mid 80s, when I was the only teenager in my class who owned a computer! (Sadly, it only impressed the other guys, not the girls!
Yap. Been there.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 05:39 AM   #160
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
You guys almost make feel me young.
ZX81. There ya go.

(We also had a home Pong console...)
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 06:35 AM   #161
Gilmartin
Zealot
Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, PW2
My first was an Oric (sp?). I just had to be different as everyone else I knew had Spectrums
Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 06:39 AM   #162
Mivo
Fanatic
Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: In use: Pocketbook InkPad 3, Kobo Glo, iPad Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
(We also had a home Pong console...)
I also had one of those! It was some clone by a company called Telefunken. But I didn't use it long and got an Atari 2600 console. The CPC came after that.
Mivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 07:11 AM   #163
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
You guys almost make feel me young. My first computer was a CPC 6128 in the mid 80s, when I was the only teenager in my class who owned a computer! (Sadly, it only impressed the other guys, not the girls!.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
Yap. Been there.
Ha, you guys sound like my brother.

I wonder though if we were the only kids whose Mum stayed up half the night while we slept playing on the games console (Q*bert on the Atari)? I think computer/gaming addiction runs in our family.....
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:49 AM   #164
jswinden
Nameless Being

My brother had a Pong console too! Not very fast though was it? You could hit the ball then go run some errands and be back in time to return the ball again! Okay, that was exaggerated just a bit! We played that thing for hours.
Old 09-08-2013, 12:21 AM   #165
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSharks View Post
During those pre-computer days what did people use? Oh yeah, wait for it...filing cabinets with folders to organize them. Straight forward concept. I'd hate to see the tops of the physical desks that these 'everything-on-the-desktop types' use at work.
Most apps where I store much data I don't use folder to organize data. It is too limiting. Tags and Search are much more efficient.

See Gmail and Evernote as two examples.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote