Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 05-10-2010, 09:43 AM   #1
Elvira
Enthusiast
Elvira has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Elvira has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Elvira has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Elvira has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Elvira has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle
Smashwords trouble..

I uploaded an ebook to Smashwords six weeks ago, and opted in to everything except for Kindle. Six weeks later, I cannot find the book in any ebook store. I checked Kobo books, the Sony reader store, the iBookstore, and Barnes and Noble.

I feel like the ebook has gone into a black hole, and there is no way for me to track its status. I’ve emailed both Kobo and Sony, but they are unable to offer help and simply direct me back to Smashwords.

Has anyone here used Smashwords successfully and had his or her book appear in the other, non-Amazon stores??
Elvira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 12:53 PM   #2
NickSpalding
Addict
NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Have you checked the distribution channels on your dashboard? If Smashwords haven't shipped your book off yet, they won't appear on the other sites. This can take ages for them to get round to apparently!
NickSpalding is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2010, 01:20 PM   #3
TC Beacham
Great Beach Reads!
TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
Yes, use your dashboard - and "distribution channel manager." My books have made it to other stores, but it's slow - at the store end, not smashwords end.

Last edited by TC Beacham; 05-10-2010 at 01:25 PM.
TC Beacham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 02:07 PM   #4
HistoryWes
Teacher/Novelist
HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR, iPad
It is REALLY slow getting books to other channels. Kobo and B&N are the fastest, but even they are slow. None of my books have shown up on Sony and it's been far longer than yours. Ibookstore is pretty fast, but there have been other issues, like correct pricing, that Smashwords is working on.

Be patient. They will eventually show up. The outside distribution systems are still new and they are still working out the kinks.
HistoryWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 02:38 PM   #5
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Be sure to get the ISBN while you are there. It's free, and required for most sellers before they will accept your book.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2010, 02:49 PM   #6
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
From what Mark Coker at Smashwords says, the delay is often down to stores moving the goalposts. Smashwords' operation is largely automated (apart from great personal service), so I can well believe this to be the case. Good luck and patience folks. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 05:58 PM   #7
Simon Wood
Addict
Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I wouldn't fret. Like some people have said. Check the distribution manager for updates. I've had books slated to go on Sony, etc. for six months. It's very slow.
Simon Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 08:22 PM   #8
nomesque
Snooty Bestselling Author
nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650
Yup, the distribution channels are still in development stage right now - it's quite a long road between Smashwords supplying a bunch of ebooks and a store getting them catalogued, tagged and formatted to their liking. As all three parties (authors, Smashwords and ebookstores) get used to what's required, the process will speed up.

FWIW, B&N took at least 2 months to get DEAD(ish) into their store correctly, and at least another month to get it categorised. iBookstore had it listed within a couple of weeks of distribution. It still hasn't turned up in the Sony or Kobo stores.

Rest assured, it will get through - eventually. But much patience is required at this early stage.
nomesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 08:36 PM   #9
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Tim has an Amazon distribution date of 5/19. We shall see...
Old 05-11-2010, 05:25 PM   #10
M T McGuire
Addict
M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I put one on at Christmas and it hasn't appeared on Amazon yet, I asked and they're in negotiation with Amazon right now and it's taking longer than they expected, B&N took a couple of months, Sony is still a no but Kobo, Apple and B&N are now all stocking it... I did the free Smashwords ISBN for these as they're short stories.

As Yoda would say... "Patience..." it does take a while.

Cheers

MTM
M T McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 11:13 AM   #11
WAPatterson
Enthusiast
WAPatterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WAPatterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WAPatterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WAPatterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WAPatterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WAPatterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WAPatterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WAPatterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WAPatterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WAPatterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WAPatterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HTC Touchpro 2 Smartphone
As an example for you. My book was publlished on 2/28/2010. approved on 3/01/10 and sent out on 4/2/10 or something like that.
It just appeared on B&N two days ago.
if you look deep enough smashwords does say it can take up to 8 weeks from shipping to appear on their site and I think it can take longer with formats like Sony.
It will appear and don't fret for sales figures either - those are posted quarterly from the book sites and sent 1 to 2 months after quarter end - then Smashwords has to process them.
It's a slow process but I've not found another one more transparent and honest about it out there.

I hope this helps.
WAPatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 08:43 AM   #12
dlmartin6
Debra L Martin
dlmartin6 doesn't litterdlmartin6 doesn't litter

I've had pretty much the same experience with my books as well. They showed up right away in the iBookstore, next came B&N. Nothing with Sony and Kobo yet though.

Patience is the key word here. They will show up eventually.

Deb
https://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/debralmartin
dlmartin6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 07:15 AM   #13
Vintage Season
Pulps and dime novels...
Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura/Kobo Aura One LE/iPad Air
What about experiences placing free ebooks into the distribution channels? "We Don't Plummet Out of the Sky Anymore" was published 6 April, approved 11 April (that was during their "Holy cow are we backlogged!" phase), then shipped to Barnes & Noble on 16 April and Apple's iBookstore on 17 April.

I was under the impression that it had already shown up in the iBookstore from the number of downloads I was seeing, but the other day I finally had the chance to look at a friend's iPad and discovered that it is apparently still not listed in Apple's catalog despite being five and a half weeks out. (Nor is it yet listed on Barnes & Noble's site, although I didn't really expect to see that one for at least a few weeks more.)

Will free ebooks actually be carried in the iBookstore? I was under the impression this would be the case, but re-reading the fine print seems to indicate that prices in the iBookstore must end in .99... which free does not.

One last question: At whatever point an ebook finally appears in the channels to which it has been distributed, will downloads via that channel also be reflected in the Smashwords dashboard, or will there be periodic/quarterly updates to let authors know how their stories have performed?

- M.
Vintage Season is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 07:29 AM   #14
nomesque
Snooty Bestselling Author
nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650
1. Free in ibookstore - YES. My first is free, and has made it to the ibookstore and B&N so far. Both listed as free.

2. There will be periodic - quarterly? - updates for free ebooks, if they're received from the distributor. I don't think they're added to the usual downloads shown in the dashboard - could be wrong there. Mine for B&N don't seem to have shown up yet, although I could have misunderstood how they'll be shown - I think I'd notice if they were added to total downloads because due to a fluke of promotional luck, DEAD(ish) was downloaded a lot in the initial months of B&N figures received.

Hope that helps
nomesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 10:07 AM   #15
DixieGal
Hi There!

As I understand it, and believe me that you are probably more knowledgeable than I, but after you get the ISBN and all the T's dotted and I's crossed, only then can Smashwords get it to various distributors. Smashwords wants to get it to as many purchasers as possible. But it is the distributors who hold things up. Everything seems to take place in batches as to when they will accept batches of titles, then when they will put them on their sales pages, etc. So I think Smashwords is getting them out as quickly as possible, but it takes a while for the distributors to get them onto their virtual shelves.