Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-14-2010, 01:48 PM   #1
tulsa
Zealot
tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2, Sony PRS 900
Thumbs up Just Read "Name of the Wind"

Just got through reading Patrick Rothfuss' debut novel "The Name of the Wind."
I liked it so much, I've been recommending it to all my friends and family.

Patrick's book was the first fantasy book that I actually liked.
I can't wait for the rest of them to come out.

Anyway, while I'm waiting for the sequels, can anybody recommend any free books similar to this one that I can read?

thx
tulsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 01:55 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I keep meaning to read this, I've got it as an ebook and I have a HC he signed back when it first came out but haven't managed it yet.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2010, 01:56 PM   #3
tulsa
Zealot
tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Once you start it, you won't be able to put it down!
Old 05-14-2010, 07:48 PM   #4
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
I agree, it is really quite good. I look forward to reading the rest when they come out. Unfortunately, the author appears to be one of those authors who takes a couple of years per book, rather than an author who generates a couple of books per year.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 07:53 PM   #5
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
I agree, it is really quite good. I look forward to reading the rest when they come out. Unfortunately, the author appears to be one of those authors who takes a couple of years per book, rather than an author who generates a couple of books per year.
That may make me hold off for a while. As much as I like George RR Martin's series waiting so long between books is tough, I don't know if I want to get into another series if it looks like it's going to have long waits like that.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2010, 10:21 PM   #6
SirBC
Connoisseur
SirBC is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulsa View Post
Anyway, while I'm waiting for the sequels, can anybody recommend any free books similar to this one that I can read?

thx
Rothfus promised us that all three of the books were written when he submitted them to his publisher. That didn't turn out so well...

It's not free (only $6), but it's on par (I'd even rate it higher than The Name of the Wind). And the books are stand alone.

The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch

Last edited by SirBC; 05-14-2010 at 10:25 PM.
SirBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 12:07 AM   #7
tulsa
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBC View Post
Rothfus promised us that all three of the books were written when he submitted them to his publisher. That didn't turn out so well...

It's not free (only $6), but it's on par (I'd even rate it higher than The Name of the Wind). And the books are stand alone.

The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch
That looks pretty good. Thx.. I'll go get it. That is pretty cheap, too!
Old 05-15-2010, 11:40 AM   #8
Kemp
Zealot
Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Wise Man's Fear (book 2) is set for release in March of 2011.

Gonna be a long wait...
Kemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 03:29 PM   #9
tulsa
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemp View Post
Wise Man's Fear (book 2) is set for release in March of 2011.

Gonna be a long wait...
ugg... March 2011??!!
dang, I wonder what the hold up is.... By the time that rolls around, I'll have to read Name of the Wind again!
Old 02-25-2024, 10:46 PM   #10
SirBC
Connoisseur
SirBC is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle
Oh man, this didn't age well. Here we are in 2024 and Wise Man's Fear came out 11 years ago (!) and book 3 is nowhere to be seen.
SirBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2024, 05:54 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBC View Post
Oh man, this didn't age well. Here we are in 2024 and Wise Man's Fear came out 11 years ago (!) and book 3 is nowhere to be seen.
The series is overrated.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ebooks, fantasy, name of the wind, patick rothfuss