Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-20-2012, 10:02 AM   #1
djg
djg began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4, Powerbook 902
Calibre binary install on Ubuntu 12.04 without root rights

Hello there,

I'm trying to install the 0.8.60 version of Calibre as a regular user on Linux, i. e. into my home directory, with:

python -c "import sys; py3 = sys.version_info[0] > 2; u = __import__('urllib.request' if py3 else 'urllib', fromlist=1); exec(u.urlopen('http://status.calibre-ebook.com/linux_installer').read()); main(install_dir='/home/dirk/')"

However the installer insists on writing to /opt

So, how can I install calibre without root rights?

-- Dirk
djg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 10:16 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Welcome to Mobileread.

The directions from the linux calibre download page uses sudo as a prefix to the install line. Are you following the directions on that page?

Moderator Notice
Moved the thread to general calibre forum. The development forum is not the place to ask general questions about installation. Please read the "PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING - The purpose of this subforum" sticky post from the top of the Development forum.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 07-20-2012 at 10:24 AM.
DoctorOhh is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2012, 10:23 AM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by djg View Post
Hello there,

I'm trying to install the 0.8.60 version of Calibre as a regular user on Linux, i. e. into my home directory, with:

python -c "import sys; py3 = sys.version_info[0] > 2; u = __import__('urllib.request' if py3 else 'urllib', fromlist=1); exec(u.urlopen('http://status.calibre-ebook.com/linux_installer').read()); main(install_dir='/home/dirk/')"

However the installer insists on writing to /opt

So, how can I install calibre without root rights?

-- Dirk
No it does NOT.
The second prompt is asking you to confirm the default by typing Y.

Did you try 'N' ?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 09:16 AM   #4
Daniel_09
Daniel_09 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
That's interesting. I wanted to install Calibre into "/opt/Calibre". However, the installer wrote all files into my home folder.

It seems that the installer takes the home directory if it has no root access.

Edit: Oh, I just saw that the command on the Calibre page is with sudo.

Last edited by Daniel_09; 07-21-2012 at 09:20 AM.
Daniel_09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 09:42 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel_09 View Post
That's interesting. I wanted to install Calibre into "/opt/Calibre". However, the installer wrote all files into my home folder.

It seems that the installer takes the home directory if it has no root access.

Edit: Oh, I just saw that the command on the Calibre page is with sudo.
I had assumed you don't have root rights even WITH sudo, which was why you asked the question.
Advert
Old 07-23-2012, 03:27 AM   #6
djg

Yes, I cannot use sudo on that machine - I don't have elevated rights there.

Will try again and report back.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:43 AM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by djg View Post
Yes, I cannot use sudo on that machine - I don't have elevated rights there.

Will try again and report back.
Yon need to pick a folder where You will have execute rights, not just read-write
Old 07-27-2012, 09:29 AM   #8
djg

Ah well, my path was incorrect (unusual username)

This command works like a charm:

python -c "import sys; py3 = sys.version_info[0] > 2; u = __import__('urllib.request' if py3 else 'urllib', fromlist=1); exec(u.urlopen('http://status.calibre-ebook.com/linux_installer').read()); main(install_dir='/home/djg/nobackup/calibre')"

Thanks a lot!