Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-06-2010, 08:39 AM   #1
Crusader
Space Cadet
Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Cybook Opus, Kobo Glo
Biopunk?

I'm busy with a sci-fi reading challenge and one of the challenges is to read a Biopunk novel. The problem is that I can't seem to find a definitive definition on what Biopunk actually entails.

The definition I found was "(n.) [biology + cyberpunk] a subgenre of science fiction which explores the societal effects of biotechnology and genetic engineering. "

Now using that definition something like Robert J. Sawyer's Rollback fits the bill. However someone has remarked that Biopunk needs some kind of resistance movement or oppressive government/corporation.

Now I'm totally confused. Thoughts?
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 09:24 AM   #2
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
The Book of Adam is exactly what you want. And you will not be able to put it down. It was fascinating to me. I got mine at Amazon.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2010, 10:02 AM   #3
boydcarts
Connoisseur
boydcarts began at the beginning.

Device: Nook WiFi, iPad2
I can't help w/ a definition, but based on your criteria I'd suggest Nancy Kress. I think "Beggars in Spain" fits the bill, and it looks to be widely available. I'll admidt I haven't read the book, but I've read several of her other books and quite enjoyed them.
boydcarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 11:30 AM   #4
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
The Windup Girl should work.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 11:52 AM   #5
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
The Windup Girl should work.
Second "The Windup Girl".

(love your avatar)
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2010, 11:53 AM   #6
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Possibly Crache (Mark Budz) or Peter Watts trilogy?
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 12:01 PM   #7
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
Second "The Windup Girl".

(love your avatar)
It is from a painting by Mark Ryden:

http://www.markryden.com/paintings/index.html
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 02:15 PM   #8
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Ooh. Social consequences of genetic engineering/technological uptake is one of my favourite subgenres.

If your reading challenge insists on the corporations/resistance element, then the following will fit the bill:

Nancy Kress. A lot of her work. Domain squatters have taken the obvious URL, but her official webpage can still be found here.

Beggars in Spain is mentioned above. I found it far more satisfying in the original novella version (available in Kress' collection Beaker's Dozen, which has a good many more similarly themed stories). But the trilogy that expands upon it is quite decent reading, even if the last book kind of goes off on a tangent.

If you'd prefer a standalone book, or like to have a thriller/conspiracy element mixed in, then her novel Maximum Light should suit, although frankly, it's kind of at the mid-level of her writing as far as I'm concerned. However, she is a frequent Hugo/Nebula nominee/winner, so that should put to rest any doubts this might raise about overall quality.

Peter Watts is also mentioned above. I second this recommendation and not only will the Rifters Trilogy fit your bill, he offers his works free under a Creative Commons license on his website, which doesn't seem to have hurt his sales.

Since you can't get to a synopsis without basically downloading the entire book when the huge HTML finally loads in your browser window, I'll offer one here: Starfish starts off with emotionally damaged humans modified and exploited to make perfect undersea workers for corporate interests coming across a ticking timebomb of genetic potential. Hilarity ensues The outlook for humanity gets worse from there, as the corporations scramble in response.

Brian Stableford. Like Nancy Kress, a lot of his work is built around this theme, a good chunk of which is placed under the umbrella "universe" of his Biotech Revolution. There's six novels printed by Tor which are set specifically in this world, but I've always found the original short stories/novellas which were expanded into the novels to be better reads, in my opinion. If your library has a good selection of those Gardner Dozois-edited "Year's Best Science Fiction" volumes, many of his key Biotech Revolution stories are collected there.

I especially recommend "The Magic Bullet" (YBSF 7), "The Pipes of Pan" (YBSF 15), and most of all, "Les Fleurs du Mal" (YBSF 12), which is also an excellent retro-futuristic murder mystery.

