Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 06-26-2013, 11:40 PM   #541
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsy74 View Post
@Kiwidude thanks for answering me. Are you referring to creating the custom column? I did that. I re-read the 1st 2 pages of this forum but I am not sure what I am looking for.
You are looking for this
Quote:
Originally Posted by Post #1 in this thread
Special Notes:

Requires calibre v0.8.57 or later.

To enable sending your custom page count column to your Kindle (requires calibre 0.8.40 or later), go to Preferences -> Plugins -> Device Interface plugins -> Kindle 2/3/4/Touch Device Interface and click Customise plugin. Type the name of your custom column in the textbox as shown in the attached screenshot 6 below.
Its Screenshot 4, not 6

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 08:06 PM   #542
bugsy74
bugsy74 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle keyboard
Excellent, worked like a charm. Thanks for your help!
bugsy74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 06:14 AM   #543
Coolbox
Coolbox began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle gen. 4
Hi,

I have downloaded page numbers from goodreads, made a custom column, and everything else in the guide. However I am not sending the books to my kindle, I safe it on disk and copy it via usb.
Is that a problem for this page count solution? Because I cannot se pages, I only see location...
Do I need a specifict version of firmware on my kindle?
Coolbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 04:14 PM   #544
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
@coolbox - why do you not send the books to your Kindle? That right there is the problem. Your only option if you want to use Save to Disk is to use the separate APNX File Generator plugin, however that has not been maintained and does not support getting from the custom column this plugin populates.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:21 PM   #545
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by From 1st post
The first approach is estimation based on the book content, provided you have an ePub format or a format that is convertible to ePub. The format used if your book has multiple is chosen based on your Preferred Input Format order, that you set in Preferences -> Behavior.
I only use the word count estimate. I very rarely convert from ePub so for conversion purposes its way down in my Preferred Input list. I almost always convert to ePub - hence its my Preferred Output format

I'm looking for help on how to hack the plugin so that if the book has an epub (Preferred Output) then it counts the words in that, rather than converting something from the preferred input list. I had a look at the plugin but I couldn't work out how to make it do that.

I need the word count before I run Modify over the EPUB to remove the cover and add the book jacket.

At the moment I get round the problem by pushing the ePub to the top of Preferred Input format list, do the Count Pages, then push the Epub below the actual Preferred Input formats, and then do the Modify. I find having to put Count Pages between a pair of Preference setting changes a bit tedious.

It's become an issue since I put jackets at the back of the ePubs, the jacket includes the #wordcount custom column. The colleagues to whom I send the ePubs find the word count useful. The difference between the original PRC and the final EPUB can be as much as 33%.

The 'books' are factual public domain papers, reports, dissertations etc.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 07-17-2013 at 11:23 PM.
Old 08-06-2013, 12:12 PM   #546
zoorakhan
zoorakhan began at the beginning.

Device: ipad 2
Custom Values in column by mathematically manipulating values generated by plug-in

Nowadays my book title in my ebook reader goes like this
[Gunning Fox Index] [Book Title] [Word Count]
It give a rough idea how much time I will have to invest to finish the book book. But not satisfied, I would like a more accurate representation.
[Book Title] [ Time to finish in hours]

I have the values of Gunning Fox Index and Word Count from the plug-in. And I know my reading speed is around 350 words per minute (WPM).

Thus
Time to read (minutes) = Word Count / Reading Speed
Time to read (hours) = Time to read (minutes) / 60
Adjusted time of read when taking into account the Gunning Fox Index (hours) = [Time to read (hours)] * [(Gunning Fox Index of the book) * (Index Correction Factor, which I take to be 8)]

This ensures book with a gunning box index of lower than 8 (which means books are very basic) will show adjusted time lower than values generated wihout taking GF index into account and vice versa for for complex books having gunning fox higher than 8. (A Discourse Upon the Origin and the Foundation of the Inequality Among Mankind is the highest in my library with value of 23.54)

How can I get this value in a custom column in calibre ? I tried reading the manual but have given up. Best I could do was exporting a catalog in csv format and making a excel file out of it, but can't export these values into ebook reader then. So, if some kind soul could spoon feed me the formula and steps how to go about it , it would be super nice.

TLDR: How to make a custom column that takes value of a custom column (word count) divides it by a constant (3600) multplied by another constant (my WPM i.e. 350). Then the value produced is to be multiplied by value produced by dividing the value in another custom column (Gunning Fox Index) multiplied by another constant (Index Correction Factor, which is to be 8 in my case)
zoorakhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:01 PM   #547
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

I am not sure how to do in baseline calibre, but I would
  1. add a column to Calibre for read time,
  2. create a catalogue csv with title, author, word count, GF Index etc
  3. open catalogue csv in excel, calculate read time, save new catalogue csv
  4. read updated catalogue csv into the Import List plugin, and update read time

BR
Old 08-07-2013, 08:41 AM   #548
Man Eating Duck
Addict
Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Kobo Aura, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoorakhan View Post

TLDR: How to make a custom column that takes value of a custom column (word count) divides it by a constant (3600) multplied by another constant (my WPM i.e. 350). Then the value produced is to be multiplied by value produced by dividing the value in another custom column (Gunning Fox Index) multiplied by another constant (Index Correction Factor, which is to be 8 in my case)
The calibre template language should be more than adequate to do these calculations.

Create a new custom column called Reading time or something, choose "Column built from other columns" as type. In the template field, use
Code:
program:multiply(divide(field('#words'),21000),divide(field('#gunning'),8))
I hope I got your formula right. 21000 is your base WPH speed, and Gunning index is divided by 8 to get your gunning factor. To tweak it, the easisest is to double-click a field in the column "Reading time", and you can change the formula while seeing a live preview.

Change #words and #gunning according to your custom column names.

You'll probably want to format the number, to get two decimal digits you can wrap the template in format_number, ie
Code:
program:format_number(multiply(divide(field('#words'),21000),divide(field('#gunning'),8)), '{0:.2f}')
Hope this helps
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	reading_time.png
Views:	293
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	109042   Click image for larger version

Name:	reading_time_column_view.PNG
Views:	300
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	109043  
Man Eating Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 01:31 PM   #549
zoorakhan

Quote:
add a column to Calibre for read time,
create a catalogue csv with title, author, word count, GF Index etc
open catalogue csv in excel, calculate read time, save new catalogue csv
read updated catalogue csv into the Import List plugin, and update read time
I saw it and spent some time on this method but i failed to match books about 30-40 % of the time (all unmatched books were by multiple authors so it is possible I may be using the plugin incorrectly) but got the other books correctly and infact i had already manually searched the remaining books but calibre crashed.

So while your solution was time consuming in retrospect it gave results 60-70 % of the time and failed the rest presumably due to my stupidity. But anywhichway, i got to know a intriguing plugin with which i'll play around and I m sure it will prove useful in coming time.

Quote:
I hope I got your formula right. 21000 is your base WPH speed, and Gunning index is divided by 8 to get your gunning factor. To tweak it, the easisest is to double-click a field in the column "Reading time", and you can change the formula while seeing a live preview.

Change #words and #gunning according to your custom column names.

You'll probably want to format the number, to get two decimal digits you can wrap the template in format_number, ie
This went way beyond spoon feeding. It is almost if you deposited the nutrients to the individual cell mitochondria. Thanks a whole bunch. It was almost as easy as copy pasting your formula to the column template. In fact you even corrected the silly mistake i made to multiply my WPM speed with 3600 (and not 60)

These are non-existent quibbles, I m almost asking you to ignore them.

1. Formula encountered a error because I had word count column set up with thousand separators (eg. 123456 is shown as 1,23,456). Had to erase the format for numbers for that column and values showed up like magic. (it was magic for me as i had struggled for multiple hours with import list plugin method. your method was much more noob proof)

2. Since I have the calculated values, I was wondering if my some chance I could copy only the values (kinda like copying a cell with formula to another cell with paste ->values only in MS Excel) and delete the original column wherein the values were calculated.

The reason I m asking is I read somewhere in these forums that are columns that are calculated from other columns slow the library.

I m now on my home desktop now, but I will have to access calibre library on my weak field/work laptop in a weeks time where I load it up from a USB drive. And then I could format the word count values to show commas some the make sense.

Like I said these are minor quibbles and I can live with them very comfortably. And thanks again.

Last edited by zoorakhan; 08-07-2013 at 01:37 PM.
Old 08-08-2013, 12:25 AM   #550
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
I saw it and spent some time on this method but i failed to match books about 30-40 % of the time (all unmatched books were by multiple authors so it is possible I may be using the plugin incorrectly)
I think you need to use the name of the Author in which the Book is stored - which is normally the first author.

I must admit I've not used a catalogue csv as the starting point for an Import List process - I've mainly used those that I've create from the format file names that I glean from Windows Search.

When I saw Man Eating Duck's solution I assumed it would be much better and more direct.

Quote:
Since I have the calculated values, I was wondering if my some chance I could copy only the values (kinda like copying a cell with formula to another cell with paste ->values only in MS Excel) and delete the original column wherein the values were calculated.
I think you should be able to do that with Bulk Metadata Edit->Search and Replace

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 08-08-2013 at 02:57 AM.
Old 08-08-2013, 05:04 AM   #551
Man Eating Duck
Addict
Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Kobo Aura, Sony PRS-650
Quote:

1. Formula encountered a error because I had word count column set up with thousand separators (eg. 123456 is shown as 1,23,456). Had to erase the format for numbers for that column and values showed up like magic. (it was magic for me as i had struggled for multiple hours with import list plugin method. your method was much more noob proof)
That is probably because the field is delivered to the function as a string, but because of weak typing it is treated as a number by the divide function. If your formatting for the words field was {0:,}, you can keep the separator for display but replace the comma in the formula in this manner:
Code:
program:format_number(multiply(divide(re(field('#words'),',',''),21000),divide(field('#gunning'),8)), '{0:.2f}')
Quote:
2. Since I have the calculated values, I was wondering if my some chance I could copy only the values (kinda like copying a cell with formula to another cell with paste ->values only in MS Excel) and delete the original column wherein the values were calculated.

The reason I m asking is I read somewhere in these forums that are columns that are calculated from other columns slow the library.
I don't think you will get a significant performance hit with this column since it uses general program mode, which is compiled. I believe those issues were solved quite some time ago. Just try it

If you're concerned you could always do what BetterRed suggests. You could also ask forum user chaley what he thinks, he's the wizard behind the whole template language, send him a PM with a link to my post.
Man Eating Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 04:03 AM   #552
zoorakhan

Sorry for not replying sooner. But my computer got fried during a power surge. I'll get it back after the individual components manufacturers send the repaired parts as thank god they were in majority. Also a good stabilizer can't do anything if the surge is big enough.
Old 09-01-2013, 10:54 AM   #553
TrulyInnovative
TrulyInnovative began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by odinokij View Post
Hello,

A long time ago you included in this plugin the possibility of counting pages for cbr and cbz formats (as number of images in the rar (cbr) or zip (cbz) file).

It worked fine, but from several months ago, the plugin fails to count pages on these formats giving this error log:

Count Page/Word Statistics
-------------------------------
Logfile for book ID 1297 (Basura)
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre_plugins.count_pages.jobs", line 137, in do_statistics_for_book
File "calibre_plugins.count_pages.statistics", line 263, in get_cbr_page_count
ImportError: No module named libunrar

I understand that a module "libunrar" to unrar the file has disappeared, but the new versions of the plugin don't include this module.

Could you please check and fix this error, or tell me where to find the missing module and where should I copy it?

Thanks for all your work, you're great.
Odinokij
I have the same problem. Is there any news regarding this issue?
TrulyInnovative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 02:23 PM   #554
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
v1.6.7 Released

Changes in this release:
  • Fix for calibre changing location of unrar library affecting CBR page counts.
  • Plugin now requires calibre 1.0.0

I don't know exactly what release of calibre Kovid moved the unrar library within the code but the above should hopefully be a safe version number. You should all be using calibre 1.x by now of course...
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 08:46 PM   #555
TrulyInnovative
TrulyInnovative began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
Changes in this release:
  • Fix for calibre changing location of unrar library affecting CBR page counts.
  • Plugin now requires calibre 1.0.0

I don't know exactly what release of calibre Kovid moved the unrar library within the code but the above should hopefully be a safe version number. You should all be using calibre 1.x by now of course...
Awesome, it works great now! Thank you for the fix.
TrulyInnovative is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
count, count pages, page count, pages, plugin