Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 09-19-2015, 12:48 AM   #256
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I do prefer ebooks. I rarely read paper books. However I don't mind that the club allows both formats in nominations because there are many wonderful books still not available as ebooks.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 02:29 AM   #257
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
I'm happy with either ebooks or paper books, especially as more often than not I borrow the chosen book from the library if I can get it, rather than buying an ebook unless it's one I really want.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2015, 03:12 AM   #258
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
I prefer ebooks but I don't mind reading a pbook if it's the only or best version of a selection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
Should we make a list of previous volunteers and see who is left that we can strong arm into doing it?
Just a friendly fyi - there is a list of previous volunteers in the first post. Though I don't endorse strong-arming for the club!
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 03:36 AM   #259
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Last call if anyone would like to take their turn!

If no one volunteers by the 1st then this will become our reset month and will be a retrospective featuring each previous volunteer. The poll will include one nomination from each prior rotating month - the nomination with the highest vote that didn't win (any ties for inclusion broken by the original nominator, or otherwise by first listed). The poll will be posted around the 1st and will run normally.

However, if anyone does offer to have a go with nominations for October that'd be great, and we can wait til some other month for the reset.
Old 09-29-2015, 07:00 AM   #260
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Good to have a backup plan, but I hope we may have a couple more members who might want to have a turn.

Once we have the reset month, I'm assuming we would all start over again. Any thoughts on whether this should follow the same order as before?

Last edited by Bookpossum; 09-29-2015 at 07:03 AM.
Advert
Old 09-29-2015, 01:00 PM   #261
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
Once we have the reset month, I'm assuming we would all start over again. Any thoughts on whether this should follow the same order as before?
Yes, we'll start over after whenever we do have our reset month. When we do, I was thinking to continue as before with asking who'd like to go each month. There's the drawback of me still needing to ask each time, but that way people can continue to go in a month they prefer. What do you think?
Old 09-29-2015, 01:03 PM   #262
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post

If no one volunteers by the 1st then this will become our reset month and will be a retrospective featuring each previous volunteer. The poll will include one nomination from each prior rotating month - the nomination with the highest vote that didn't win (any ties for inclusion broken by the original nominator, or otherwise by first listed). The poll will be posted around the 1st and will run normally.

However, if anyone does offer to have a go with nominations for October that'd be great, and we can wait til some other month for the reset.
Can I suggest that the one from mine not be Barney's Version? I would suggest The Colony of Unrequited Dreams instead.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 01:42 PM   #263
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:

If no one volunteers I'd like the retrospective idea for this month. Then for future volunteer months just let anyone step up even if the person has had a previous chance. Looking back at my month I see there was a four way tie for second. I'd like to pick the one to selected.
Old 09-29-2015, 03:04 PM   #264
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

Quote:
Can I suggest that the one from mine not be Barney's Version? I would suggest The Colony of Unrequited Dreams instead.
Sorry HIMS, but the votes decide which will be included, with nominators only breaking any ties. Each nomination included is the result of a collaborative effort between nominator and voters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
If no one volunteers I'd like the retrospective idea for this month. Then for future volunteer months just let anyone step up even if the person has had a previous chance. Looking back at my month I see there was a four way tie for second. I'd like to pick the one to selected.
Thanks Hamlet. The people with relevant ties (including you! ) were PMed awhile ago. You chose Beauty and Sadness as your tie-breaker; is that still the one you'd like?
Old 09-29-2015, 03:56 PM   #265
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That's too bad. I started and failed to read Barney's Version. I wouldn't vote for it.
Old 09-29-2015, 04:23 PM   #266
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:

Thanks Hamlet. The people with relevant ties (including you! ) were PMed awhile ago. You chose Beauty and Sadness as your tie-breaker; is that still the one you'd like?
I'd forgotten about being asked. Yes, I would stick with that. It's even available as an ebook.

Quote:
That's too bad. I started and failed to read Barney's Version. I wouldn't vote for it.
Well, you could try the film It got pretty good reviews.
Old 09-29-2015, 05:26 PM   #267
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun

Quote:
Yes, we'll start over after whenever we do have our reset month. When we do, I was thinking to continue as before with asking who'd like to go each month. There's the drawback of me still needing to ask each time, but that way people can continue to go in a month they prefer. What do you think?
Probably the way to go, though if we kept the same order it would save you from chasing us up, and people could plan their list well in advance if need be. If the next person was going to be away at the relevant time, he or she could probably agree a swap with another member. What do others think?
Old 10-01-2015, 03:45 AM   #268
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

Alright, with the first of the month upon us, rotating nominations for this cycle are officially closed!

We had a great run this first round with (lucky number) 13 volunteers and over two years in length. When the rotating months first started my hope for success was that we make it to at least one year and 6 volunteers before having to reset so my expectations have been wildly and happily exceeded.

As previously explained, we now go into reset mode and I will have the retrospective poll up soon-ish. After this reset month, we will start afresh with rotating months in December with everyone eligible again.

ETA - The poll is up!

Last edited by sun surfer; 10-01-2015 at 07:44 AM.
Old 10-01-2015, 09:47 AM   #269
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer

I prefer the term baker's dozen.

Mmmm...baking...
Old 11-15-2015, 10:57 AM   #270
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

We have now reset and everyone is eligible again for the rotating months. As part of the reset, I'll post some basic nominating info for convenience each time I ask for a volunteer.

Someone has already messaged me to volunteer this month - bfisher! It's great to start the new cycle off with a new volunteer. bfisher, December is yours! The nominations will be posted at the beginning of the month.

General info-
Spoiler:
The only requirements for the month's selections are that they are literary, that none have been the monthly selection of either book club yet (nominees can be previous nominees though) and that they number at least four. That’s it, pretty simple.

Lists of previous selections - Lit Club / General club

Previous volunteers by month this cycle (currently ineligible)-
-none-

First post

And any questions, just ask.

Last edited by sun surfer; 11-15-2015 at 11:07 AM.