Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 08-07-2012, 08:16 PM   #16
Oldpilot
Groupie
Oldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with others

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The reason there's the limit is that ePub supports CSS, and hence has to maintain state information for every part of the text.
So does Kindle (both the older versions and the Fire and other KF8 devices and apps) support CSS. I handle all my styles with an internal stylesheet,

I still don't understand the difference between a 137KB epub and a 400+KB html file. Which is the actual size of the book with respect to, for example, the 300KB limit mentioned by B&N?

(The epub in question had no problem being accepted by PubIt.)

Thanks!
Oldpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:19 PM   #17
Oldpilot
Groupie
Oldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with others

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmat1 View Post
Concerning the downsides of large files mentioned by others, I would suggest to make a file-break at last every 1 Meg.
Bingo! Thank you; that's easily done. Even 500KB (in the html file) handles any of my novels.
Advert
Old 08-08-2012, 12:49 AM   #18
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldpilot View Post
I still don't understand the difference between a 137KB epub and a 400+KB html file. Which is the actual size of the book with respect to, for example, the 300KB limit mentioned by B&N?

Thanks!
epub is zipped - compressed - thus is smaller than uncompressed html
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 12:58 AM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
So does Kindle (both the older versions and the Fire and other KF8 devices and apps) support CSS. I handle all my styles with an internal stylesheet,
No. The older Kindle Mobipocket format does NOT support CSS in any form whatsoever. The Mobi generation tools support CSS to a limited extent, but they convert that CSS into tag attributes in the generated Mobi file. There is no CSS in a Mobi file.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 02:04 AM   #20
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
The filesize limit is for a single uncompressed (x)html, not any other file.

Benefits are already mentioned. Performance while reading, start on new page and easier maintenance.
I usually have one xhtml file for the cover, one for the titlepage and then for each chapter. When applicable also for dedication pages and so on. If your filenames are logical, maintenance is easy.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2012, 07:43 PM   #21
Oldpilot
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
No. The older Kindle Mobipocket format does NOT support CSS in any form whatsoever. The Mobi generation tools support CSS to a limited extent, but they convert that CSS into tag attributes in the generated Mobi file. There is no CSS in a Mobi file.
All my styles are obediently followed in my K3, apps, and Kindle Previewer emulations with the sole exception of drop-caps, which become up-caps and still look good. Indents, margin-top, centering, size of headings, font size, page breaks -- all that good stuff renders perfectly in the KF7 devices and apps. It hardly matters to me whether the final KF7 file actually has a style sheet or not, since it follows the CSS that I provided.

With respect to the size of an epub, I understand that it is a zip file. What I don't understand is whether the theoretical 300KB limit refers to the epub (say 150KB) or the underlying html (say 400KB). In the first case it passes, in the second case not. Which is it?
Old 08-14-2012, 09:08 PM   #22
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
All my styles are obediently followed in my K3, apps, and Kindle Previewer emulations with the sole exception of drop-caps, which become up-caps and still look good. Indents, margin-top, centering, size of headings, font size, page breaks -- all that good stuff renders perfectly in the KF7 devices and apps. It hardly matters to me whether the final KF7 file actually has a style sheet or not, since it follows the CSS that I provided.

With respect to the size of an epub, I understand that it is a zip file. What I don't understand is whether the theoretical 300KB limit refers to the epub (say 150KB) or the underlying html (say 400KB). In the first case it passes, in the second case not. Which is it?
Under laying (x)HTML. I have 50M EPUBS (with lots of segments) that work fine (just slow)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:24 PM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Bingo! Thank you; that's easily done. Even 500KB (in the html file) handles any of my novels.
It won't work on all readers. So if you do this, it will not work on some readers. Stick with the You need to use smaller files in order to get it to work. You've already been told the limit is 300k. My suggestion is to get a Sony Reader to test things or to send your book to someone who has one to test it.

I will volunteer to test it to see if it loads properly on a Sony. But as has been said before (in this thread), if you don't use separate XML for each chapter, then you lose control of the spacing for the chapter titles.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 04:31 AM   #24
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But as has been said before (in this thread), if you don't use separate XML for each chapter, then you lose control of the spacing for the chapter titles.
Not exactly lose control, just the top margin of the first element after the (forced) pagebreak is ignored. You can still get the desired spacing by using padding instead of margin, or by having a dummy element between the pagebreak and the title.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 09:58 AM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Not exactly lose control, just the top margin of the first element after the (forced) pagebreak is ignored. You can still get the desired spacing by using padding instead of margin, or by having a dummy element between the pagebreak and the title.
For ease of coding and neater code, I prefer the one XML per chapter method.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote