Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 12-27-2010, 06:49 AM   #151
faolan
faolan has much to be proud offaolan has much to be proud offaolan has much to be proud offaolan has much to be proud offaolan has much to be proud offaolan has much to be proud offaolan has much to be proud offaolan has much to be proud offaolan has much to be proud offaolan has much to be proud offaolan has much to be proud of

Device: Sony PRS-505
Oh hai gaiz, its my first post here. I tired to contact the creators of this firmware a few weeks ago but they never got back, so I thought I'd just post here since this is where I first learned about this interesting project. So here is my little pre-review of the ebookapplications firmware.

I have to say that this firmware has a very nice UI and is very fast on my
PRS-505. Although, I've found on my epub collection the rendering is quite
odd. Thought it was just a format issue, so I tried some of the sample books
supplied (great selection, btw).

Basically, there are two things that I am seeing that are a little off putting
and a bit of an annoyance: instead of the text running right up the the edge
of the screen, there should be a little bit of margin room. This would help
make things more readable, in addition to giving it a more cleaner look. It
doesn't have to be as much space as what Sony used in the original firmware
(which was a bit too much), just enough to give it a nice border.

Secondly, formatting of ebooks seemed rather "cramped". Not sure if this is a
bug on my end but no matter what ebook I loaded the spacing and rendering just
seemed very crowded. The was especially true with epub but seemed to be an
issue with the rendering engine in general. Paragraphs and sections don't look
distinguished and everything runs together.

Also, for some other reason CHM files would not load. I tried reinstalling,
thinking it was an issue similar to that mentioned in the FAQ about PDF, but
unfortunately it was not. They just don't load.

Anyways, other than that, this looks like a great piece of firmware that
really extends the functionality of the original device. Right now these
annoyances -- particularly with the odd rendering and lack of margins -- are
keeping me from using it now as a full time reader. With a little more work
with the rendering engine, this will be some pretty boss software. Being able
to read FB2 and HTML are great additions. Thank you for your hard work.

In short, the amount of features it provides are vast, but it could be well improved upon with a little work.
faolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 10:28 AM   #152
Illinifan
Connoisseur
Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 4, iPhone 4, iPod touch, Sony PRS 300
I'm crossposting this from a thread I started in the main Sony Reader forum since it has to do with the ebook applications software:

I tried to make loading the ebook applications harder than it was. Instead of just moving the whole directory over to the root directory on the Sony, I loaded each directory separately. When I realized my mistake I also went overboard and deleted the other files in the Sony root directory.

Could somebody please post the list of files that are supposed to be there?

Could somebody also please tell me where I might find copies of those files to put back on my PRS 300?

In interest of full disclosure, I've tried the soft and hard resets. I get the 2 choices at to either chose ebooks applications or Sony, but only the Sony works. I can't get ebook applications to load at all.

Illinifan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2010, 04:06 PM   #153
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinifan View Post
I'm crossposting this from a thread I started in the main Sony Reader forum since it has to do with the ebook applications software:

I tried to make loading the ebook applications harder than it was. Instead of just moving the whole directory over to the root directory on the Sony, I loaded each directory separately. When I realized my mistake I also went overboard and deleted the other files in the Sony root directory.

Could somebody please post the list of files that are supposed to be there?

Could somebody also please tell me where I might find copies of those files to put back on my PRS 300?

In interest of full disclosure, I've tried the soft and hard resets. I get the 2 choices at to either chose ebooks applications or Sony, but only the Sony works. I can't get ebook applications to load at all.

You need not worry about missing Sony's files, they will be automatically recreated if missing.

I'd suggest you format your reader, reboot, check if in internal memory very actually deleted, then put stuff there again. (by the way, it doesn't matter if you do it folder by folder or all at once, given you don't disconnect the reader while copying them).
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 10:28 PM   #154
Illinifan
Connoisseur
Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the suggestion, kartu. I tried doing what you said and still get exactly the same result. Namely, I get the Boot Menu that looks like this:

1. ebook applications
2. SONY

Both choices have hands pointing to the #1 and #2 buttons respectively.

If I choose #1, nothing happens...even if I wait for a long time.

If I chose #2, I get the SONY menu option and the ereader works like it just came out of the box.

Any other ideas?
Old 12-28-2010, 09:33 AM   #155
Illinifan
Connoisseur

I read on the ebook applications website that it sometimes takes 2 or 3 reformatings of the PRS 300 to get the software to work, so I tried that. Still no luck.

Decided to try to load the PRS+ application instead. Took off ebook applications and reformated the 300 again. Loaded PRS+. All looked good.

Hooked up the 300 via USB to my PC, started Calibre to load some books and immediately got a device not found error. Tried using the Device button and tried loading books and got more errors. Didn't have time to write them down since I had to leave for work.

What should I try next?
Advert
Old 12-28-2010, 01:40 PM   #156
Illinifan
Connoisseur

I removed the ebooks application again and did a soft boot on the system.

The PRS+ firmware is loaded and is working correctly.

I was able to use Calibre to download 4 books to the PRS-300 and was able to read everything ok.

So I have an ereader that works, but I would love to have the ability to scale fonts.

Any ideas on what to do next to try to get the ebooks application to work?

Old 12-29-2010, 07:34 AM   #157
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

To elaborate on problems with deletes/formats (weird if you have to format more than once). Sony's software is caching UI files. It does NOT support working with files that get deleted / changed, for obvious reason. So when you start ebookapps, then change its files in internal memory, you get cache that is half broken as well as file system that is half broken.

So if ebookapps has started, you have NO clean way to modify its files! On the bright side, it doesn't start if you connect it to USB while reader is booting. So as a rule of thumb, when modifying something related to it:

a) restart the reader (settings => advanced settings => shutdown, then switch it on)
b) immediately connect it to USB while it's still booting
c) now you can change files on Internal Memory
Old 12-29-2010, 01:45 PM   #158
Illinifan
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartu View Post
To elaborate on problems with deletes/formats (weird if you have to format more than once). Sony's software is caching UI files. It does NOT support working with files that get deleted / changed, for obvious reason. So when you start ebookapps, then change its files in internal memory, you get cache that is half broken as well as file system that is half broken.

So if ebookapps has started, you have NO clean way to modify its files! On the bright side, it doesn't start if you connect it to USB while reader is booting. So as a rule of thumb, when modifying something related to it:

a) restart the reader (settings => advanced settings => shutdown, then switch it on)
b) immediately connect it to USB while it's still booting
c) now you can change files on Internal Memory
kartu,

Thanks for your patience.

I performed a Hard Reset and then I did what you suggested above. However, when I unplug the USB cord from the PRS-300, I immediately get the Boot Menu with the 2 choices of ebook applications and Sony. I chose ebook applications and got no response. I chose Sony and then went through the Settings menus and shut down the reader. I powered the reader back on and got the Boot menu again. I tried selecting ebook applications and waited...nothing. I chose Sony and the PRS+ menus came back up.

There's got to be something I'm missing.

P.S. I did neglect to say that when I connected the Sony to my Windows 7 PC, I got a pop up box asking me if I wanted to Scan and Fix Removable Disk. I chose Continue without Scanning. Should I choose Scan and Fix?

Last edited by Illinifan; 12-29-2010 at 01:53 PM.
Old 12-30-2010, 12:27 AM   #159
Illinifan
Connoisseur

Success!

At 11:30pm, I finally got ebook applications v1.9.0.3 to load onto my PRS-300.

At 11:32pm, I hit "Back" on my browser and found out that they just released v.1.10.0.4 which includes applications like Sudoku, Chess, Calculator and other stuff. Not being one to rest on my laurels, I downloaded the zip file to update 2 minute old software.

After a failed first attempt, I got it to load at 12:20am. Now I'm going to load some books and play with it for a few minutes before I go to bed.

Yes!
Old 12-30-2010, 02:19 AM   #160
kartu
PRS+ author

Quote:
However, when I unplug the USB cord from the PRS-300, I immediately get the Boot Menu with the 2 choices of ebook applications and Sony.
Hmm, this should only happen if the reader wasn't connected to USB during boot.
Old 12-30-2010, 03:23 AM   #161
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
It could be the USB port as not all are equal. Try a different one, especially if using a laptop.
Howard
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 07:19 AM   #162
carmelra
Zealot
carmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toys

Device: iPhone
I have just tested the new firmware update released yesterday - v1.10.0.4.

Unfortunately, all the problems I reported earlier in this thread still exist.

I would really like to see a Sony eReader that supports Hebrew properly. Currently, even with this great firmware it's not possible.

carmelra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 10:19 AM   #163
kartu
PRS+ author

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmelra View Post
I have just tested the new firmware update released yesterday - v1.10.0.4.

Unfortunately, all the problems I reported earlier in this thread still exist.

I would really like to see a Sony eReader that supports Hebrew properly. Currently, even with this great firmware it's not possible.

Well, but you still could convert to PDF.
Old 12-30-2010, 12:41 PM   #164
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kartu View Post
Well, but you still could convert to PDF.
This isn't one of the religion threads, you know.

Sorry. I'll be leaving now.

Seriously; great suggestion!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 02:35 PM   #165
Illinifan
Connoisseur

[QUOTE=WT Sharpe;1302196]This isn't one of the religion threads, you know.

Tags
djvu, epub, fb2, firmware, sony