Some of Stableford's work is available DRM-free and MultiFormat via Fictionwise, including his short story collection, The Great Chain of Being and other tales of the Biotech Revolution which collects what you'd expect and is only $2.99 (less with this weekend's 30% off Fictionwise coupon in the Deals forum, although you can wait to see if FW offers another 50% coupon for the holidays or whatever).

Of the Tor novel expansions, The Cassandra Complex and Architects of Emortality are closest to your criteria. I'd go with TCC because it's truer to "The Magic Bullet" and I really liked "Les Fleurs du Mal" which AoE was based upon and felt that the expansion just basically padded it out unnecessarily while adding a superfluous third-wheel character.

Joan D. Vinge's Tiamat Cycle is perhaps the ultimate expression of this theme, though the corporate/resistance you want doesn't really kick in until World's End/The Summer Queen. And if you want something set on Earth, in the near-future, it may be a bit too far in range for your reading tastes. But it's excellent and Hugo/Nebula award-winning (and multiply-nominated for several of the volumes).

On a lower-key, her "Cat" series is broadly similar in theme, with a half-alien psychic teenager being pressed into use by special interests, and even though it's the second book, Catspaw is a good starting point as well as having the most corporate involvement/depiction of societal effects/underground resistance. Again, set off-planet.

Some of the above may not be all that easy to find in e-book format, so I also tentatively suggest without really recommending Margaret Atwood's Oryx and Crake, which is commonly available.

However, while Atwood is a very good and award-winning prose stylist and I consider her earlier The Handmaid's Tale to be truly excellent, for a near-future sf dystopia arising from backlash against genetic meddling by corporate interests, I found OaC to be disappointly cliché and unimaginative, riddled with poorly-employed standard "tampering with nature is e-e-e-evil!" tropes and the author showing off her cleverness via CutesyCamelCaseProductNaming rather than by showing believable outcomes to an interesting setup.

But your mileage may vary and this one has been nominated for a number of awards. General literary ones, not science-fiction, though. And both Robert J. Sawyer and Peter Watts both have essays up on their websites about the problems with OaC's premise and execution from a science-fictional standpoint.

Incidentally, while you're at Robert J. Sawyer's site, take the time to read his award-winning novella, free in the Short Stories section, "The Hand You're Dealt" to get a near-perfect encapsulation of the genetic engineering/social consequences/establishment resistance themes you want. Also "Identity Theft", though that's more a hardware replacement issue kind of story.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 12:48 PM   #9
boydcarts
Connoisseur
boydcarts began at the beginning.

Device: Nook WiFi, iPad2
I thought Oryx and Crake was excellent, and I read Year of the Flood in one daylong feast. I guess I didn't suggest them because I don't really consider them "Science Fiction" (though I fully understand others will).
boydcarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 08:44 PM   #10
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
Peter Watts is also mentioned above. I second this recommendation and not only will the Rifters Trilogy fit your bill, he offers his works free under a Creative Commons license on his website, which doesn't seem to have hurt his sales.
Only slightly off-topic, but thanks to this link i visited the site, downloaded the four books available and then noticed a PayPal button and dropped $10 into his account. Not much for 4 books, but I could afford it.

Just received a very nice thank-you from Mr. Watts with the following comment:

I'm still kind of blown away that people feel motivated to shell out bucks when they don't have to.

Nice to surprise an author with the fact that there are still folks willing to pay for their efforts, even when they could have had them for free.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 09:30 PM   #11
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I hope those books captivate you as much as they did me. The 3 "Starfish" books were my faves of 2008.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 10:48 PM   #12
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
The Book of Adam is exactly what you want. And you will not be able to put it down. It was fascinating to me. I got mine at Amazon.
I found this very thought provoking. It can be found at smashwords also.
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
<snip>Peter Watts trilogy?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
<snip>
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
I hope those books captivate you as much as they did me. The 3 "Starfish" books were my faves of 2008.
These are available right here, in MobileRead's Patricia Clark Memorial Library, for free (lrf, prc, imp ) and at feedbooks for free (epub, kindle, etc) .
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote