Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

View Poll Results: Will e-readers make your library obsolete?
Yes, happily so. It's called progress. 178 60.14%
Yes, unfortunately. The trend is unavoidable. 23 7.77%
No, I'd always miss getting newsprint on my fingers. 95 32.09%
Voters: 296. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-17-2009, 09:10 AM   #1
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Will e-book readers make your library obsolete?

Bloomberg columnist David Pauly is contemplating the potential effects the Kindle might have on the future of home libraries. And the future ain't looking good (if you ask David).

Quote:
When my wife and I made our house bigger several years ago, I pampered myself and reserved one of the new rooms for books. The library cost about as much as our new kitchen, so it was an indulgence.
Quote:
With the advent of digital books, I’m afraid people will start asking me why I don’t just download everything we have on our shelves onto the Kindle -- Amazon has 230,000 digital titles available -- and convert the library into another bedroom for the grandkids?
Quote:
It’s just a bit of progress I can do without. I’m convinced I can hear Johann Gutenberg rolling over in his grave.
So I started a new poll. Do you think an e-book reader might at one point replace your library at home (or perhaps did it already)? If yes, would you be worried?
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 09:11 AM   #2
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Hell no. Now I have more room to display my collectible books
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 09:16 AM   #3
GlennD
Wizard
GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS350, iPhone, iPad
Gutenberg wanted to make knowledge and information available to the masses, not to make indulgent showcase libraries for the rich. I think he'd be thrilled with e-books, not rolling in his grave.
GlennD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 09:21 AM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
How about

"NO, e-books and paper books can co-exist beautifully"?

That would be my vote. I don't get newsprint on my fingers, so I wasn't able to vote.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 09:27 AM   #5
pitcher23
Zealot
pitcher23 began at the beginning.

I rarely read the same book twice unless it is a reference or "how to book". I would rather use the extra space for something else and keep my books on the storage medium of my choice.
pitcher23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 09:36 AM   #6
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PEZ, Color Libre, 2@Sony T1, Onyx i62HD
Red face No room for a library

Unfortunately, I don't have the luxury of a separate room for my books. They are stuck all over the house and basement. I started transferring my favorite, well read paperbacks to electronic books about a decade ago before "readers" were even thought of.

Finally, with the settling down of formats, though there are still too many, I've even bought a couple of ebooks. (Making sure I could convert them to my format of choice, of course.)

I just don't have room for any more paperbacks. I've even boxed up ones I don't want anymore to give away, but couldn't quite let them out of my house.

I LOVE BOOKS!
AJ Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 09:41 AM   #7
PhishStyx
The me that I am
PhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1 & DR 1000s
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
How about

That would be my vote. I don't get newsprint on my fingers, so I wasn't able to vote.
I agree with you. I'm just fine having both e-books and my roomful of paper books, nor am I troubled with newsprint.

Paper and electronic formats are not mutually exclusive.
PhishStyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 09:45 AM   #8
zerospinboson
"Assume a can opener..."
zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad v2, DR1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
How about

thirded.

I'll be happy to own a few duplicates, even (like my Everyman's [pevear&volokh] translations of Dostoevsky's works), or Don Quijote, even while owning most of my stuff in pdf/whatever format.

Last edited by zerospinboson; 02-17-2009 at 09:46 AM. Reason: thirded*
zerospinboson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 09:45 AM   #9
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
Will e-readers make your library obsolete?
I'd say just the opposite. I now have a library of wonderful classics (thank you, Mobileread) that I would not have if it weren't for my ereader. Even at $2 a book from used bookstores, I was not going to a mass a library of classics. With my ereader it cost me nothing for these classics.

I can now carry a library (around 1,000 books) in the palm of my hand, and that same device has access to over a quarter of a million books. I couldn't be happier if my butt was a flashlight.

Note: library of paper books or digital books makes no difference to me (actually, with a couple of exceptions, I'd prefer digital).

Last edited by Daithi; 02-17-2009 at 09:58 AM.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 10:00 AM   #10
Abelturd
Little Fuzzy Soldier
Abelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toys

Device: cybook gen3, htc hero, ipaq 214
Just think of all the trees we're saving in this way. Mother Earth has got to love MobileRead and ebooks as such. Haven't you noticed how your backyard garden is thriving? Now you know what to chalk it up to.
And YES, ebooks are the future and paper will shortly be the history.
Abelturd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 10:08 AM   #11
halljames
Zealot
halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Apple iPad
In a very crampt house, 1 less bookcase will be a bonus.
halljames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 10:11 AM   #12
Harry001
Addict
Harry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enough

Device: palmone lifedrive+sonyreader 505+NookColor+HPTouchpad \32GB+NookSimple
I have to move around a lot and sometimes it's not a good climate for books (especially south-east asia). Since i live only three to four years in one country, i have most of my books in climate controlled storage in Germany. I don't like that, because also all my family-pictures are in storage, too.
I like reding with my e-readers, but i miss my good old books.
just my 2 ct.

take care
harry
Harry001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 10:14 AM   #13
pcmedic
Enthusiast
pcmedic began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505
I don't know if my ebook reader will ever completely replace books for me (although I may change my mind after mine arrives late this week), but the advance in technology is wonderful. For a few hundred bucks, almost anyone can have an entire library at their fingertips. Not to mention all the happy trees.

David S.
pcmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 10:19 AM   #14
kenmark
Addict
kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitcher23 View Post
I rarely read the same book twice unless it is a reference or "how to book". I would rather use the extra space for something else and keep my books on the storage medium of my choice.
Except when I'm broke.
kenmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 10:20 AM   #15
Tattncat
Bookworm
Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet, Samsung Galaxy Tab3, Sony PRS700, Sony PRS505
No, conflict here. Just more books for me to read. I was running out of bookshelf room. Now, I have donated a lot of them to my local library. I am using the shelf space for mu collectable keepers.
Tattncat is offline   Reply With Quote