Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 12-02-2011, 03:39 AM   #181
M T McGuire
Addict
M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I didn't bother to sign up, just kept tally at home... needless to say, for the first time ever, I achieved my goal. Typicl eh? Book 2 of the trilogy is now in the bag!

Cheers

MTM
M T McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 06:30 AM   #182
jedipencil
Enthusiast
jedipencil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jedipencil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jedipencil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jedipencil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jedipencil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jedipencil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jedipencil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jedipencil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jedipencil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jedipencil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jedipencil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony
I did it... Got it done on the 27th, validated and everything. If I was going to try I had to remember to complete it a bit early, as my daughter's birthday is around the corner. (and teenagers, it seems, are rather a high-maintenance bunch!)

What an experience NaNo is... may I offer a gentle back-slap to everyone who participated? It really is a challenge.
jedipencil is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2011, 07:15 AM   #183
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Those of you that "won" do you plan to go back now , edit , and release?
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 06:06 PM   #184
Lazybones
Groupie
Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
Absolutely. It will be interesting to see how rough my novel is when I go back and reread it, usually I try to do a little more editing and revising as I write, but this time I just focused on getting the words onto the page. Since my novel turned out being rather shorter than my usual work, I'll probably offer it for a buck on Smashwords and the Kindle store. Should take a couple of months for revisions, editing, and general formatting and cleanup.
Lazybones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 08:14 AM   #185
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Quote:
Edited, submitted for copyright, and now I'm working on the cover with the artist.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-05-2011, 12:07 AM   #186
LynnaMerrill
SF/F writer, programmer
LynnaMerrill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LynnaMerrill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LynnaMerrill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LynnaMerrill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LynnaMerrill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LynnaMerrill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LynnaMerrill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LynnaMerrill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LynnaMerrill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LynnaMerrill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LynnaMerrill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4
Quote:
Not yet. I need to write at least 50k more -- but after that, certainly. I am hoping that I can keep the NaNo speed and finish this book much faster than I finished my previous, non-NaNo, books.

What is everyone's NaNo book about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrscoach View Post
As for my husband, he tore his plantar fascia in his foot. That's good news because it will cure the plantar fasciitis (spelling?) he has had bothering him. He just has to get past initial pain.
Maybe next year.
mrscoach, I am glad that after this trouble your husband will be better than before.

mrscoach, Birds: I've mentioned you and this thread in the NaNoWriMo blog post that I just posted. The blog is on my website, and the website link is in my signature, if you want to take a look.
LynnaMerrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 09:13 AM   #187
dadioflex
Dyslexic Count
dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, Advent Vega, iPad, iPod Touch, Kindle
Quote:
Naw. It was 50k words of drivel and padding. Frankly, the padding upped the quality.

@teh603 - you're handing over the thirty bucks or so to copyright it officially, right? I'm somewhat surprised anyone could have gone from a NaNoWriMo novel to a finished product worth protecting in such a short space of time. Or was that a joke? I can find humans difficult to read at times.

Last edited by dadioflex; 12-05-2011 at 09:18 AM.
dadioflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 06:21 PM   #188
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadioflex View Post
@teh603 - you're handing over the thirty bucks or so to copyright it officially, right? I'm somewhat surprised anyone could have gone from a NaNoWriMo novel to a finished product worth protecting in such a short space of time. Or was that a joke? I can find humans difficult to read at times.
Well, I did finish over week ahead of time and then spent most of the rest of the month sitting down with a red pen and a printed copy doing my editing.

Then again, I was also editing as I wrote. Technically a violation of the unwritten NaNo rules, but I also had a serious enough lead that it didn't cause too many problems. Most of the stuff that didn't work got chopped out pretty early on.

Having very little work at my day job also helped; when there's no assignments to go in and do, you might as well sit at home and edit.

Last edited by teh603; 12-05-2011 at 06:24 PM.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 07:34 PM   #189
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Just crossed the 100k word mark in my latest novel... according to MS Word it only took me 4.5 days to do. So blew all you nanowritters out of the water.

(joking....)
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 10:48 PM   #190
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
So yea. I failed. Bad.
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 11:00 PM   #191
Harper Kingsley
Clone Trooper
Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No worries. It's all in good fun and you can try again next year

I won, but I need about 50k more to have it finished. Then I've gotta edit, come up with a cover, etc., etc., etc... Does anyone want to do all that for me? I can't pay you any money, but I make some pretty mean bulgogi and kimchi (My bulgogi's so good it won me my very first marriage proposal. I turned him down, but still.) ^_^
Harper Kingsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 05:59 PM   #192
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
There are some people who publish their works the day after NaNoWriMo ends. That seems like a mistake to me. I have a second draft of my book, and I'll have a third draft after I get some feedback from beta readers. I have friends who say they will read it, whether they will actually read or not is an open question. I'm taking my time with it. It's not bad, but I want it to be as good as I can make it.

It was really good for me, I had never written more than 10,000 words before. I get the NaNoWriMo isn't for everyone, but the people who insist that NaNoWriMo isn't for anyone are being irrational. Just look at how many art supply stores there are, catering to amateur painters. Do people shake their fist at them? No, people are encouraged to paint, but for some reason, there are those who insist that only certain people selected by some cabal should be able to write. Many people need some sort of encouragement to keep them motivated, and if NaNoWriMo provides that motivation, good. Your NaNoWriMo book might not be good, but you can't produce a good book if you don't write one. We've all met people who keep talking about the story that they want to write, but they never write it. For them, NaNoWriMo might be a good thing.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 11:10 PM   #193
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxx6166 View Post
So yea. I failed. Bad.
I failed too. Failed even to start this year.

My 2009 "novel" got bogged down in the editing phase, but I will never regret making the effort! I truly admire anyone who can put together anything resembling a finished book, however they got there.

Well done to everyone who took part in NaNoWriMo this past year, whether you won or not. I think you can't help but learn from the experience!

2012. It's a good, even number -- and I have 10 more months to find a plotline.

Last edited by Filark; 01-14-2012 at 11:14 PM.
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 05:15 AM   #194
M T McGuire
Addict
M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Filark, you'll get there, just keep trying...
QuantumIguana, you're spot on with all your comments there. I can't see any point in writing a book that isn't the best I can do at the time.

All power to you for holding back as well, that's one of the hardest bits and so many people don't. It's very difficult not to put something out there if it's almost ready... It took me about 8 years to learn how to write a novel and another 5 or 6 years to write one which I didn't wish someone else had written. But if I'd been able to publish my first as an e-book I suspect I might have gone ahead and done it anyway. And my reputation (not to mention my pride) would be in tatters! As it is, my novel isn't going to set the world on fire but I know it's of a publishable standard and I know it's the best I can produce right now...

The great thing about this writing business, of course, is that the more you do, the more you learn and the better the results get. It's hard, like pulling teeth sometimes, I find but the rewards are great.

You're right about resting it, too. The biggest test for me is if to leave it a month or two. If, when I read it after that time, I like it, to the point where I can't quite believe it's my work, I know it's OK.

Cheers

MTM
M T McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote