Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-01-2012, 06:32 PM   #1
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Minecraft. Kindle port. Discuss.

Okay now I reckon this is a doable thing.

Not maybe for the 3 and YES the color thing is an issue - maybe - we can do custom skins so maybe not.

Having seen Minecraft run on a phone with surely a slower processor than is currently sported in the faster kindles, I have no fear about actual processing capabilities.

The interface I have seen done as pure touchscreen also on the mobile version.

Part of the engine - well the path finding "modules" for example - is/are written in Lua, the rest - well let's have a look.

I'm not saying get this done today.
Just putting it on the board as a big milestone.

Problems? Thoughts? Cheerleading? Access to source code? Insider knowledge? Access to Notches personal database of awesomeness and he doesn't mind you sharing? Insert all and any of these below. Thanks.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 06:44 PM   #2
qlob
Official Lurker
qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3.4
Go for it. I would praise you forever and ever if you could get minecraft on the kindles.

You could ask Notch for source, but that might mean we'd have to work with mojang. We will probably have to use chunks of GM's code as well.

Just as a hint: mojang.com/notch/minecraft4k (or something like that)might be interesting to look at for our purposes. I think Notch would be more willing to give out Minecraft4K source than give out source from a game he makes money off of...
qlob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 06:52 PM   #3
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah the older free source might do the trick.

I was thinking more of something like: http://luacraft.com/ (hence my lua hints)

that would probably require less wheel reinventing and is already a working product - I know - I use it.

I own and have paid for every minecraft license ever requested of me, including the 4J port and dont feel messing around getting his LICENSED software onto the kindles is a big issue. You have to buy it to run it anyway.

But for testing yes we could run the older server code also.

Any further thoughts after these revelations?
Old 09-01-2012, 08:36 PM   #4
qlob
Official Lurker
qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
Yeah the older free source might do the trick.
I was thinking more of something like: http://luacraft.com/ (hence my lua hints)
that would probably require less wheel reinventing and is already a working product - I know - I use it.
I own and have paid for every minecraft license ever requested of me, including the 4J port and dont feel messing around getting his LICENSED software onto the kindles is a big issue. You have to buy it to run it anyway.
But for testing yes we could run the older server code also.
Any further thoughts after these revelations?
I only mentioned Minecraft4K as I thought size could be an issue here..... Maybe we should work towards MC4K as a Proof Of Concept? If we want to run it on the 3, (probably unlikely...) we would have to figure a way to control it without a touchscreen...

Interesting thoughts here..... If only I knew lua or java... sadly, I'm stuck with a very rudimentary knowledge of python...
Old 09-01-2012, 09:59 PM   #5
twobob

languages are languages. figure out the new syntax. figure out what they do that the last one you understood didn't. once you start to code with final intent rather than looking at the required structure you can transcend the fear about language.

eventually - assuming it can be done - you will get it done. in whatever language.

I have learned several languages and offshoots for no more than a single project and no deeper than I needed to dive. It's gets easier the more you learn. Most of my languages were managed MS languages however so don't translate well into the world of unix. So in one sense I am "starting again"

No doubt a lot like being multilingual. And being dumped in a completely unknown country. work it out or starve! lol.

That said every one you have to learn does eat up a lot of time.
So minimising the amount needed or using ones you are familiar with is obviously a plus. I too am a novice at Lua. I have rudimentary java skills at best. That's not going to stop me trying to port the app though.

Minecraft4K would require using Java AFAICT which as I say is not my strong point either. on the plus side it is implemented natively so perhaps its a decent place to start.

Any further thoughts - or example code to mash - warmly welcomed.
Old 09-01-2012, 10:02 PM   #6
twobob

IIRC Minecraft is written in Java but...
Quote:
On his Twitter account, Jens Bergensten noted that the Pocket Edition of Minecraft is written in C++ and not Java, due to iOS not being able to support Java
You see my thinking.

Quote:
On January 18, 2011, Persson announced in a blog post that Minecraft's web servers would be switching to being hosted solely on the Amazon Web Services (AWS) content delivery network. Notch stated in his personal blog that their old web host was having trouble and that Mojang would be switching to using AWS as their host for both Minecraft.net and Minecraft's web functions such as logging in
: )

Last edited by twobob; 09-01-2012 at 10:05 PM.
Old 09-02-2012, 12:56 AM   #7
twobob

This post might come in handy...

http://www.java-gaming.org/topics/mi...html#msg177585
Old 09-02-2012, 12:59 AM   #8
twobob

Assuming that we have the source, I guess the next step is just getting on with it.

I will look in to it.

Last edited by twobob; 09-02-2012 at 01:07 AM.
Old 09-02-2012, 12:59 AM   #9
twobob

and while we are at it we should really probably read up on the source of https://github.com/krispykrem/Infiniminer
Old 09-02-2012, 01:10 AM   #10
twobob

The M Pack data bundle at least is certainly public domain, as it was shared by the author.
Attached Files
File Type: gz M.pack.gz (2.0 KB, 219 views)
Old 09-03-2012, 04:02 PM   #11
twobob

okay so further to this then...

I guess we need to invoke GM's screen op and try to invoke some of the underlying code - also decide where to run it - a kindlet seems a likely place for jave...
Old 09-03-2012, 04:06 PM   #12
qlob
Official Lurker

Quote:
okay so further to this then...

I guess we need to invoke GM's screen op and try to invoke some of the underlying code - also decide where to run it - a kindlet seems a likely place for jave...
Kindlets are very similar to web applets from what I've seen, so it shouldn't be all that much work going to a kindlet i would think.
Old 09-03-2012, 05:47 PM   #13
twobob

Yeah I'll give it a go then.

spam{print (eggs =='cooked')? eggs+' eggs':'raw eggs' }
Old 09-03-2012, 08:23 PM   #14
qlob
Official Lurker

Quote:
Yeah I'll give it a go then.
spam{print (eggs =='cooked')? eggs+' eggs':'raw eggs' }
I see you found my signature. It's written in python, but is missing neccessary whitespace needed to run...
Old 09-03-2012, 08:33 PM   #15
twobob

I like my eggs ternary, plus a dash of pseudo-sauce

I should break out my java skills - such as they are - I suppose, and brush off this code...

Feel free to jump in and have a go

Tags
kindle, minecraft, port