Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-08-2006, 12:44 AM   #1
Vienna01
Old Dog Learns New Tricks
Vienna01 doesn't litterVienna01 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-500,PocketBook 301, Sony 650
When Does Reader Perform Formating of Books?

I have begun to use a SD memory card in My Sony Reader. I have used the Connect Reader program to load books onto the card. Almost all of my books are in the .rtf file format.

For some reason today Connect reader did not show the SD card among the left side of screen list of that includes Library, Reader, Collections,Drives on my XP Win PC, etc.

Afterwards I shut down Connect Reader and disconnected the Sony Reader. I removed the SD card from the Sony Reader while it was turned off and it was disconnected from my PC. I checked it. It was fine and hardly used much of the 1GB SD card. I then re-inserted the SD card into the reader. I turned the reader on...OK so far.

Now every time I select a book for viewing on the reader it spends some time "formatting" even when I change from S to Medium size, It again spends time formatting. Same with switch to Large size. It does it for every book listed THAT IS STORED ON THE SD CARD.( A little picture of a card is displayed to the right of each book listing.

I don't think it stopped and formatted when I first installed the SD card and used Connect Reader to copy books to the card.

It does not stop and format for books stork on the Reader's internal memory.

It would be nice if it did not stop to format for every book on the card is accessed or for which the size is changed. When DOES the Reader stop and format? Does it have some thing to do with removal and later re-insertion of the SD card?
Vienna01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 08:31 AM   #2
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Yeah! Is there a way to translate and save your documents in native format for faster reloading?
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2006, 09:03 AM   #3
tcv
Addict
tcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enough

Well, I'm curious: when you "load" a book from SD, is it copied to the device? Or is it read/written from the card?
tcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 02:24 PM   #4
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
It doesn't xfer from the card to the device, tcv, it uses the file in place.

@Vienna01: just to confirm, you are using an SD and not an MMC card (it has 9 contacts on the back, rather than 7)? I've noticed that it seems to forget what indexing it's done on an MMC, you see -- 'course it doesn't 'officially' support MMCs, so I figure oh, well.

But it ought to keep it on an SD card.

As to when it indexes ....

When loading through the Connect software onto a memory card the (much faster) PC does the indexing. It indexes the file (figuring out the pagination, basiacally) at all three sizes (S, M, & L). That's why there's no delay opening them on the Reader, or switching sizes.

If you load the file directly on the Card and put it in the Reader, then the Reader must do the indexing itself. It does it the first time each of the 3 sizes are accessed for each file.

That is to say, the first time you open the file, it opens in S, and it gets indexed. When you switch to the M size for the first time, it has to index that size, and when you go to L, you guessed it, it indexes again.

However, when you go back to S, it does not re-index that, as it already has the info, and you can switch through the 3 sizes as you like with no more delay than a normal page turn -- it only has to do all that thinking the first go-round.

With an SD card, I didn't think it had to re-do that indexing (for a file that'd already been indexed, not a new one added in the mean-time) if you just pulled the card and reinserted it, but that seems to be what you're saying it's doing to you -- re-indexing a file that had already been indexed before. Am I following that correctly?

Regarding the Connect software not showing the Card in the Reader, when that happens, I just disconnect the Reader and close/re-open Connect to see if that'll wake it up. Sometimes I have to reboot, but my home PC is a bit elderly.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 09:08 PM   #5
Vienna01
Old Dog Learns New Tricks
Vienna01 doesn't litterVienna01 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-500,PocketBook 301, Sony 650
Yes it is SD SD not MMC card & yes xfered directly

Sorryreply late-away far away
Yes I used SD card. And...Yes I might have dragged directly to SD card while in connect rather than transferring to library first them to card. Thanks for reminding me that reader takes visible time to format, my PC speeds process un-noticeably.
Vienna01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert