Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-15-2010, 09:27 AM   #31
Pangolin
Pangolin
Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 2
Ha omk3 - sure am ; )))
Thanks very much for having put all the info in the same place, very useful
Any Mac info greatly received.
Pangolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 10:52 AM   #32
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by spideog View Post
I've just taken the topics from grooks OP so far and made a basic template page to start from in the wiki.

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Sony...shooting_Guide

[moderator note - the information can be found in the MobileRead wiki here also in a sticky in the Sony forum here. The new wiki page name is "Sony Reader Start-Up and Reset Guide"]

Next step, fill in the blanks and add more questions and answers. Worry about the layout of it later once there is more information accumulated...
spideog, the initial setup looks great. Pretty much what I had in mind. I haven't had any time the last few days to start combing the forums looking for the fixes but will do so this weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lester View Post
Let me know if you want me to proof the guide before you put it up.
Jim, I will definitely contact you to proof the information relating to ADE and authorizations. I will be developing a list of others I want to proof either all or parts of the guide. Trying to get as many people as possible to contribute to this project.

Last edited by dreams; 12-27-2010 at 02:42 AM. Reason: add mod note to quote
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 03:21 PM   #33
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
To the question: Where are my ebook files located?

Windows:
- If you downloaded them using ADE, the folder is <your username>/documents/My Digital Editions
-If you downloaded them using the sony software, the folder is <your username>/documents/My Books/Reader Library (thanks happy_terd!)

I'm using this thread as a notepad
Any information you believe to be incorrect or inaccurate, please say so!
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 09:19 AM   #34
Djinn Hache
Fourth Rider
Djinn Hache began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Hello. It's my first message at this forum and my language is not english so, forgive my bad use of language.

It happened to me and I was so worried. I think it should post here to help anyone who had this problem on the future.

I'll paste the link because the solution was posted by another user. Credits to him.

http://wannemacher.us/?p=238&cpage=1

See you.

Djinn Hache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 10:37 AM   #35
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
It's looking good.

Here are some more questions I'm getting on my Sony Reader Forum:

Question: I have some pdf books which I tried to import using Reader Library. The status shows that the Add files was completed but I can't find them in the books section. Where did they go?

Credit to Bremen Cole for the answer below:
Try copy/paste or drag/drop instead. Plug your reader into the computer. Open Windows Explorer and note that the reader shows up as any other usb drive. The books are in the database/media/books folder. Open another Windows explorer and navagate to wherever your PDF's are. Now simply copy/paste or drag/drop your PDF's into the database/media/books folder on your reader. They will now be on your reader, without a doubt. Then close all windows, eject the reader (lower left in your taskbar the "safely remover hardware icon") and when the reader settles down you will see your files.......

Question: I have a wall mount that I plug the USB unto(I use it for my iPod and phone) I eventually got off that screen, but it didn't charge at all last night)

Answer:
You are using a wrong plug to charge it. Just because it fit does not mean it works. The only other wall plug that works so far on any Sony Reader is a PSP wall plug. You need to go buy a generic one and use that instead.
You are actually discharged it! Ether buy a real wall plug that plugs into the round hole, or use the USB cable that came with it. The USB cable MUST be plugged into a computer that is on and not in hibernation or sleep mode.....
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 11:46 AM   #36
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Sony Reader Troubleshooting Guide

[moderator note - the information can be found in the MobileRead wiki here also in a sticky in the Sony forum here. The new wiki page name is "Sony Reader Start-Up and Reset Guide"]

The Guide is being updated for anyone that wants to check it out or wants to make any corrections. Thanks to the people who are updating and helping with this project.

Last edited by dreams; 12-27-2010 at 02:43 AM. Reason: add mod note for new page name and links
Old 01-16-2010, 12:09 PM   #37
spideog
Connoisseur
spideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-300
I've just added in omk3's write up on the library book borrowing.

Not having had reason to do a hard reset on my 300 yet I've not even looked up how you might do it, I did just spot this page on the wiki though with details on resetting the 500. Does what it says here apply to any/ all/ non of the current crop of Sony Readers?

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Sony...t_Instructions
spideog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 02:26 PM   #38
JoeH
JoeH began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Portable Reader PRS-500 and PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by grooks View Post
Sony Reader Troubleshooting Guide

The Guide is being updated for anyone that wants to check it out or wants to make any corrections. Thanks to the people who are updating and helping with this project.
I want to express my thanks as well. I've already bookmarked it. As excellent and responsive as the Mobileread forum is, I've not yet figured out how to ensure for certain that my question (or comment) wasn't already addressed months ago...

You guys (and this forum) are great!!

Last edited by dreams; 12-27-2010 at 02:44 AM. Reason: add mod note to quote
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 07:31 PM   #39
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Thanks to everyone for their work and specifically to spideog for adding my posts to the wiki.

I just realized that many of the issues with the readers are actually addressed in the sony site, but they are a bit hidden.

Here is the link for the prs-600 (sony uk, but the issues should be the same for everyone)
http://support.sony-europe.com/compu...S-600&f=PA_PRS

for prs-300
http://support.sony-europe.com/compu...S-300&f=PA_PRS

and for prs-505
http://support.sony-europe.com/compu...S-505&f=PA_PRS

Check under "troubleshooting", there's a lot there.

Not sure if the three above links are actually any different, I mean if there is any model-specific information, but I post them all just in case.

-----
Some more random stuff:

For anyone looking for the manual of the device (prs-600, I don't know about others)
it can be found zipped in READER/Documents/PRS600_UG.zip
Inside the zip is the user guide in german, dutch, french and english in pdf.
You can also find it on the sony site of course.

How to load your books onto your reader using explorer.
Drag and drop them (or copy them) in the folder READER/database/media/books. You can have them organized in folders if you want, the reader will see the books inside the folders, but of course your folder structure will not affect how the books appear on the reader. To keep your ebooks organized on your reader you have to use collections.*

*we also have to explain about collections, don't we?

The above was actually covered by Bremen Cole in Lilly's post (#35), but it was as an answer to a troubleshooting question, and I added the (useless actually ) info about the folders.

Last edited by omk3; 01-16-2010 at 07:55 PM.
Old 01-16-2010, 10:09 PM   #40
grooks
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideog View Post
Not having had reason to do a hard reset on my 300 yet I've not even looked up how you might do it, I did just spot this page on the wiki though with details on resetting the 500. Does what it says here apply to any/ all/ non of the current crop of Sony Readers?

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Sony...t_Instructions
I was the one updating the Hard Reset instructions earlier. I just finished for all devices (300, 500, 505, 600 and 700) except the 900. There seemed to be small differences between devices so I have a separate step-by-step for each Reader.
Old 01-16-2010, 11:12 PM   #41
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Wiki
#10 Stop Sony Reader Library from opening on connecting to the PC

* Windows Vista OS (Win 7 also?)

Already in Wiki

* Windows XP OS

Click the start button then click run. Type "msconfig", (no quotes), in the box.

*Mac OS
Need to add
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 02:27 AM   #42
Jim Lester
Evangelist
Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.

Device: Nook HD, Nook for Windows 8
A comment on the library section
Quote:
You can load the books on your reader your usual preferred way.
This isn't quite true. For library books you can only transfer to your Sony Reader using EBL or ADE (Windows only). Specifically, using Calibre or doing a simple File transfer will not work, as this will not transfer the extra pieces of information that are needed to make Library content readable.
Jim Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 09:07 AM   #43
omk3
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lester View Post
A comment on the library section

This isn't quite true. For library books you can only transfer to your Sony Reader using EBL or ADE (Windows only). Specifically, using Calibre or doing a simple File transfer will not work, as this will not transfer the extra pieces of information that are needed to make Library content readable.
Really? Thanks for the correction! Strange because I always transfer with either explorer or calibre, and my library book worked fine... Maybe I used ADE just this once, I honestly can't remember... I'll check again and if I find anything different I'll let you know.

[EDIT] Okay, borrowed another book and of course you were right! When I copied using explorer I got the "page protected" error. When I used ADE to copy, it worked fine. It seems I had used ADE instinctively the first time, and hadn't even noticed!

Last edited by omk3; 01-17-2010 at 10:20 AM.
Old 01-18-2010, 01:29 PM   #44
Jim Lester
Evangelist
Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.

Device: Nook HD, Nook for Windows 8
I was reading this thread:
Sony eBook Library software: should I install? and another thought occurred to me that should probably also go into the Guide:
For ADE to connect with the Sony Reader (any of them) you must have installed the Sony EBL software, even if you don't use it. The reason is that ADE uses a Sony driver that is installed during the EBL installation. If the driver is not present, ADE will not see any Sony Readers.
Jim Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 01:43 PM   #45
omk3
Wizard

Interesting and important piece of information, Jim, thank you!
I was not aware of this!