Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-31-2009, 02:56 PM   #1
AgentBEATS
Connoisseur
AgentBEATS began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Nintendo DS, HTC Desire
How You Hold A Book When Reading

I've never really given much though to it, but now that I've begun searching for a E-Reader that would fit my needs it's come to mind that how you hold a book equates to comfort of reading.

I'm right handed, but I prefer holding whatever I read in my left hand. While I assume this is probably common, from what I've seen a majority of E-Readers seem to accommodate for the right hand more. Obviously a lot of E-Readers are made to so it can be used from the right or left hand, but from what I've seen it would not be so comfortable for me to read from them.

My style of reading I guess you could call it, would be holding the book from the bottom with my left hand and with an E-Reader device, I would want to do the same. While with a real book I would occasionally use my right hand to turn the page, with an E-Reader it would be nice to be able to change the page comfortably from the position I'm holding it.

So my point of this brings up 2 questions really. First, what device would fit my needs? This is very non-specific, I'm just wanting something comfortable to hold and change page from my left hand. Second, what is your reading style and how did this equate to your E-Reader choice?
AgentBEATS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 03:20 PM   #2
geneven
Member Retired
geneven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.geneven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.geneven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.geneven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nokia N800, N810, Kindle 2
This is a very interesting topic. I typically read in bed, or couch. I am pretty nearsighted. When I read, I often remove my glasses and hold the reading material close to my face. It's not unusual for me to prop some pillows against a wall and put my head against them, holding EVEN A LAPTOP up in the air fairly close to my face while I lie on my back and read. I have often even typed messages on the keyboard in that position!

I also sit on the bed or couch as I am now, supported on one elbow, leaning over a laptop, even doing full ten-finger typing as I am now.

With my ebook reader, the Kindle 2, I read in the same positions, but holding the Kindle in the air is a lot easier than holding the laptop.

You can easily turn pages on the Kindle 2 from either side -- the only drawback is that the buttons on the right side have a selection for Next Page, but above that is a Home button. Usually to get back to the previous page you need to hit the Previous page button,which is only located on the left side of the device. The left side of the device also has a Next Page button.

So, sometimes when I want Previous Page, I accidentally hit the Home button on the right side, but that is an exceedingly easily corrected problem.

I would guess that though this is an interesting topic, it is easy to deal with most e-readers, and though one may have a tiny advantage over another, the big issues are things like quality of display or price of reading materials.
geneven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 03:36 PM   #3
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
I've posted these before, but I can't find the message. I have a Kindle 1 and like you, prefer to hold the book reader in my left hand so I can be doing something else (like eating) with my dominant hand. Here's my usual holding position & the slight move to tap the "Next Page" button.

The biggest change came with reading in bed because I was used to laying on my left side & holding the book over the top with my left hand, reaching over with the right hand to turn the page. It took a while, but I finally worked out a comfortable alternative for the eBook reader.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 03:37 AM   #4
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Much depends on the cover, I think, Beats. I got an 'easy i' leather fliptop for my PRS-505. Not only does it make the device free standing if you're reading while you eat, but a little leather loop at the back means it's easily supported by slipping two fingers of the left hand through that, leaving the thumb free to turn pages -- more comfortable than any paperback of hardback could possibly be. Ideal for single-handed reading, tough but soft-leather and it even smells like something you're not allowed to take out of the library. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 04:22 AM   #5
AgentBEATS
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
Much depends on the cover, I think, Beats. I got an 'easy i' leather fliptop for my PRS-505. Not only does it make the device free standing if you're reading while you eat, but a little leather loop at the back means it's easily supported by slipping two fingers of the left hand through that, leaving the thumb free to turn pages -- more comfortable than any paperback of hardback could possibly be. Ideal for single-handed reading, tough but soft-leather and it even smells like something you're not allowed to take out of the library. Neil
Hmm, I never quite thought about a cover as well. But that is a good piece of information to think about. I guess I have a lot more research to do before I pick what device I want to get. Not to mention actually getting the money for said device, but I'll skip the details.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 11-01-2009, 04:33 AM   #6
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
I read left-handed, like the OP, but I prefer to use my ebook readers without a cover - it adds too much weight. That is, if I'm out and about, I'll use a cover, but at home I just use a silicone skin.

Anyway, I've found the Kindle 2 to fit me best; the wide bezel makes it comfortable to hold. But you're canadian, so I guess it's not an option.

The Hanlin V3 (or Astak Reader) has buttons on the left that's also quite nice to use. It's also very light and easy to hold one-handed. It's a bit utilitarian of design, but overall quite nice.

The Sony 505's left back-and-forth button is also okay, but placed so far to the left that you end up holding the device more by your fingers and that can be a strain. It's definitely better in a cover. The buttons on the Sony 600 seems to be placed well for left-handed use and you can also swipe the touch screen - I've not tried one myself though.

The Cybook didn't work for me, because the button was placed to eth right. Impossible for me to reach when holding left-handed. And right-handed wasn't better, as I'd reach across the button (I have medium-large sized hands for a woman).
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 12:14 PM   #7
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
... With my ebook reader, the Kindle 2, I read in the same positions, but holding the Kindle in the air is a lot easier than holding the laptop.

You can easily turn pages on the Kindle 2 from either side -- the only drawback is that the buttons on the right side have a selection for Next Page, but above that is a Home button. Usually to get back to the previous page you need to hit the Previous page button,which is only located on the left side of the device. The left side of the device also has a Next Page button.

So, sometimes when I want Previous Page, I accidentally hit the Home button on the right side, but that is an exceedingly easily corrected problem ...
For the most part, I like the Kindle arrangement, but sometimes I also hit the wrong button. The Nook seems to have an even better way of doing things; with both sides having page forward buttons and above those, page back buttons. The home button appears to be located in the center of the touchscreen.

But the Nook is also an ounce heavier than the Kindle. This could "outweigh" the button advantage.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 05:37 PM   #8
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
I use one hand normally and just change hands at will. Per example if the buttons are more easy to use - left for the 505, right for the Cybook - or if I’m just tired, like reading laying back in bed or sofa.

Best regards,
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 02:41 AM   #9
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
I've always felt that the page-turn buttons on the 505 would be easier to use if they were slightly convex rather than slightly concave (though I do realise that this design point could be to reduce the risk of accidental page-turning). I was thinking of sticking little studs to them to raise their profile a little. Anyone tried this? Cheers. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 01:30 PM   #10
Storm27
Connoisseur
Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3S, android phone
Interesting question

I use my 3.75inch palm left handed and one handed, rotated to landscape view and use my left hand to tap the forward button - the unit weighs about 200g and is about at the limit of what I find comfortable in one hand.

I'd like to use an e-ink device in a similar manner, though possibly not rotated which is why I'lm looking at 5 inch devices. But I haven't got any certainty yet about whether the button lay out will work well for that.
Storm27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 02:05 PM   #11
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nexus 7 (2013), Galaxy S5 phone, Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
Take a look here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58792
These are three hand positions that work well on a jetBook.

Regards,
Jack Tingle
Jack Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 03:09 PM   #12
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
This is a huge issue when it comes to designing eReaders, actually.

With the iPhone, I switch hands alot when using it. What I love about Stanza is, they let you set the "page forward" tap to be not just left side, or right side, but BOTH (to go back a page, swipe works fine). I wonder if the other eBook readers ever bothered to test this stuff. Going to preferences to change the tap zone every time you switch hands to use something is just ridiculous.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 03:44 PM   #13
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
I've always felt that the page-turn buttons on the 505 would be easier to use if they were slightly convex rather than slightly concave (though I do realise that this design point could be to reduce the risk of accidental page-turning). I was thinking of sticking little studs to them to raise their profile a little. Anyone tried this? Cheers. Neil
I've never noticed they were concave - though since I've started to use a silicone skin, all buttons have been sort of concave. But perhaps you mean the back and forward buttons at the edge of the right side? I have not tried it, but I think a small stud to raise their profile is a brilliant idea. Now that I think about it, perhaps that's why I never used them much. They are just too hard to press comfortable if hold the 505 in your right hand, but a convex profile would help.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 03:59 PM   #14
Laine
Addict
Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, Voyage
I have a Hanlin V5 which has 3 ways of page turning - middle left, middle right and bottom. I vary which I use according to my position - sitting up, lying in bed on my left or rigt side.
That's one reason I find myself using the V5 more than my V3.
Laine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 08:34 PM   #15
AgentBEATS
Connoisseur

As many of you have mentioned, people vary how they hold a book/e-reader depending on the situation. While I've said that I primarily hold a book at the bottom with my left hand, of course it is true of me as well that I change where I hold it. But I find my primary use to be bottom left of a book, usually along the spine, with my left hand, so making me think that is how I would hold an e-reader. Which e-readers would accommodate to that best?