Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-23-2012, 03:10 PM   #1
diremommy
Zealot
diremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Zenpad S 8, iPad mini 2
Question about Rooting Nook ST

I have a Nook Simple Touch, and I like it fine, except for a couple of little things- the sorting of the books, and page turning.

I was wondering if rooting the Touch would bring me a better way to organize my library, and if there was a way to customize the touch screen page turn buttons, so tapping the left side of the screen could also page forward, when I'm lying on my right side in bed.

I have no interest in doing anything on my Nook but reading, no interest in games and whatnot. It would be nice to be able to read other formats as well, but the thing I'm the most interested in is helping me to sort out my books. I have tried the shelves option, but it's so time consuming to add new books to the shelves, and since I side load most of my books, they have a tendency to fall off the shelves with the least provocation.

Oh one more question- since I have no wi-fi right now in my home, is rooting even doable, or am I stuck before I even get to the starting gate?
diremommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 07:55 PM   #2
Chikwako
Reader EZ
Chikwako has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chikwako has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chikwako has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: √NC, √NST, Sero Pro
I completely avoided the library organization issue by loading 20 books at the time. Once I read them, I dump them and load another 20, and so on. Is the best way I have found so far. If I have too many books it gets too messy for me.

The software I use for reading in my rooted Touch is Fbreader. I've used others but sometimes in spite of much setting up, foreign characters don't show well. FBreader is pretty simple to set up, and reads most if not all formats.

You don't need internet access to root your Touch, but you do need it to download all the files to a computer so you can copy them in an usd card.

I hope it helps.
Chikwako is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2013, 05:17 PM   #3
jjansen
J
jjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: SONY PRS 505/300, iRex DR800SG, Nook
I am not sure if you still want an answer to your original question but here it is. Even late I had to add my two cents worth because you questions show that you are looking for exactly what I was looking for.

I rooted my Nook STR simply so that I could get Cool Reader. With Cool Reader I get the two things that you were looking for. I have about 2500 books on my Nook. I load them all from Calibre. With Cool Reader I can see lists of series, authors, tags and more. I can also redefine the screen touch points which was very important to me. Sometimes I use my left hand for my ereader and sometimes my right. I have defined all the left and right sides of the screen as page forward when I touch any of those areas. I think I defined one top corner for page back. The other day I was sitting on a train from the airport holding my luggage with one hand and my Nook with the other. I didn't have a choice of hands (my luggage was in the aisle on my right side). With my left hand I could hold the book and turn the page with my thumb. It was extremely convenient. I am very happy with both the organization and the ability to define the screen. There are also buttons to use for when you want. Of course, what makes all this possible is starting with Calibre which is the most outstanding product for ereading of all.
jjansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 06:37 PM   #4
fencepost
fencepost will become famous soon enoughfencepost will become famous soon enoughfencepost will become famous soon enoughfencepost will become famous soon enoughfencepost will become famous soon enoughfencepost will become famous soon enough

Device: Samsung Vibrant (Android)
One additional thing you can do with CoolReader is define long-hold on an area to load the table of contents. This is very handy particularly for serials where you want to jump to newly - downloaded chapters.
fencepost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 05:21 PM   #5
Kaysclie
Addict
Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Forma, Aura One,Ipad Pro 10.5, Oasis 3
Which version of cool reader works on the rooted nook simple touch with glow light?
Kaysclie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2013, 09:23 PM   #6
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaysclie View Post
Which version of cool reader works on the rooted nook simple touch with glow light?
I think they all work.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote