Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-31-2012, 05:42 PM   #1
Blue2u
Wizard
Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Audiobook, where to start?

I've had my T1 awhile now and would like to try the audiobook feature. I have no idea where to start. I checked the wiki and couldn't find anything about requirements etc. I don't even know where to find audiobooks! I would like free/bargain to try first. Is 'Audible.com' a good site, and would it be compatible with T1? How do I get them onto my T1? I currently use only Calibre for my library. I'm sure it's all pretty straight forward, once you know where to start!?
Any and all help is appreciated,
Blue2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 06:06 PM   #2
silverraven
Guru
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle 4NTB x 4
I don't use my T1 for audio books, I have a Sansa Clip Zip for that, but I get my audio books from my public library.
Hope that helps.
S
silverraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 07:42 PM   #3
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I get audiobooks from the public library too. Another source is librivox.org which are free audiobooks based on public domain material. That might be an easy way to download an audiobook for your first test.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 08:06 AM   #4
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Booksonboard also sells audiobooks...they are mp3 downloads. The public library audiobooks use a version of Overdrive for audio files that you would have to download to your computer. My library has wma or mp3 format. Audible has "apps" for mobile devices if you are planning to try that one.
Audiobooks are a lot more expensive than ebooks. You might want to try out "text to speech" instead with an app like Mantano Reader. Haven't tried it myself but I understand that some persons find it surprisingly good.
Quote from http://jasonrenshaw.typepad.com/jaso...ture-kids.html
One function I particularly enjoyed, however, was the TTS (Text to Speech) option, which when activated basically reads the text to you out loud. It does have that flat, somewhat expressionless monotone you expect from a computer-generated TTS function, but it was much better than I thought it would be and for the reader who enjoys the aural supplement I think it does a wonderful job.

Last edited by Cdesja5; 09-01-2012 at 08:15 AM.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 08:20 PM   #5
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PEZ, Color Libre, 2@Sony T1, Onyx i62HD
Watch out on BooksonBoard audio books. Some of wma which are drm'd. The mp3's are drm free though.

Checking out at online libraries you can get either mp3 or wma, again mp3's are drm free and wma's have drm.

The only site I purchase my mp3 audio books from is AudioBookStand.com. They deliver an mp3 disk, or several cd disks if you prefer that format. AudioBookStand.com also has a sister site that you can download books, but they are not mp3's but they do work in readers just fine, I believe. I've never downloaded from them.

Librivox is gutenberg.com's audio books that volunteer's read. Not professional reader's but all are acceptable.

Audible.com is another site, but I don't like their terms so I don't buy from them.

AJ
AJ Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 11:52 PM   #6
sharphamster
Anathema Device
sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T3/350, Kobo AuraH20/Mini, Axim X50v
I'm fond of Old Time Radio if you're interested in something like that. All sorts of genres - CBS Radio Mystery Theater is a favorite.

Archive.org has a ton of titles to browse also.

Last edited by sharphamster; 09-01-2012 at 11:57 PM.
sharphamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 11:22 PM   #7
Frescard
Enthusiast
Frescard plays well with othersFrescard plays well with othersFrescard plays well with othersFrescard plays well with othersFrescard plays well with othersFrescard plays well with othersFrescard plays well with othersFrescard plays well with othersFrescard plays well with othersFrescard plays well with othersFrescard plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Battery Life

What kind of battery life can one expect when listening to audio books?

Last edited by Frescard; 09-03-2012 at 02:38 PM.
Frescard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 11:42 PM   #8
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Sony T1 has Text to Speak?? Where / How do you activate that?

Far as I can find its MP3 Only Best is to put them on a SD Card micro than insert it play like the music....added the same way.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:15 AM   #9
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Sony T1 has Text to Speak?? Where / How do you activate that?

Far as I can find its MP3 Only Best is to put them on a SD Card micro than insert it play like the music....added the same way.
Sorry! My bad!forgot we were talking about the t1 and described my reading app on my tablet. I blame it on multitasking, not my age or hair color...
Old 09-03-2012, 12:18 AM   #10
Cdesja5
Wizard

Some Android apps will work on a rooted t1 but I don't know if TTS would even if Mantano could.

Last edited by Cdesja5; 09-03-2012 at 12:22 AM.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:58 AM   #11
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Darn...here I was hoping I missed it in the instructions ugh Just got my T1 still learning in LOL
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:32 AM   #12
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
I really don't think Sony e-readers are the greatest use for regular length audiobooks, but I keep podcasts, dramatic readings, and some shorter library offerings (under a couple of hours) in mp3 format on my 650.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:21 AM   #13
bla
E bookworm
bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T1,Android Tablet, I phone
The t1 will indeed handle both mp3 and wma (non-drm) formats just be aware that playing audio will eat your battery... the device was designed as a book reader.. if you are heavily into audio books I would suggest you invest in a cheap ipod or similar....
bla is offline   Reply With Quote