Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 06-26-2009, 02:41 PM   #1
imaredr
Collector
imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook
Smart Q7 Accessories (Pictures included)

Since the Q7 didn't come with any sort of cover or bag, I have been looking for possible solutions. This is what I came up with and it cost me under $5.00.

I got this bag from Walmart for under $4.00. It is a computer accessory bag. The Q7 fits perfectly, but there was no padding. I got this sponge-like foam pads from Lowes. It was in the Insulation Section. It came in a very large roll for under $6.00. I used very little for this project, maybe about 50 cents worth at most.

I added the padding by turning the bag inside out and I cut slits at the bottom. The slits can be resewn by hand. I haven't gotten around to that yet. Also the padding is about 1/8" thick so I glued two together to make it thicker.

Here are some other pictures so you can get an idea of the fit.

Ellen

As a side note I also saw a black neoprene computer accessory bag there also and the Q7 fits great in that one also. The cost I believe was $3.86
imaredr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 02:47 PM   #2
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
What a great idea, Ellen!
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2009, 03:50 PM   #3
wonderboy
Enthusiast
wonderboy began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen 3, Smart Q7, iPod Touch, Blackberry 8820
Ellen,

Which section of the store did you find these cases in? I have looked and looked at my Wal-Mart and have been unable to find anything that even comes close to this size. I would be particulary interested in the Neoprene case.
wonderboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 07:46 PM   #4
imaredr
Collector
imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderboy View Post
Ellen,

Which section of the store did you find these cases in? I have looked and looked at my Wal-Mart and have been unable to find anything that even comes close to this size. I would be particulary interested in the Neoprene case.
I found both cases in the section where they have those fashion laptop cases. They keep these in the office supply/planners/pens/pencils type stuff. It would make more sense if they were in the computer section. The Laptop cases look as though they are for young girls and aren't well constructed.
The cases are called computer accesory bags. If your Walmart is like mine they change stuff around constantly. HTH

Ellen
Old 07-17-2009, 10:24 PM   #5
wonderboy
Enthusiast

Thanks Ellen. I would never have looked there. Wal-Mart puts things in the strangest places!
Advert
Old 07-18-2009, 03:09 PM   #6
wonderboy
Enthusiast

Thanks Ellen. I found them this morning along with a few other patterns. I bought the black neoprene case for 3.80.
Old 07-18-2009, 06:30 PM   #7
imaredr
Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderboy View Post
Thanks Ellen. I found them this morning along with a few other patterns. I bought the black neoprene case for 3.80.
Great! I was hoping that I gave a good enough description so that you could find it. It's a great case and I hope it will work for you.

Ellen
Old 09-05-2009, 07:16 AM   #8
bjkel
Connoisseur
bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Nook Color, Kobo, Kindle Voyage, Kobo Forma
Hi, I wanted to share my find in a cover.

It's a pencil case! Found at Big W (Australia). I didn't really want to order overseas just for a cover for the SmartQ7 so had a look around the shops.

Fits perfect and has a strong foam feeling to it. Cost AUD$5. Very pleased with that purchase. I can just chuck it in my bag without worry of it being scratched or getting other gunk in it.

If you're wondering why I have a tape over the lamp it's because I found the glare from it annoying while reading. Especially at night. The tape mutes the glare but I can still see the lamp on.
bjkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 03:32 PM   #9
Nation.A.List
Addict
Nation.A.List doesn't litterNation.A.List doesn't litter

Device: SmartQ 7
UPDATE

The leather case that was mentioned previously on this forum will be back in stock shortly at http://www.jiongtang.com/shop/smartq...ory-c-2_6.html

Following my 'nagging' JT now takes PayPal and he sent me an email confirming;
"paypal is ok now , and we will have leather case in stock in next thursday if you still need it , you can buy online and pay through paypal"

Tell them I sent you. You never know, I might get some commission (ROFL)

NB. for some reason I couldn't put any BOLD or UNDERLINE or SMILIES on this post?
Nation.A.List is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 09:39 PM   #10
alilxmas
Enthusiast
alilxmas has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: SmartQ 7, VX787
My Q7 Case

Well it is not as inexpensive as the one above, but I found a case that works for me. (cost $10.00+ free shipping). If you are interested you can search in google for...

"Large Carrying Bag for PSP and Accessories" <---black looking
or
"white Large Carrying Bag for PSP and Accessories" <---white color

And you should see some listings there for it.

First thought was that it looks a bit small but well see.

Wasn't too keen on the velcro closure at first but after thinking about it, it makes it ok for one handed access. Besides they're zippers under it. as well see in the next pic.

The inside has a very nice padding on both sides, in the main compartment.
(little more facing away from the outside - back.)

Zipper pulls are better than I thought I would find.

It does fit nicely, not too big nor too small for it to be moving around.

It is not really and hassle to remove and put it back in , seems like it was made for this unit. Not much room left inside once the Q7 is in.

All zipped up.

Well, now we come to the now the front pocket. I like the way its designed to be used like the other one by not unzipping it all the way. And also just as much because you can unzip it all the way.

Still wondering what I'm going to use most of this space for.
And yes you can use those slots on front 4 slots to hold things like credit cards, business cards etc.

Problem I didn't like was that the mesh side, is not elastic enough seems like it will not hold anything secure in it if you toss the bag around. So don't go opening it upside down if you keep stuff in that mesh pocket.

* It also comes with a shoulder strap, good length to it.

Back of case, would have been better with belt loops attached (might just stitch on some) to wear on the hip as I will not be using the carrying strap as pictured in pic 6.

There is only one more thing to show, that might interest some. That is the 2 side zippers

Did not really expect this in the back, but it is a cool feature, a self contained waist belt. Not too sure if it will fit large people.

PS sorry for the brim of my hat in the pic. (had the camera over my head to take picture)

That leather one from Jiongtang is really nice looking

Last edited by alilxmas; 09-14-2009 at 09:52 PM.
alilxmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 10:00 PM   #11
alilxmas
Enthusiast
alilxmas has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: SmartQ 7, VX787
My Q7 Case

Well it is not as inexpensive as the one above, but I found a case that works for me. (cost $10.00+ free shipping). If you are interested you can search in google for...

"Large Carrying Bag for PSP and Accessories" <---black looking
or
"white Large Carrying Bag for PSP and Accessories" <---white color

And you should see some listings there for it.

First thought was that it looks a bit small but well see.

Wasn't too keen on the velcro closure at first but after thinking about it, it makes it ok for one handed access. Besides they're zippers under it. as well see in the next pic.

The inside has a very nice padding on both sides, in the main compartment.
(little more facing away from the outside - back.)

Zipper pulls are better than I thought I would find.

It does fit nicely, not too big nor too small for it to be moving around.

It is not really and hassle to remove and put it back in , seems like it was made for this unit. Not much room left inside once the Q7 is in.

All zipped up.

Well, now we come to the now the front pocket. I like the way its designed to be used like the other one by not unzipping it all the way. And also just as much because you can unzip it all the way.

Still wondering what I'm going to use most of this space for.
And yes you can use those slots on front 4 slots to hold things like credit cards, business cards etc.

Problem I didn't like was that the mesh side, is not elastic enough seems like it will not hold anything secure in it if you toss the bag around. So don't go opening it upside down if you keep stuff in that mesh pocket.

* It also comes with a shoulder strap, good length to it.

Back of case, would have been better with belt loops attached (might just stitch on some) to wear on the hip as I will not be using the carrying strap as pictured in pic 6.

There is only one more thing to show, that might interest some. That is the 2 side zippers

Did not really expect this in the back, but it is a cool feature, a self contained waist belt. Not too sure if it will fit large people.

PS sorry for the brim of my hat in the pic. (had the camera over my head to take picture)

Last edited by alilxmas; 09-14-2009 at 10:03 PM.
alilxmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 10:19 AM   #12
rebski
rebski began at the beginning.

Device: SmartQ 7
This is a useful thread, I have posted my solution elsewhere and repeat it here so as to keep such information in one place.

I found an Animal Helix neoprene pencil case in my local Staples Office Supplies for £3.99. They are also on eBay for less.

Although the zipped opening is slightly too small and impedes progress but the neoprene stretches enough for it not to be an issue. The end result is a snug fit and in the colour/design of your choice.

However bjkel's suggestion is superior on account of his zip being on the top edge. The Animal (and the other designs in Staples) has the zip on the front panel but close to the top. This makes it just a bit awkward but the stretchability of the neoprene saves the day.
rebski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 01:45 PM   #13
imaredr
Collector

This is a great idea. Thanks for the information. I think I may get one.

Ellen
Old 09-16-2009, 05:06 AM   #14
serwei
Enthusiast
serwei began at the beginning.

Device: Smart Q7
should fit most VAIO P cases..
serwei is offline   Reply With Quote