Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Announcements

Notices

Old 03-12-2009, 11:56 AM   #31
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wario View Post
I think it fair for Amazon just to request that. If was Sony they just send their legal team down, even if they can't win,...
The DMCA notice was sent by their legal representative.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 12:00 PM   #32
Wario
Connoisseur
Wario began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
The DMCA notice was sent by their legal representative.
aah , in that case they using a good move from them, bad news for every one else.
Wario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 12:02 PM   #33
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
Exactly. And they only pointed at kindlepid.py in the notice.
I say, just rename the thing to Freedom-of-choice.py!

I've seen this before, with Gemstar ebooks! It was a closed system; only allowed you to read ebooks downloaded from THEIR servers (and of course purchased from them). They went so far as to send out firmware updates that closed any loopholes that threatened their closed-system. They wanted to prevent ANY personal content from being read on their devices, REB1100, REB1200, and GEB1150 (aka EBW1150).

However, people don't like being restricted or told what they can or cannot read and how to go about it!

Gemstar failed miserably, but for other reasons too. Is history set to repeat itself....
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 12:04 PM   #34
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
I am not a happy pandaborg cat.

Alex, I am sorry they are being such bastichess about this.

However, I am happy to see you taking the high road and would encourage everone to follow his example and not endanger this site we love so much by posting any link or directions.

The books i can do without........this site?.....eh, maybe not so much.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 12:05 PM   #35
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
And I thought that all the script does is allow people to purchase Mobipocket DRM ebooks (A company that Amazon owns). Doesn't it just allow people to use the Kindle like I use my Cybook? ... and it violates the DMCA?

Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 12:06 PM   #36
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
J
My suggestion is that anyone who has a K2, return it since it's less then 30-days

Seriously considering it right now (not just because of this).

However I'm not sure what I'd replace it with.

Last edited by AnemicOak; 03-12-2009 at 12:11 PM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 12:16 PM   #37
wayrad
Fanatic
wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HTC One M8
Thank goodness I didn't win the Kindle giveaway!
wayrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 12:17 PM   #38
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
I'm actually surprised they would do this. It seems like a clear admission that they are using DRM for anti-competitive practices. Wouldn't it put them at risk of the American antitrust laws?
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 12:18 PM   #39
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barcey View Post
I'm actually surprised they would do this. It seems like a clear admission that they are using DRM for anti-competitive practices. Wouldn't it put them at risk of the American antitrust laws?
that is a good question, i think a lot of us would be interested in the answer.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 12:19 PM   #40
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barcey View Post
I can only assume, but since they used the DMCA, they probably dully stated that kindlepid.py is a tool to circumvent DRM.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 12:22 PM   #41
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Lexmark used the DMCA to sue aftermarket ink suppliers. Same reasoning (the aftermaket ink seller broke the DRM of the ink system), same result (customer must buy expensive ink from Lexmark alone).
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 12:30 PM   #42
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I will not be returning my K2 or selling my K1, I still love the Kindle and I will continue to purchase Kindle books.

Will I buy K3? Probably not. Will I continue to be an unpaid salesperson for the Kindle? No. Will I continue to help other Kindle owners? Yes, as much as I possibly can.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 12:32 PM   #43
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
I suspect this has more to the with it's usage for iPod/iPhone books, and getting them at deep discounts over Mobipocket prices, and then using them on any Mobipocket enabled device.

They didn't care about the script until the iPod app came out. At the same time, they started to remove the serial number from the "My Kindle" page. I don't think this is a coincidence.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 12:36 PM   #44
kcarscadden
Zealot
kcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavens

Device: iPad Air 5, Samsung Galaxy S20 FE
Lexmark lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW View Post
Lexmark used the DMCA to sue aftermarket ink suppliers. Same reasoning (the aftermaket ink seller broke the DRM of the ink system), same result (customer must buy expensive ink from Lexmark alone).
Actually, Lexmark lost this case:

http://arstechnica.com/old/content/2005/02/4636.ars
kcarscadden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 12:38 PM   #45
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B. View Post
I suspect this has more to the with it's usage for iPod/iPhone books, and getting them at deep discounts over Mobipocket prices, and then using them on any Mobipocket enabled device.

They didn't care about the script until the iPod app came out. At the same time, they started to remove the serial number from the "My Kindle" page. I don't think this is a coincidence.
I think that is the reason also and the reason only kindlepid is mentioned.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote