Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-11-2011, 02:24 PM   #1
Tim G
Tim G began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo WiFi
Upgrade or not?

I've had my Sony PRS-300 for over a year now, and I really do enjoy it. Since I bought it (at $200) prices on other ereaders with more storage and built in wifi have come down drastically. I'm no where near the storage limit on my Sony, and I really don't mind the USB hook up to transfer books. Yet I'm still wrestling with the temptation to fork over more money on a fancy new reader. (the power of advertising...)
I've had my eye on the Kobo w/ wifi since it came out, and have played with it in Borders numerous times. I'm not really into the Kindle or Nook because I don't want to be limited to only 1 site to download from.

So my question is; any Sony people out there moved on to another reader?
-or-
Anyone see any legitimate reason to own two readers?

Thanks for helping me with my indecisiveness!
Tim G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 02:29 PM   #2
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Look at the new models on sonystyle and read about all of the features noting which ones they have added to the newest models. Next you need to decide, and no one can answer this but you, are those new additions worth the dollars that you will spend, in other words are they worth it to you. I have a Libra Pro black and white and Aluratek has come out with a color version and I am doing the same thing - how much is the color screen worth to me.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2011, 03:19 PM   #3
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim G View Post
I've had my Sony PRS-300 for over a year now, and I really do enjoy it. Since I bought it (at $200) prices on other ereaders with more storage and built in wifi have come down drastically. I'm no where near the storage limit on my Sony, and I really don't mind the USB hook up to transfer books. Yet I'm still wrestling with the temptation to fork over more money on a fancy new reader. (the power of advertising...)
I've had my eye on the Kobo w/ wifi since it came out, and have played with it in Borders numerous times. I'm not really into the Kindle or Nook because I don't want to be limited to only 1 site to download from.

-or-

You are not limited to one store for either the Kindle or the Nook. The Nook prides itself on being an EPub reader that can read books from Sony and Kobo as well as BN.

Both the Kindle and the Nook can buy books from independent book stores.

Finally, all of the bookstores are open to people who are willing to strip DRM and convert books.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 04:11 PM   #4
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Oh, I do see one legitimate reason to own two readers. Buy a Sony-PRS 950, it is bigger (7""), very lightweight, has wifi and 3G, a bigger storage, a touchscreen that does not glare and is just beautiful. So you have one reader for on the go and one to snuggle up with at home.

This is going to be my selfjustification anyway.
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 02:54 PM   #5
brbubba
Connoisseur
brbubba will become famous soon enoughbrbubba will become famous soon enoughbrbubba will become famous soon enoughbrbubba will become famous soon enoughbrbubba will become famous soon enoughbrbubba will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS350
Wait for 6 months at least when all the CES devices hit shelves. At the very least it should drive prices down on cheaper ereaders.

And of course you know the old saying, if it's not broke, don't fix it!
brbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2011, 04:02 PM   #6
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
I've got three ereaders that I use now (I don't count the eBookman because that is basically a historical relic). As things have shaken out, one ereader is on my nightstand (Aluratek Libre), one ereader is on my coffee table (Pandigital Novel) and one ereader usually is in my pocketbook (Sony PRS-350). I've got books in progress on all three. The Aluratek and the Sony are the ones I usually read on. The Sony is lighter and thinner so it is more comfortable in that regard, but its thin page turn buttons are somewhat of a pain, both literally and figuratively; sometimes the way I hold the ereader doesn't make the touch screen as easy to use as the buttons. The Aluratek is thicker but page turns are more convenient for me. So I haven't settled on one device as my primary one, and I don't think that that's going to happen.

I have modded my Pandigital ereader into a full Android tablet, so I often use it in that guise, rather than as an ereader (I really don't like reading for an extended time on an LCD screen). One of these days I will get an iPad - probably when the next version of it comes out - just because the screen image is so much clearer and because everyone and her brother writes apps for it; I'd like to experience a universal device for a change, instead of my usual niche-market ones. I am seriously considering getting a Sony PRS-950; I want a big-screen e-ink reader. Really, though, I think that I have just become an ereader junkie; I'll probably be saving up to buy a new one every now and then as a new toy to play with, and also, with my eyes, because I find the ability to be able to increase the font whenever I need to a godsend. I've got artificial lenses in both eyes (what a weird thing to say, when you really think about it) and my focal points are just not good anymore for small fonts in printed books.

Last edited by Xanthe; 01-12-2011 at 04:06 PM.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 04:32 PM   #7
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim G View Post
-or-

Wait!

I'd definitely recommend waiting. It seems that after several years of eInk being the only game in town, new low-power, bi-stable, reflective display might actually make an appearance in ebook readers this year.

The display technology I'm most looking forward to is Mirasol
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 05:35 PM   #8
HistoryWes
Teacher/Novelist
HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR, iPad
I replaced my Sony with an iPad (let the chorus of boos begin). I enjoy the fact that it is so versatile. I read blogs and email, watch movies, and listen to music from my bluetooth headphones while the iPad sits on the desk acting as a picture frame. I also enjoy being able to easily get books with the iBooks, Kindle, Kobo, and Bluefire (for Sony Books) apps.

On the other hand, reader prices are getting so low. If they go below $100, I'll get one just to carry around with me. I'm always worried about my iPad getting stolen or broken.
HistoryWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 05:44 PM   #9
brbubba
Connoisseur
brbubba will become famous soon enoughbrbubba will become famous soon enoughbrbubba will become famous soon enoughbrbubba will become famous soon enoughbrbubba will become famous soon enoughbrbubba will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS350
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoryWes View Post
I replaced my Sony with an iPad (let the chorus of boos begin). I enjoy the fact that it is so versatile. I read blogs and email, watch movies, and listen to music from my bluetooth headphones while the iPad sits on the desk acting as a picture frame. I also enjoy being able to easily get books with the iBooks, Kindle, Kobo, and Bluefire (for Sony Books) apps.

On the other hand, reader prices are getting so low. If they go below $100, I'll get one just to carry around with me. I'm always worried about my iPad getting stolen or broken.
I think that's becoming the ideal choice for home use and if iPad 2 gets a retina display it's a no brainer if you can afford it. I still think the iPad price point is way too high, but people are buying them like crazy.
brbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 11:40 PM   #10
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Tim, since you've got no complaints with the status quo, I would definitely wait six months.

Prices will come down, and new products will be released.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 09:41 AM   #11
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoryWes View Post

You should use the device that best suits you. I don't need the functionality of the IPad so I don't have an IPad. I love my DXG, it works for me. Enjoy what you enjoy.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 09:47 AM   #12
jessicalynn
Zealot
jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Nook First Gen (broken), iPad, Kindle Touch SO
For me the choice to upgrade would have a lot to do with my needs and my budget. so for you I would say, can you afford it? If an extra 150 dollars spent isn't a big deal to you, then why not? I don't see anything wrong with having 2 e-readers. Some people on here have 4 or more!
jessicalynn is offline   Reply With Quote