Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 03-28-2011, 09:39 AM   #1
Serena
Zealot
Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Question Replacement for 360?

Anyone know the status of the new model to replace the 360? Last I heard, it was scheduled to come out first quarter of this year...

And are the rumors that is will be touchscreen, and pearl screen true?

I've got my eye on the Sony PRS-350, but I really like the PocketBook firmware better. I would just like to know how much longer I will have to wait!
Serena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 10:23 AM   #2
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serena View Post
Anyone know the status of the new model to replace the 360? Last I heard, it was scheduled to come out first quarter of this year...

And are the rumors that is will be touchscreen, and pearl screen true?

I've got my eye on the Sony PRS-350, but I really like the PocketBook firmware better. I would just like to know how much longer I will have to wait!
Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:16 pm on Russian-speaking forum www.the-ebook.org official PocketBook representative Ключник [Kljucsnik - in English Housekeeper, or "the one that holds the keys"] said:
По секрету
Скоро будет информация о новом 360м)
Translated:
In Secret:
Soon there will be information about new 360m

http://www.the-ebook.org/forum/viewt...=629045#629045

The-Ebook.org is the site where PocketBook 360 was designed in close cooperation with users.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2011, 10:24 AM   #3
Chikwako
Reader EZ
Chikwako has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chikwako has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chikwako has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: √NC, √NST, Sero Pro
Don't raise your hopes too high, cause when my PB 360 crapped out on me last month, I asked the support person I talked to about its replacement, and he said that although there are different models planned to come out this year, neither is a specific replacement for the 360.
Chikwako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 12:14 AM   #4
Yar-PocketBooker
Fanatic
Yar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: PocketBooks and Onyxes and anything E-Ink...
The new PB360 will be a little bit modified in terms of adding new communication features, but I haven't heard about the touchscreen...
AFAIK, the price will stay the same.
Yar-PocketBooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 04:41 AM   #5
rogue_librarian
Guru
rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Basic 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serena View Post
And are the rumors that is will be touchscreen ...
I certainly hope not. Pearl would be fine, but I for one do not want touchscreen on my reader, thanks. Personally I am looking forward to the "unbreakable" 900 series models (using a "plastic" screen, if they ever materialize) and hope that trickles down to the smaller models. Certainly another year (or three), though.
rogue_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-29-2011, 07:19 AM   #6
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yar-PocketBooker View Post
The new PB360 will be a little bit modified in terms of adding new communication features, but I haven't heard about the touchscreen...
AFAIK, the price will stay the same.
I just hope they don't mess with success and keep the form factor and snap-on cover.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 08:24 AM   #7
Mickey330
Addict
Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis & the Kindle app on iDevices
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
I just hope they don't mess with success and keep the form factor and snap-on cover.
Just quoting to say "What he said...!"

Please, please, please, Pocketbook. Don't muck up the PB360!

Marilyn
Mickey330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 08:33 AM   #8
Farhad
Zealot
Farhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheese

Device: N800/Nokia 5230/PB IQ701/PB 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey330 View Post
Please, please, please, Pocketbook. Don't muck up the PB360!
+1

The PB360 is just about perfect. Add Pearl if you want, but NO TOUCHSCREEN!!!!!
Farhad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 12:16 PM   #9
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:12 pm on Russian-speaking forum www.the-ebook.org official PocketBook representative Ключник [Kljucsnik - in English Housekeeper, or "the one that holds the keys"] said:
В новом 360 планируется реализовать Wi-Fi/
Остальные характеристики модели будут известны в официальном релизе.
Да Кнопки должны быть помягче но пока готовый корпус не видел так что стопроцентно сказать не могу.
Translated:
The new 360 is planned to implement Wi-Fi /
The remaining features of the model will be known in an official release.
Yes, the buttons should be softer but I can not say, while I haven't seen corpus (body of the device)

http://www.the-ebook.org/forum/viewt...=632924#632924

This means in plain English:
Even the official representative and employee of the company hasn't seen finished case, so let us not hold our collective breath for release in following weeks.
Old 03-30-2011, 04:32 PM   #10
Farhad
Zealot
Farhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheese

I am not even sure that wifi for the PB360 is a good idea. All it will do is add complexity and costs to the device. And then, does that mean a also adding browser? In black and white? *Ugly*.

The PB360 is an ideal book reader, and IMHO a book reader should focus on book reading, not wifi. Even the added games and applications are garbage.

What I would like to see a superior screen, for sure, and I would love to get some way to light it in the dark.

Oh, and the PB360 sometimes freezes or reboots. PB might want to fix that.

My 2cts.

Last edited by Farhad; 03-30-2011 at 04:34 PM.
Old 03-30-2011, 05:18 PM   #11
kacir
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farhad View Post
Even the added games and applications are garbage.
Not that I play games on my PB, or program for fun on it using the Linux Terminal application, but, many interesting translations, tweaks, hacks, nifty tricks and third-party applications are direct result of our ability to use poterm application. I have used poterm - the Linux Terminal Emulator to pull interesting config and translation files of the device so we would have base for "hacking".

EDIT:
Wifi can be used for other things than just browsing the net. Have you tried the Calibre as a server for your collection?
You can try it from your PC. Very impressive.
Imagine you could browse through your complete collection that is stored in Calibre database on your PC, without having to put down the reader, going to the next room, connecting the reader to PC by cable ...

Last edited by kacir; 03-30-2011 at 05:22 PM.
Old 03-30-2011, 05:43 PM   #12
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chikwako View Post
Don't raise your hopes too high, cause when my PB 360 crapped out on me last month, I asked the support person I talked to about its replacement, and he said that although there are different models planned to come out this year, neither is a specific replacement for the 360.
How long till it crapped out? Mine lasted a WHOLE 7 weeks!!!... The on/off button broke. Then, I sent the PB360 to get repaired.... PB service conveniently, told me that the warranty did not cover the on/off switch, but that they would try to fix it for free. They couldn't. End of story.. So I helped pay for PB's bills a little and lost 180 dollars.

Hopefully they plan to have an improved machine when it comes. Out. I actually liked the 360 for the 7 weeks it worked.
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 08:29 PM   #13
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
Wifi can be used for other things than just browsing the net. Have you tried the Calibre as a server for your collection?
Imagine you could browse through your complete collection that is stored in Calibre database on your PC, without having to put down the reader, going to the next room, connecting the reader to PC by cable ...
+1

Also, WiFi can be used for OPDS access to online catalogs of ebooks.
I've been using it to access my BAEN Webscription purchases on the IQ.
Very useful.
Also, WiFi chips are dirt-cheap these days so adding WiFi to a 360-replacement would offer real value at minimal added cost. That is a compelling business case.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 10:33 PM   #14
Farhad
Zealot

Quote:
oh yes, I could not live without this fantastic application

Quote:
yes, I guess you are right here. though I happily do that with my USB cable. but yes, good point.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:37 PM   #15
Farhad
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by hidari View Post
PB service conveniently, told me that the warranty did not cover the on/off switch, but that they would try to fix it for free. They couldn't. End of story.. So I helped pay for PB's bills a little and lost 180 dollars.
Are you saying that PB simply dumped you with your broken PB360 and said "no our problem"?! I thought that they offered a 2 year guarantee?! They neither repaired nor replaced your PB360?!

What else does their "warranty not cover"? Parts and labor?!