Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-07-2010, 11:12 AM   #1
jessie102
Addict
jessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: SONY PRS505
Sony PRS950 or BeBook Neo?

I'm trying to decide on whether I should buy the BeBook Neo or the Sony PRS 950

I need:

1. WiFi access to internet (for reading news/email)

2. Formats: PDF w/ reflow, ePub

3. Touch screen

4. Notetaking, handwritten annotation out top of page,

Would Like:

1. text to speech

2. Download books / files off WiFi

3. Additional Language Support in BOTH Books and Web Browser thru installation of extra fonts.

4. JavaScript (good for navigating some websites)
---------------------
I read BeBook supports Text to Speech and Javascript and Downloading, while Sony PRS doesn't support TTS, not sure about Javascript

I still don't know if PRS950 will support additional languages install thru fonts in their web browser

The bonus for BeBook is that it's an open platform, that means it has unlimited apps, but Sony is closed.

Feature for Feature paper spec comparison, BeBook wins everything except size. But thats on paper, there are reports of less than stellar implementation.

Last edited by jessie102; 12-07-2010 at 11:17 AM.
jessie102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 12:27 PM   #2
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Hm, that's a tough one.

The 950 has newer technology such as a Pearl screen and anti-glare touch screen, but the Bebook has some of the specifics you are wanting.

This thread interested me because I origninally almost got a bebook neo when I got my nook, and now I'm getting a new 950 (today!).

I want to recommend the 950, but if the bebook offers that stuff that you want and the 950 doesn't, you may be better off going with the bebook. As for your needs, the 950 has it all - wifi, pdf and epub formats (not sure about reflow?), touch screen, note taking and handwritten annotation. But when it comes to your "would likes", I think the bebook may clobber the 950 (but to be clear, I don't know much about those so I'm not completely sure).
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2010, 12:57 PM   #3
jessie102
Addict
jessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: SONY PRS505
you're getting the PRS950 today? what a coincidence ^_^ I ordered the PRS950 from Adorama but they are on Back Order, so now I have some extra time to decide.

It's helpful to note that because the BeBook has a Wacom digitizer, unlike the older PRS X00 touch models that implement a resistive digitizer, there is no glare. Wacom technology allows the digitizer to be installed under the eink screen. Likewise, this is what the PRSX50 solved with the infrared sensors.
jessie102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 02:04 PM   #4
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Yes, that is helpful to note. Honestly, it seems the bebook may be better for you. I still think I would've been very happy with it. One reason I decided against it is that, even though I heard they are very nice with their support, they are a smaller company and not focusing on the US market, so I was worried about cost of shipping and such if I had a problem (LOL ironically I probably felt like the most of the rest of the world feels about US-focused e-reader companies). The other reasons were its price compared to the nook, and the fact that I couldn't try it out in person first.

This time I went with the 950 without even really considering the bebook, but like I said I have a feeling I'd have been very happy with it and may not have gotten a 950 at this time if I already had the bebook, who knows.

And yes, my 950 is arriving today (I ordered it a few days ago)! I'm excited, as I'm sure you are for whichever one you decide to get. Mine should already be there but I won't be home for a while to play with it.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 04:55 PM   #5
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
From what i know and my experience with Sony devices PRS-950 is the way to go.
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2010, 09:26 AM   #6
Cerco
Cerco began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
...This time I went with the 950 without even really considering the bebook, but like I said I have a feeling I'd have been very happy with it and may not have gotten a 950 at this time if I already had the bebook, who knows.

And yes, my 950 is arriving today (I ordered it a few days ago)! I'm excited, as I'm sure you are for whichever one you decide to get. Mine should already be there but I won't be home for a while to play with it.
Hi,

Could I ask where you ordered your 950 from? I was under the impression that it was on back order everywhere.

Thanks.
Cerco is offline   Reply With Quote