Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-24-2011, 09:08 PM   #1
t3l01v
Enthusiast
t3l01v began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Trouble getting ADB to work

Hi again! I'm sure people are getting sick of me, but trust me! Once I get this all sorted out, I'll be more than happy to help others.

So this is where I'm at:

http://nookdevs.com/NookColor_USB_AD...2C_Vista_and_7

I'm getting stuck at Part III. The attached image shows the categories where I see my NookColor show up. When I try to update the drivers for this device though, the inf that I unzipped per the instructions in part 2 isn't a valid driver.

The guide says that my Nook should be under "Other Hardware," but it's not. See the image below.

Thanks for any help.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DeviceMGR.png
Views:	278
Size:	114.8 KB
ID:	65479
t3l01v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 09:10 PM   #2
t3l01v
Enthusiast

Oh, I should include what I'm trying to accomplish. As I understand it, completing this process will allow me to sideload .apk apps to my rooted NC.
Advert
Old 01-24-2011, 09:15 PM   #3
t3l01v
Enthusiast

WOOHOO!

I figured it out!!!

Because I'm brilliant, I went into DEVICES AND PRINTERS, hit properties on my NC, and then in the hardware list, I picked the USB hardware entry because it just seemed to make sense.

However, that hadn't occurred to me until I made this post, so I'm glad I've got this forum, even if it's just to bounce ideas off of.

Name:	AH-HA.PNG
Views:	279
Size:	244.1 KB
ID:	65485
Old 01-24-2011, 09:21 PM   #4
t3l01v
Enthusiast

Ok, once this was done I had to go back into that screen and uninstall the USB driver, unplugged, plugged back in, and it installed properly. Tested successfully.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:33 PM   #5
t3l01v
Enthusiast

Making Progress, but...

So I tried to install Flash Player and got the same error discussed here:
http://groups.google.com/group/andro...02b1ce68?pli=1

That said, how do I figure out which version of Android I'm running, and how do I find APKs for that version?

Sorry all, new to the Android community with my NC. My brother swears by Android OS, but I've been a hardcore iUser (iPhone, iPad, etc.)

Name:	Error.png
Views:	271
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	65487
Advert
Old 01-24-2011, 09:37 PM   #6
zartemis
Addict
zartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it is

Device: Kindle3, Kindle2, Nook, NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by t3l01v View Post
Oh, I should include what I'm trying to accomplish. As I understand it, completing this process will allow me to sideload .apk apps to my rooted NC.
Well, you can do that without ADB usb access, but what adb access will allow you to do is to issue adb commands from your PC to your Nook without having to use another helper app (e.g. Root Explorer (a pay app that can allow you to manipulate files on internal memory and remount the internal memory read-write) or Astro (free -- use to install apps that you moved to the SD card), Terminal Emulator (free -- use to issue command line actions), Wireless ADB (for those that can't get the drivers to install correctly on their PC), Email Installer (mail your apk to yourself as an attachment and install from email -- I love this one, myself.

Congrats. Getting ADB drivers to work isn't always straightforward. You don't have to have it working to get full use out of your rooted NookColor, but's it's nice to have as an option.
zartemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 09:51 PM   #7
zartemis
Addict
zartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it is

Device: Kindle3, Kindle2, Nook, NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by t3l01v View Post
So I tried to install Flash Player

That said, how do I figure out which version of Android I'm running
The NookColor currently runs Android 2.1. Some hackers have a partially working 2.2 android Rom, Nookie Froyo, available for use on the Nook.

I don't believe there is a fully working flash player for 2.1 (there may be limited, partially working ones). You could try Nookie Froyo.
zartemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 09:59 PM   #8
t3l01v
Enthusiast

Oh wow, that's interesting. Is there a browser or anything that I can use to view FLVs in the mean time?

I'm going to look into Nookie Froyo.

Also, what about playing AVIs and MP4s? I'm seeing the same problems I was hoping to rectify by rooting, but then again, maybe I need to find the apps to actually run these kinds of movies.
Old 01-24-2011, 10:43 PM   #9
KryptoNyte
Shepherd
KryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook Color, LG Optimus V
Regarding video, it's likely that the videos you already have aren't going to play as they are. I believe mp4 (h.264) is the preferred format - I don't believe AVI is supported.

You can start reading here regarding encoding of your videos:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=107571&page=7
KryptoNyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 05:32 AM   #10
spm
Enthusiast
spm began at the beginning.

Device: KT4
well, I'm going to use this thread to ask my question because I think it has relationship.

I rooted my NC but I don't complete the ADB access.
I installed FTP server in the NC and using a FTP client in my laptop (Filezilla) or MacBook (CyberDuck) I can send files (pdf, epub ...) from PC/MBP to my NC.
Yesterday I sent a .apk to sdcard/tmp (my default directory) and I couldn't install the app.
I tried to copy the .apk to system/app and neither ES Explorer or Astro allowed the operation.
Need I do something to allow install .apk apps?
(I've read that I can mail me the .apk and install from there ... I have to try this)

thanks
spm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 09:47 AM   #11
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by spm View Post
well, I'm going to use this thread to ask my question because I think it has relationship.

I rooted my NC but I don't complete the ADB access.
I installed FTP server in the NC and using a FTP client in my laptop (Filezilla) or MacBook (CyberDuck) I can send files (pdf, epub ...) from PC/MBP to my NC.
Yesterday I sent a .apk to sdcard/tmp (my default directory) and I couldn't install the app.
I tried to copy the .apk to system/app and neither ES Explorer or Astro allowed the operation.
Need I do something to allow install .apk apps?
(I've read that I can mail me the .apk and install from there ... I have to try this)

thanks
If you want to move something to system/app you need to use ADB or purchase the Root Explorer app.

To install a non-market app go into the NOOKcolor Tools app and make sure the box next to "Allow Non-Market Apps" is checked. If it is, uncheck and re-check.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 10:59 AM   #12
spm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Well, you can do that without ADB usb access, but what adb access will allow you to do is to issue adb commands from your PC to your Nook without having to use another helper app (e.g. Root Explorer (a pay app that can allow you to manipulate files on internal memory and remount the internal memory read-write) or Astro (free -- use to install apps that you moved to the SD card), Terminal Emulator (free -- use to issue command line actions), Wireless ADB (for those that can't get the drivers to install correctly on their PC), Email Installer (mail your apk to yourself as an attachment and install from email -- I love this one, myself.
I've tried to install using Email Installer and NC says
Install blocked
Installation of download apks is not supported

I think I'll have to do the ADB access for NC allowed me intall apks ...
Old 01-25-2011, 11:13 AM   #13
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by spm View Post
I've tried to install using Email Installer and NC says
Install blocked
Installation of download apks is not supported

I think I'll have to do the ADB access for NC allowed me intall apks ...
Go into NOOKcolor Tools app. Make sure "Allow Non-Market Apps" is checked. If it is, uncheck, and re-check.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 08:57 PM   #14
t3l01v
Enthusiast

Yea, I had that same issue too until I unchecked/ rechecked.
Old 01-26-2011, 04:03 AM   #15
spm
Enthusiast

Finally I could install the .apk via Email Installer.
I unchecked/recheked some times ... but it didn't work because I exit from NOOKcolor Tools app using the arrow ... When I started again the app, it was checked.
I had to use the "n" boton ... and worked ...
Now I'm going to try to install copying to system/app ...

Thanks