Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-10-2010, 01:15 PM   #1
kkinser
Newbie with a Bullet
kkinser began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3
sharing notes and highlights on personal documents

Hi, I'm new to the forum and new to Kindle, but already found much of use here -- so thanks. I haven't been able to find anything on this issue, though.

I read and review a lot of personal documents, and I haven't found a good way to share my notes and highlights with others who do not have a Kindle. Right now I highlight text, and then put a note right after it. Then I can export the clippings.txt file, run a quick macro on it to convert it to spreadsheet columns and send it out with a copy of the original document. The other person has to do their own search for the highlighted parts because loc. means nothing without the Kindle. Cumbersome, but it works.

If the person has a Kindle, it's not a problem, 'cause I could just send the two files together (.mbp & .azw) and the notes remain.

So I looked at Kindle for PC, IPhone, etc., thinking anyone could get that to read Kindle files. But the application doesn't seem to like personal documents. Maybe I gave up too quickly.

If anyone has had success with other methods, I'd appreciate some advice.
kkinser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 01:38 PM   #2
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
Hi Kkinser and welcome to mobileread

Just thinking that if you want to share your notes and highlights with other people - could you make use of the Kindle's Social Networking facility in conjunction with Facebook?

It would be possible for you to set up a facebook group with people you want to share your notes and highlights with and the latest generation of Kindles allow you to post notes and highlights to facebook online. You can set it up so only those people you want to can see your items.

Not saying that this is the best approach but thought I'd suggest it. More info here:

http://www.kinworm.com/2010/12/easy-...-all-your.html

Sounds like you're doing pretty well yourself to devise a macro

Hopefully other people will have some more suggestions for you.

Last edited by TheKindleWorm; 01-17-2011 at 01:50 PM.
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 01:58 PM   #3
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
http://kindle.amazon.com

If you go to this site you can enter your account information and you will be able to view all of your notes and highlights. You can print them out and move them to a Word Document by cutting and pasting. The site might be setup so that you can export the information more easily.

Whoops, I missed that this was for personal documents so that this method won't work. Sorry.

Last edited by ProfCrash; 12-10-2010 at 02:17 PM.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 02:14 PM   #4
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkinser View Post
Hi, I'm new to the forum and new to Kindle, but already found much of use here -- so thanks. I haven't been able to find anything on this issue, though.

So I looked at Kindle for PC, IPhone, etc., thinking anyone could get that to read Kindle files. But the application doesn't seem to like personal documents. Maybe I gave up too quickly.

If anyone has had success with other methods, I'd appreciate some advice.
Can't speak for the Kindle 4Iphone but the Kindle 4 PC does handle non Amazon files just fine, I use it all the time, they must be (MOBI/PRC/AWZ) files however. Also if you still seem to have problems with K4PC you can always try MobiPocket's MobiReader.

Have the third party install MobiReader and send them your documents(awz&mdp) and they will be able to view your comments, highlights and notes. As well as add their own.

History, Amazon bought MobiPocket for their eBook and format technology. The formats to date are virtually identical. The irony is MobiPocket's tools are still better than Amazon's and any competitor even though nothing has came out of MP since Amazon acquired them.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 02:18 PM   #5
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
http://kindle.amazon.com

If you go to this site you can enter your account information and you will be able to view all of your notes and highlights. You can print them out and move them to a Word Document by cutting and pasting. The site might be setup so that you can export the information more easily.
Nice site, but this will not work for the OP, s/he is annotating to documents not purchased from the Amazon site.
Old 12-10-2010, 02:19 PM   #6
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Nice site, but this will not work for the OP, s/he is annotating to documents not purchased from the Amazon site.
YEah I missed that and corrected my post.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 04:42 PM   #7
kkinser
Newbie with a Bullet

=X=

I just went back to K4PC and the site says:

"Periodicals such as newspapers, magazines, and blogs, and personal documents can only be delivered to and read on Kindle devices and cannot be viewed on Kindle for PC or other Kindle applications."

I'll try Mobipocket Reader and let you know how it works.
Old 12-10-2010, 05:01 PM   #8
kkinser
Newbie with a Bullet

I should know by now that theories are not data...

Instead of just looking at the web page, I actually tried to open a personal document with K4PC. =X= was correct. It works fine.

I'm still struggling with Mobipocket, though. How do I get it to recognize my Kindle files? There's no *.* option.
Old 12-10-2010, 06:34 PM   #9
=X=
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkinser View Post
I should know by now that theories are not data...

Instead of just looking at the web page, I actually tried to open a personal document with K4PC. =X= was correct. It works fine.

I'm still struggling with Mobipocket, though. How do I get it to recognize my Kindle files? There's no *.* option.
(*) Instructions assume you're running windows.

In explorer right click on the file and select open with. If there is no MobiReader option for it select the "Choose Program..." menu option. Find the program called 'reader' and that will launch the program.

Note Mobireader moves the eBook file to it's own directory called MOBI. The location of that Directory can be set in the options.

=X=

Last edited by =X=; 12-10-2010 at 06:48 PM.
Old 08-21-2011, 03:48 PM   #10
Rob Crawford
Rob Crawford began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
To display highlights and notes to personal documents on Kindle for the Mac or Kindle for the PC:

For the Mac, download DesktopUtility, select "Show Invisible Files".
Then copy the .doc file and the .mbp file from your Kindle, using the USB cable, to your hidden Kindle file on your drive, which is Library/Application Files/Kindle/My Kindle Content. Open Kindle for Mac -- voila!

Same works for Kindle for the PC -- putting files in the Kindle content folder for PC.
Rob Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote