Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-12-2010, 07:03 PM   #16
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Unproven at this point. The only thing known for sure is there is supposed to be an ibook store.
There's no reason to believe otherwise. Other book apps are already available for the iPhone/iPod touch.

Quote:
Who? Do you have a source for this information? Specific magazines and newspapers? Where's the line start?
The NYT was on stage at the iPad unveiling. The WSJ has confirmed they are supporting the iPad. Wired has demo'd their forthcoming iPad app. CondeNast has confirmed 5 other of their mags (GQ, Glamour) will appear with updated apps (not with the "Wired" treatment, but updated iPhone apps).

Then there are all the magazines and news papers that already have iPhone apps. Time, USA Today, Popular Science to name just a couple that are already on my iphone.

Quote:
Should be? Should be compatible?
Yes, according to Jobs and demonstrated with the Facebook app and a racing game. According to the Apple website: http://www.apple.com/ipad/app-store/ 150,000 iphone apps ready to run on the iPad.

Quote:
I think it might be wise to wait and see what really happens.
They showed this working at their unveiling. And not just through a power point presentation. Journalists with their hands on actual ipads -- running iPhone apps "pixel doubled".

And why would this be hard? The iPad runs the iPhone OS. You can sell your FUD to someone else, I'm not buying

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 07:16 PM   #17
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Yes book apps are available on iphone, but for how much longer? There is no reason to believe that they will automatically be available on the iPad. It's a brand new playing field and Apple has already crippled it in many significant ways. We will not know for sure what apps and controlled by whom will be available for it. Yes many newspapers are available even for free via calibre and straight to my Sony or Kindle or computer (and tablet if I should buy one)

I've never seen so many people so will to believe the hype and just follow along without even any real specs of formats, drm, restrictions, etc. I can only standby and give notice. If you want to race ahead, be my guest.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 07:27 PM   #18
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
To the OP... glad you are getting it, and enjoy

Forgive the folks here who have to mock, call names and condemn because of your choice. Narrow little minds are that way. I am more interested in the potential of the MS Courier at this point, but who knows... an iPad could be in my future too....

And, as someone else said, I'm actually enjoying reading on my netbook... it's actually better than I thought (for me)....

edit: A great iPad forum that you can discuss the device in, without endless abuse is http://www.ipadforums.net/forumindex.php

Last edited by Bremen Cole; 03-12-2010 at 07:55 PM.
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 07:27 PM   #19
sianon
Addict
sianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony 500, Bebook, Kindle, Eco reader Drs and soon the Archos 9
Quote:
Yes book apps are available on iphone, but for how much longer? There is no reason to believe that they will automatically be available on the iPad.
given that it will be very easy to transfer non drm epubs to the ibooks app, there wont be a problem if the other reader apps are not allowed. it really is trival to remove drm from epubs and most kindle books.
sianon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 07:29 PM   #20
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sianon View Post
given that it will be very easy to transfer non drm epubs to the ibooks app, there wont be a problem if the other reader apps are not allowed. it really is trival to remove drm from epubs and most kindle books.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 07:32 PM   #21
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremen Cole View Post

Forgive the folks here who have to mock, call names and condemn because of your choice. Narrow little minds are that way. I am more interested in the potential of the MS Courier at this point, but who knows... an iPad could be in my future too....

And, as someone else said, I'm actually enjoying reading on my netbook... it's actually better than I thought (for me)....
Yep I sure wish that I could have the color, speed and clarity of my iPhone on my Sony 900 with it's battery life......that's the ereader I'm hoping for!

I'd also love to have a tablet device as well about 1/4 the thickness/size of my Acer Aspire, but running windows 7 for compatibility.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:51 PM   #22
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
Quote:
Yep I sure wish that I could have the color, speed and clarity of my iPhone on my Sony 900 with it's battery life......that's the ereader I'm hoping for!

I'd also love to have a tablet device as well about 1/4 the thickness/size of my Acer Aspire, but running windows 7 for compatibility.
Yes, my only real complaint with my little gateway is it's form... a little big, and a little heavy... not bad, and usable... but still........... battery life at 8 hours is really fine for me......

I am really thinking about selling my 300, the eInk technology is not for me. I am somewhat visually impaired, and I struggle with lighting issues..... The iPad looks great but 1) I don't have the money right now and 2) I want to see what comes out next!
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 08:33 PM   #23
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks. I am not normally a "be the first on the block to get something" kind of guy. I didn't get the first iphone, I got the second. My laptop is 3 years old and so are my cameras (where my serious toy money is spent).

The iPad happened to be announced right before my birthday, and with a price point I was frankly shocked by. It's withing my "one toy every now an then" price range.

Quote:
Fanboys and haters....two sides of the same coin. A pox on both their houses.

The courier looks interesting. I like technology, I like gadgets. Even when I don't buy one, I'm typically at least interested. I don't want a netbook, but I think they're cool and wouldn't dream of denigrating someone who wanted one.

I want the 10" screen for sharing photos. The "two smaller screens" of the Courier kinda takes it out of my main reason for getting the iPad. Still, for reading books, it's like having a book opened. But no, even that doesn't make sense to me. It's no big deal to turn the page. I'm not sure what those two screens will be good for that one larger screen wouldn't be better for. But I'll be interested to hear from you when you get yours

Quote:
I like reading on my iPhone -- I can see that reading on a netbook would be better than my large, heavy, hot laptop.

Quote:
edit: A great iPad forum that you can discuss the device in, without endless abuse is http://www.ipadforums.net/forumindex.php
That is a good site. Frankly, though, I like conversations with more than one pov. I'm not upset that everyone doesn't share my opinions.

Lee
Old 03-12-2010, 08:56 PM   #24
leebase
Karma Kameleon

Quote:
Yes book apps are available on iphone, but for how much longer? There is no reason to believe that they will automatically be available on the iPad.
There's a lot more reason to believe they will than to invent conspiracy theories that say they won't. And EVEN if they are not, it will be trivial to convert my ebooks from other sources into epub format for use on Apple's book app.

I realize this is a mobile reading forum and so books are top of the agenda. But books are not top of my reasons for getting an iPad. I like reading books on my iPhone and will most likely continue to. Magazines, on the other hand -- the larger screen will be much better for -- and Apple has touted the newspapers and magazines coming to the iPad.

Quote:
It's a brand new playing field and Apple has already crippled it in many significant ways. We will not know for sure what apps and controlled by whom will be available for it.
So Apple takes off some smut and refuses apps that violate AT&T's usage policies or duplicates functionality. That does not translate into anything more than what it is. I've been happily living with Apple's "walled garden" with my iPhone and my kids with the iPod touch. It is our very positive experiences with those devices that lead me to be an early adopter of the iPad. The iPad is not NEW, it's merely larger.

Quote:
Yes many newspapers are available even for free via calibre and straight to my Sony or Kindle or computer (and tablet if I should buy one)
I love Calibre. Just started using it only recently and had no idea about the cool news source to ebook conversions it had built in. However, I actually like the format of magazines and newspapers over straight text. But there is Calibre to epub to the Apple book reader as one of the many content options.

Quote:
I've never seen so many people so will to believe the hype and just follow along without even any real specs of formats, drm, restrictions, etc. I can only standby and give notice. If you want to race ahead, be my guest.
I've been using an iPhone OS device for a couple years now. As many people have said in an attempt to denigrate the iPad "it's just a large iPod Touch". Yeah - that's a DESIRABLE thing in my book because my family and I like our iPod Touches.

You aren't "giving notice" you are attempting to spread FUD. At worst -- if all your conspiracy theories and FUD became true -- I'd have to spend a tiny bit of energy stripping off the DRM of my ebooks and converting them to ePub.

How is this different than the Kindle, the Nook or the Sony readers? None of them respect the DRM of anybody but their own.

Apple had working product in the hands of the press on it's grand announcement day. That's far more than anyone's gotten from ANY of the "iPad Killers". Apple's videos show the iPad in use. Adoble/HP's video is filled with fast cuts such that you have no idea how it really performs.

The kindle has been out for awhile now -- and I bet STILL -- most people who buy one have never seen one. I've yet to see a kindle in the wild. I just last week got to see a Nook at a B&N store.

Apple took over the mp3 market and is now even the number one seller of music. Apple took over 20% of the smartphone market and sent all the other manufacturers scrambling to respond to the iPhone. Apple took the phone part out of the iphone and had a mega hit consumer product with the iPod Touch. Together Apple has sold over 70+ million iPhone OS devices.

And now Apple is taking that proven market rocking combo into a new arena complete with major support and partnership from 5 of the top 6 publishing companies and vaunted newspapers like the New York Times and Wall Street Journal.

That's not hype. That's reaping the rewards of past excellence.

Lee
Old 03-12-2010, 09:12 PM   #25
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
I went with the iPad for it's nice large beautiful screen
132dpi screen - that's a step backwards and really disappointing when you can get devices with reflective screens and 50% better resolution.

Nevertheless, I'm really interested in the software Apple brings to the table. Personally, I'm hoping that they shake up the epub spec with some much-needed extensions to allow better ebook design.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 09:12 PM   #26
kennyc

Quote:
,....3 years old and so are my cameras (where my serious toy money is spent).

Lee

Tell me more.
Old 03-12-2010, 09:15 PM   #27
kennyc

Quote:
And now Apple is taking that proven market rocking combo into a new arena complete with major support and partnership from 5 of the top 6 publishing companies and vaunted newspapers like the New York Times and Wall Street Journal.

That's not hype. That's reaping the rewards of past excellence.

Lee

Old 03-12-2010, 09:19 PM   #28
leebase
Karma Kameleon

Quote:
Tell me more.
I currently shoot with a Canon 5D and 40D with Canon 24-105 f4L IS, Sigma 70-200 f2.8, Canon 85 f1.8, Sigma 30 f1.4

Pretty much every one of those items cost more than my iPad. Well, the Sigma 30mm f1.4 was perhaps only $350 or so.

Then again, I've made more money shooting weddings and portraits than I've spent on gear. It's showing off these photos that has me itching for the iPad to begin with

Lee
Old 03-12-2010, 09:27 PM   #29
kennyc

Quote:
I currently shoot with a Canon 5D and 40D with Canon 24-105 f4L IS, Sigma 70-200 f2.8, Canon 85 f1.8, Sigma 30 f1.4

Pretty much every one of those items cost more than my iPad. Well, the Sigma 30mm f1.4 was perhaps only $350 or so.

Then again, I've made more money shooting weddings and portraits than I've spent on gear. It's showing off these photos that has me itching for the iPad to begin with

Lee

Thanks for the info. I had a 5D but sold it, currently have a 20D, 40D and 1Ds MkIII that 24-105 is a great lens.

I've now where near paid for my cameras, but have made a bit of mad money from my photography.
Old 03-12-2010, 09:39 PM   #30
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
Forgive the folks here who have to mock, call names and condemn because of your choice. Narrow little minds are that way.
It is okay that you think I have a "narrow little mind"-- people who think it is perfectly swell to use a product that exercises such draconian control over what software you can buy, where you can buy it, and how you can use it have no mind at all.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote