Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-17-2011, 03:46 PM   #1
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Should unfinished posthumous novels be published?

This is the/one of the latest

The Pale King by David Foster Wallace (NYTimes book review):

David Foster Wallace: The Last Audit
By TOM McCARTHY
Published: April 14, 2011

It seems to me there are two ways of understanding the document assembled from a jumble of boxes, disks and printed or handwritten papers that, at the time of David Foster Wallace’s suicide in 2008, ran into the high hundreds of pages — a document that, conscientiously and intelligently whittled down by Wallace’s editor Michael Pietsch to 500-odd pages, is now being published under the title “The Pale King,” and, just as significantly, the subtitle “An Unfinished Novel.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/17/bo...?_r=1&src=recg
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 07:26 PM   #2
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
Well, they've been doing it for years with classical music. Authentic - some of it. Artist's realization - unlikely.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-17-2011, 07:49 PM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I'm not even sure that seemingly finished novels should be published posthumously.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 08:06 PM   #4
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Just another way to make money from a dead author. No...
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 08:30 PM   #5
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Tolkein's unfinished works have been well worth reading. I'd say yes, as long as the story as published has not been hacked beyond recognition, or changed to violate the author's intent in some way.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-17-2011, 08:35 PM   #6
grumpy3b
Banned
grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.

Device: Kindle 2 (x2), Kindle 1, a couple old PDAs
Depends I suppose. If it matters to the estate and the fan base then perhaps. But to line the pockets of the publishers is downright morbid and sort of profiting off the publicity of the death.

I can't remember reading that many posthumously completed and published books that I've read. The only one I recall is relatively recent and was the completion of Heinlein's Variable Star by Spider Robinson. It was, well, not stellar. Yet at the same time it was done with care and love for Heinlein and his wife Virginia. Plus I think it was good for Robinson as he had a huge man-crush on RAH.

But really I see both sides of the coin and as a fan I am leery of reading something that is based on an outline or at least a complete first draft. I just don't want to remember the book as disappointing. I would rather just have them end where the end. Ultimately that is how life works, right? Everything just ends and as they say it ends with a whimper not a bang. Maybe an author's works should do the same. Sure keep the catalog alive but let the last few words just hang in the air incomplete.
grumpy3b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 09:38 PM   #7
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
Just file it in the incomplete due to author's death section of the network and call it a day.

Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 10:02 PM   #8
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
A few quick thoughts....

• It's up to the literary executor to decide.
• The author's wishes have no force, beyond whatever influence those wishes have on the literary executor.
• Some scholars and fans alike are going to want to see the material anyway, no matter how badly or well it's written, or how much input an editor or second author has.
• As with anything in life, caveat emptor. No one's forcing anyone to read posthumous works.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 10:27 PM   #9
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I'm not even sure that seemingly finished novels should be published posthumously.
Good point!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 10:53 PM   #10
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Depends on the state of the books at the time. I mean look at the Millennium Trilogy. Stieg Larsson died before any of them were published, but they were pretty much finished. He left behind 3/4 of a fourth book, which his partner is supposedly in the middle of finish off. If things are mostly done, I see no reason why not.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 11:01 PM   #11
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
As long as they aren't misrepresented as works finished by the author, let the readership decide whether they are worthy as canon or to be considered apocrypha.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 11:08 PM   #12
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
I hate having to agree with Kali Yuga but ... yeah, pretty much.

Publish the book, with a clear description of who did what -- e.g., "from an outline by Joe Schmoe." If people want to read it, they will; if not, it will languish unread, like millions of other books. Nobody's forcing anybody to read it.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 02:12 AM   #13
malliemcg
malliemcg began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone, Kindle3-WiFi
I enjoyed the final of Gemmell's work (Troy:Fall of Kings) which was finished by his wife. Although it appears that he had enabled this to be done more easily (and implicit permission) by preparing chapter plans when his heart surgery was looming - as per http://entertainment.timesonline.co....cle2320620.ece (if it is to be believed).

I also must admit I did not object to the final two books based off the plans to "Dune 7"

I suppose I liked the idea of having an authors "intent" finished, it's about the content the characters and the story evolving, I suppose in both of the above cases I wanted to know what happened next so was glad they were released. In both cases the author had died with plans to continue their works, and in the case with Gemmell, in such a way that I think leaves no interpretation that his intention was for somoene to finish the work.

(I am sure that you will find people who are just against such things as I am for them, but each can vote with their money dollars!)
malliemcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 02:34 AM   #14
Valkrider
Addict
Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, iPadAir2, PRS600, iPhone 6, iPod, Palm TX
Don't forget that without posthumous publishing we would never have got to read Stieg Larrson's trilogy. All three were published after his death. I would certainly have missed reading three great books if they had not been published.

As to unfinished works, I think it depends on how unfinished. Don't forget editors have a lot to do with what we finally read and as a result a partially completed work may or may not be what the author intended but it will certainly be what the editor intended.
Valkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 03:02 AM   #15
Andanzas
Out of print
Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (recycled), Pocketbook Inkpad X Pro
Quote:
"Dearest Max, my last request: Everything I leave behind me ... in the way of diaries, manuscripts, letters (my own and others), sketches, and so on, is to be burned unread."
Fortunately, Max Brod didn't respect this last wish, and now we can read Kafka's works.
Andanzas is offline   Reply With Quote