Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-28-2010, 11:18 AM   #1
DougFNJ
Avid Reader
DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature, 2TB iPad Pro 11”
Public Librarys.....

I haven't had a library card since I was in High School. I am interested in taking advantage of Sony's library download feature, but my local library is not on that list.

Anyone familiar with how it all works?
DougFNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 11:25 AM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
First......go to your local library, get a card.

Ask the librarian there what kind of selection of epub or pdf ebooks they have. You might have to go online and see for yourself. She can give you the site.

Once you have a card.....you download the books to your computer, and sideload to your Sony.

Books "close" at the end of the loan period......no return worries. You can then just delete them from you computer or Sony.

Enjoy.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2010, 11:30 AM   #3
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
You have options; it doesn't have to be your local library. You can obtain a library card from a library in your state. If you have a family member or a close friend who lives in NYC perhaps they have a New York Public Library card (or will get one) and can share their "pin" with you for borrowing ebooks. NYPL has the largest and most diverse selection of ebooks.

I'm shocked and dismayed that the Dallas Public Library has zero ebooks! It appears that no libraries in Texas, with ebooks, offer more than 300 total. Also, there's very little difference in the selection offered at each library.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 01:04 PM   #4
retro
Groupie
retro doesn't litterretro doesn't litterretro doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Clara Blue PRS 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
I'm shocked and dismayed that the Dallas Public Library has zero ebooks! It appears that no libraries in Texas, with ebooks, offer more than 300 total. Also, there's very little difference in the selection offered at each library.

Just mosey on up to Garland. The Nicholson Memorial Library has a very extensive Overdrive collection, over 1400 pdf books. In Texas, most libraries will give you a card if you have a Texas Drivers License, you don't have to live in the city. So, if you are ever in Houston, pick up a card there too. They have the largest Overdrive selection in Texas.
retro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 01:14 PM   #5
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by retro View Post
Just mosey on up to Garland. The Nicholson Memorial Library has a very extensive Overdrive collection, over 1400 pdf books. In Texas, most libraries will give you a card if you have a Texas Drivers License, you don't have to live in the city. So, if you are ever in Houston, pick up a card there too. They have the largest Overdrive selection in Texas.
Thanks, retro! I just looked at the Houston Public Library's site. They now offer NetLibrary ebooks for checkout, in addition to the Overdrive content for popular ebooks. I'll take the 2.5 hour hike tomorrow.
Advert
Old 01-28-2010, 02:20 PM   #6
retro
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Thanks, retro! I just looked at the Houston Public Library's site. They now offer NetLibrary ebooks for checkout, in addition to the Overdrive content for popular ebooks. I'll take the 2.5 hour hike tomorrow.

Sorry, let me be clearer. When I think of Houston, well, I think Houston.
But it's the Harris county library (the suburbs) that has the most ebooks. Houston Public has them too, but not as many. But, if you go there, why not get a card from both!!
Old 01-28-2010, 02:38 PM   #7
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
But it's the Harris county library (the suburbs) that has the most ebooks. Houston Public has them too, but not as many. But, if you go there, why not get a card from both!!
Thanks for the clarification!!!
Old 01-28-2010, 04:26 PM   #8
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Los Angeles County library has a ton of information on-line and what looks (at first glance) to be a decent selection available for download. See http://overdrive.colapublib.org/CF46...96/en/Help.htm
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 04:57 PM   #9
DougFNJ
Avid Reader
DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature, 2TB iPad Pro 11”
Great suggestions, thanks

I'm going to see if one of my family members from NYC can hook me up with their PIN....if not, it looks like any NY resident can use that library, my dad lives upstate NY, may have to have him get one
DougFNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 05:14 PM   #10
olguy
Enthusiast
olguy began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Daily Reader
Quote:
That's understandable. Houston covers most of Harris County. Harris County has 1936 fiction ebooks listed on their site. I can' get into Houston's because I don't have a Houston library card. I did get into the Houston Area Digital Media Catalog. That is a consortium of several area libraries, not including Harris County and they only have 284 fiction listed. Amazing to me that they all get their books via Overdrive and yet there is such a disparity.

Here's something to check into. TexShare I don't know yet if it applies to ebooks but you can get a TexShare card at your local library if it is a member. And you can find that out on the link.

And you can get a Harris County Library card if you are a resident of Texas but you have to do it in person. But Harris County is a member of TexShare if that allows you to check out ebooks.
olguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 07:03 PM   #11
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
I live in Granbury Texas, and rightly assumed our little library would not do ebooks.... but I really thought Fort Worth would.... but no...... I may check into the TexShare thing though.... thanks for the link!
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 07:18 PM   #12
SCION
Séduisant

Downloaded my first library books today. Very cool. Didn't make it to Houston for a library card due to the weather. Went to Garland for a card as retro suggested since I was in the area. The only disappointment is that the ebooks are all PDFs (no ePubs). I'm stuck with the small font setting (on the 900), which is what I normally use for my LRFs, but with the PDFs I'd like it to be a tad bigger. Being able to "crop" the margins, in this case, is wonderful. In fact, it's the only time I've used the feature.

Oh, when I downloaded the books, Adobe Digital Edition was configured to open the books automatically. This worked fine, however, the software would not recognize the Reader. Calibre and the Reader Library always recognize it. After a few minutes of trying to troubleshoot this, I bailed and just had the Reader Library import the books and then transferred them to the Reader. Surprisingly, the Reader Library has been working in harmony with Calibre, with no glitches (YET).

Last edited by SCION; 01-29-2010 at 07:22 PM.
Old 01-29-2010, 07:43 PM   #13
olguy
Enthusiast
olguy began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Daily Reader
I just downloaded an epub from Harris County. Again, Harris County has a much larger selection than Houston.

Did you check into the TexShare card? I may go to my local HCPL tomorrow and see if I can get some information on TexShare regarding ebook.

And I followed the instruction for the 505 and 700 with ADE. Plug in the reader, open ADE and it is supposed to recognize the reader. Not for me. Besides, it only takes a few seconds using Reader Library.

Last edited by olguy; 01-29-2010 at 07:46 PM.
olguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 07:27 AM   #14
retro
Groupie

[QUOTE=olguy;761427]Here's something to check into. TexShare I don't know yet if it applies to ebooks but you can get a TexShare card at your local library if it is a member. And you can find that out on the link.
QUOTE]

I think all Texas libraries and schools are members of TexShare. I've been to the site through my library and there seem to be only public access books, primarily non-fiction. The account goes through NetLibrary and books can only be read online. Also, there doesn't seem to be a search function on the TexShare site, or a way to look for authors or subjects. It's very confusing. (Or maybe I'm just spoiled by Overdrive.)

SCION, glad to see you got a card Overdrive started as purely audiobooks and most have just started getting ebooks in the past year. Audiobooks were all wma's until the past year, too, and they started adding mp3s. That being said, epubs are coming in slowly, but they are coming. With cities and counties having so many financial problems, things like libraries are the first to lose funding. I'm just thankful to have such a great selection, FREE, whatever the format.
Old 01-30-2010, 10:32 AM   #15
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
I'm just thankful to have such a great selection, FREE, whatever the format.
I'm with you on that note!