Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-31-2007, 04:32 PM   #31
Puffball
Puffball doesn't litterPuffball doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader
Sony have seen the light in another area, too. Their latest MiniDisc Walkman, the MZ-RH1, can be used to extract ATRAC files from MDs and save them in other formats like mp3. Until now, MD has been a closed system, with no way of getting music data out except by making an analogue copy. Sony's MD management software was especially restrictive and hogtied by DRM considerations. No longer. Mind you, MD is on the way out and maybe they'e belatedly giving MD owners a way to switch to another format!

But I think Sony are beginning to realize that people want flexibility and are reluctant to buy gadgets which depend on proprietary formats. I must say I was surprised and gratified to find that the Reader accepts plain text, RTF and PDF. It's just a pity you can't use it as an external drive and have to use Connect (which I reckon must have been written in a hurry and is seriously deficient in features).
Puffball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 05:21 PM   #32
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
BTW That kid we sent to find a metric ajustable wrench found one! It was written 14mm on the shaft for the maximum opening size. He got the last laugh!
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2007, 06:11 PM   #33
llasram
Reticulator of Tharn
llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic
Hence I agree with llasram. We should figure out the exact usable screensize for our purposes.
Ask and ye shall receive: 88.184x113.854mm -- kind of. If we believe the Sony documentation, the pixels are 151x153um rectangles. After much hair-pulling and shouting "how is that possible!" I figured out that the current version of the Reader software is configured with identical horizontal and vertical dot pitch. It thus treats the pixels as 151x151um squares. So the usable screen area is actually 115.362 physical millimeters, but only 113.854 "logical" millimeters.

The attach PDFs each contain two pages filled with lines -- the first horizontal and the second vertical. Each line is 302um thick and separated by 302um of space from the next line. When the PDF page size exactly matches the rendered screen size, each line and blank space occupies exactly 2 pixels. The PDF for a 584x754 pixel display renders correctly, while the ones which stretch 1 pixel farther in either direction show scaling artifacts. Hence 88.184x113.854mm.

Enjoy!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf dimen-584x754.pdf (2.9 KB, 1369 views)
File Type: pdf dimen-584x755.pdf (2.9 KB, 891 views)
File Type: pdf dimen-585x754.pdf (2.9 KB, 884 views)
llasram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 09:15 PM   #34
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible
BTW sorry about the wescott name. It's a generic brand here for an ajustable wrench or ajustable 'spanner' for our 'over pond' friends.
OK, we also call that a "Monkey Wrench" in parts of the US.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 09:35 PM   #35
NormB
Definately Senior
NormB began at the beginning.

Device: eBookman,Dell Axim,PRS-500
Somewhere in the past I was researching the background of the adjustable wrench and as I remember it was originally designed by an Englishman named "Monke"; hence the name monkey.
NormB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2007, 10:16 PM   #36
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I've always called them 'crescent' wrenches.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 05:15 AM   #37
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by llasram
Ask and ye shall receive: 88.184x113.854mm -- kind of. Enjoy!
Excellent. Thank you!
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 02:53 PM   #38
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
I followed instructions in the pdf file on the first page of this topic and I made a nice pdf from doc. I call this doc file also a valid doc file because I could turn it into RTF that the reader can read.
Then I decided to convert another PDF into sony pdf. First of all I converted pdf into doc then proceed as in a previous example. However, something is wrong with doc file that I get after convertion. I also cannot make RTF file from this doc. Connect would not transfer it to reader, it would hang. When I try to set margins in Word for this doc(as described in the instruction and worked for a valid doc file) it says that the margings I set up are too close to something or too small I don't remember. I call this doc file - invalid file, and I think the problem lies within PDF->DOC convertion. I have used different applications for it. I think it is not a problem. Just this pdf file is a bit odd.
My question is, whether I can edit in Word this invalid doc file so, that I can make a nice pdf?
Please do not suggest BD and similar application that loose text formatting during conversion, i.e. they convert PDF into simple TXT before they make another file. TXT loses any rich text formatting like italic styles.
So, I would like to edit in Word the invalid doc file which manges to retain all the nicities of PDF.
Is it possible?

Gosh, I hope I explained myself clear enough...

Last edited by astra; 02-12-2007 at 02:57 PM.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 04:07 PM   #39
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
ABBYY Fine Reader and ABBYY PDF Transformer are two programs that retain formatting very well. I often use ABC Amber PDF Converter from www.processtext.com because the original PDF was based on a letter or A4 size and the Sony Reader screen is somewhat smaller. I will then edit the document in MS Word or OpenOffice (or even Notepad) depending on the final use of the text.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 04:38 PM   #40
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood
ABBYY Fine Reader and ABBYY PDF Transformer are two programs that retain formatting very well. I often use ABC Amber PDF Converter from www.processtext.com because the original PDF was based on a letter or A4 size and the Sony Reader screen is somewhat smaller. I will then edit the document in MS Word or OpenOffice (or even Notepad) depending on the final use of the text.
Tried both ABBYY Fine Reader and ABBYY PDF Transformer. They produce this weird doc file that I cannot format accordingly to instructions to make sony pdf or cannot make a valid RTF as I usually do it, i.e. select all, open Word pad, paste, check that it is Arial, Western then save. I cannot say it is the only pdf file that I have this problem with. I had a few other pdfs as well. Something happens during converting. On PC it looks perfect. However, some errors or unusual formatting occurs and I thought maybe someone knows what sort of formatting I can do in MS Word in order to repair it.

P.S. it is not a problem of my PC, I have tried it on another PC, the same results.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 03:30 AM   #41
Cheryllion
Cheryllion began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300
How do I give Mark Twain the credit ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffball View Post
If people haven't already got a copy, I can recommend OpenOffice.org, and not just for creating PDFs.
Hi! I've been using OpenOffice to create a PDF for my Reader and am having some good results (I just measured my screen and used those exact measurements to create my page). This may seem like a silly question, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to change the "author" from my name (which must be entered automatically somewhere, but I can't figure out where) to the actual author (in this case, Mark Twain)

Also, I set up the document to the correct size and used 10-pt fonts to start with. On the Reader, when I up-size to "Medium" the text actually looks smaller ("Large" does get bigger). Have you had this problem?
Cheryllion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 04:38 AM   #42
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Welcome to MR, Cheryllion.

This thread hasn't be posted to for 3 years. If you are looking to read Mark Twain books or any books that are Public Domain, our MR Library, feedbooks, manybooks, and Project Gutenburg has them all for free and already formatted for your Reader. Just download lrf or epub formats. Here is a link to the Mark Twain available here on MR.

Last edited by dreams; 05-07-2010 at 02:56 PM. Reason: fix MR link
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 05:14 PM   #43
bamboozled
bamboozled began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Compaq PPC
This guide has been the best for getting my docs to my new PRS-300. Using MS Word or OOo writer and Bullzip (instead of Acrobat). Works like a charm.
bamboozled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 08:49 AM   #44
pinenut
pinenut began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamboozled View Post
This guide has been the best for getting my docs to my new PRS-300. Using MS Word or OOo writer and Bullzip (instead of Acrobat). Works like a charm.
Thank you for sharing the info about Bullzip.
When you use Bullzip, what paper size do you select?
pinenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 09:06 AM   #45
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryllion View Post
Hi! I've been using OpenOffice to create a PDF for my Reader and am having some good results (I just measured my screen and used those exact measurements to create my page). This may seem like a silly question, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to change the "author" from my name (which must be entered automatically somewhere, but I can't figure out where) to the actual author (in this case, Mark Twain)

Also, I set up the document to the correct size and used 10-pt fonts to start with. On the Reader, when I up-size to "Medium" the text actually looks smaller ("Large" does get bigger). Have you had this problem?
OpenOffice does not allow you to change all metadata. As you remarked, it keeps your name, even if it's about Mark Twain's book. There are a number of small programs that can do that for you; BECYPDFMeta edit is one of them.
http://www.becyhome.de/becypdfmetaed...iption_eng.htm
Works also for Linux using Wine.

I use a 12 pt font for good viewing resultats (Times New Roman). Of course, it also depends of your choice of font. For an epub, i also add an "interligne" of 120% (sorry English word missing here), which means about 22 lines in a page.

Last edited by roger64; 05-07-2010 at 09:09 AM.
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote