Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-02-2009, 02:28 PM   #1
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Oh no!!! My sony PRS-505 Broke

I don't know how it happens, I just woke up this morning and was going read a few minutes when I noticed my screen did not work.

Oh man I'm really upset, it has extra sentimental value since my wife engraved it when she gave it to me as a gift.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 02:53 PM   #2
Superlucky
Fanatic
Superlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toys

Device: PRS-505, PRS-350
My condolences. That totally sucks. What's it doing?
Superlucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2009, 03:14 PM   #3
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks

At first it was just a white screen with streaks of black, but now it's all white. There looks to be a crack, around the corner, and that corner is all black.

=X=
Old 12-02-2009, 03:28 PM   #4
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
Could it be a controller problem?

Would still try to call Sony and provide pictures to them if possible.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 03:55 PM   #5
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
A crack? How could that happen unless you dropped it "crushed" it or something?
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2009, 05:50 PM   #6
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
Perhaps it got left on inadvertently and you simply need to put it on an AC charger. I had something similar happen to my 700 and while I nearly had a heart attack, I decided to give it a full charge and that was all that was needed. I still have no idea how I left it on all night, but it happened and it was already at the low end of the charge.

Good luck!
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 05:53 PM   #7
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhbailey View Post
Perhaps it got left on inadvertently and you simply need to put it on an AC charger. I had something similar happen to my 700 and while I nearly had a heart attack, I decided to give it a full charge and that was all that was needed. I still have no idea how I left it on all night, but it happened and it was already at the low end of the charge.

Good luck!
A similar thing happened to me somehow, in my case I noticed it wouldn't come on right after I had dropped it. No damage, but wouldn't come on.

Charged it and poof, restart and all okay.
Old 12-02-2009, 06:08 PM   #8
=X=
Wizard

thanks david, I had a similar though and started charging my device. That is when I noticed the screen started to display a different color on the corner, but the device is not rendering an image.

@kenny. I've not dropped it in a long while. The crack is not visible it just has a different shade that gives the appearance of a crack.

=X=
Old 12-02-2009, 08:06 PM   #9
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
I'd agree with the other users, let it get a couple hours on a wall wart before totally writing it off. There is also the reset button in the back if you missed it. I've had the software freeze once on me, and the reset cleared it up.

It'd be a shame to see one of these guys now that it is discontinued. These I think are the best of Sony's current lineup.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 10:27 PM   #10
duckeedoug
Zealot
duckeedoug doesn't litterduckeedoug doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS 505
You stated that it was engraved. I'm wondering if the vibration or laser engraving could have something to do with the issue?
duckeedoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 09:48 AM   #11
=X=
Wizard

@kolenka. I let it charge for 1/2 a day the screen is lighting up but nothing near what it is suppose to do. Yes I agree with you this is one of there better products it's a shame they discontinued it.

@duckeedoug. The engraving is a feature SONY offered back when they first started selling the reader, It's been close to two years now I don't think that's it....On the other hand maybe its a SONY conspiracy.

Thank you for the suppot folks
Old 12-03-2009, 10:34 AM   #12
Harry001
Addict
Harry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enough

Device: palmone lifedrive+sonyreader 505+NookColor+HPTouchpad \32GB+NookSimple
same here!
after totally emtying the accu and didnt use it for some weeks, it was like dead and was not able to hardreset and load the battery with the USB-Cable.
Kept it on the ac-charger for 4 hours and after one hard-reset tatata worked again

happy reading
Harry
Harry001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 10:44 PM   #13
Sunspark
Zealot
Sunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with others

Device: EZ Reader Pocket PRO
Worst comes to worst, you could buy any 6" e-ink device, and swap the screen in.
Sunspark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 06:53 AM   #14
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunspark View Post
Worst comes to worst, you could buy any 6" e-ink device, and swap the screen in.
Have you ever tried something like that? Not something for the inexperienced.
Old 12-17-2009, 11:59 AM   #15
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
There are still new 505s available - you may have to do some looking, but I'm still seeing them in the wild occasionally.

Hope you can get it working, though!
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote