Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 12-17-2011, 10:14 AM   #1
timezone
Addict
timezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheese

Device: Windows Phone7, Kindle Fire
do we get app upgrade notifications from Amazon

Does anyone know if the Fire notifies us when an app update is avaliable? I installed AndroidPit and I am now receiving notifications from them. I am not getting any notifications from Amazon.
timezone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 10:20 AM   #2
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by timezone View Post
Does anyone know if the Fire notifies us when an app update is avaliable? I installed AndroidPit and I am now receiving notifications from them. I am not getting any notifications from Amazon.
I have gotten notifications on the Fire. You can check for updates while in the app store go to My Apps on the Fire hit update Available. Keep in mind if you have an app that in the store installed from another source it will tell you to upgrade just ignore that and only update the ones install from the App Store.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2011, 10:28 AM   #3
timezone
Addict
timezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheese

Thanks for the tip. One curious item. I believe I got ES File Explorer from Amazon. I have a notification from AndroidPit but none on the Fire.
Old 12-17-2011, 11:01 AM   #4
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by timezone View Post
Thanks for the tip. One curious item. I believe I got ES File Explorer from Amazon. I have a notification from AndroidPit but none on the Fire.
The version at Amazon is "very" old. The one at the other place is newer and better.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 11:09 AM   #5
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
The version at Amazon is "very" old. The one at the other place is newer and better.

Yes, the version from AndroidPIT is much better. It even has holiday themes. The version from Amazon may have to be uninstalled before installing the newer version from AndroidPIT.

Also, it has been my experience that AndroiPIT and 1Mobile are among the best alternative App Stores in terms of providing App update notifications.

Last edited by obsessed2; 12-17-2011 at 11:11 AM.
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2011, 12:36 PM   #6
deannah
Connoisseur
deannah began at the beginning.

Device: KK, KT, KFire, KFire HD, KPaperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed2 View Post
Yes, the version from AndroidPIT is much better. It even has holiday themes. The version from Amazon may have to be uninstalled before installing the newer version from AndroidPIT.

Also, it has been my experience that AndroiPIT and 1Mobile are among the best alternative App Stores in terms of providing App update notifications.
I saw the updated one on 1Mobile, downloaded, sideloaded it on the Fire, tried to install, but it wouldn't. Went through the motions, but said "application not installed'. If you have to uninstall previous version, how do you install the new one? I initially uninstalled then couldn't figure out how to install the new one. TIA.
deannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 12:42 PM   #7
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deannah View Post
I saw the updated one on 1Mobile, downloaded, sideloaded it on the Fire, tried to install, but it wouldn't. Went through the motions, but said "application not installed'. If you have to uninstall previous version, how do you install the new one? I initially uninstalled then couldn't figure out how to install the new one. TIA.

It should prompt you to install automatically if you use the 1Mobile Market App. I just opened the notification from 1Mobile on my Pocket Edge (a different Android tablet I haven't turned on in a while) and the App Store allowed me to download ES File Explorer and it gave me a pop up to replace existing App.

Use the 1Mobile Market App and search for ES File Explorer and you should be able to download and install it.

Last edited by obsessed2; 12-17-2011 at 12:48 PM.
Old 12-17-2011, 12:48 PM   #8
deannah
Connoisseur

Okay, figured it out. Uninstalled the previous version, used the 1Mobile app and direct downloaded and installed the new version of ES File Explorer. Worked beautifully, though it would NOT install over the previous version.
Old 12-17-2011, 12:55 PM   #9
obsessed2
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by deannah View Post
Okay, figured it out. Uninstalled the previous version, used the 1Mobile app and direct downloaded and installed the new version of ES File Explorer. Worked beautifully, though it would NOT install over the previous version.

Both 1Moble and AndrioPIT usually provide pretty decent notification from within their Market Apps if the App is from their App Store or not. Like I said in the previous post sometimes you will have to uninstall the Amazon version of the App before another version can be installed. However, it bears repeating especially for those new to Android. I am happy that you got it to work. Isn't the user interface much nicer than the Amazon version?
Old 12-17-2011, 01:16 PM   #10
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
I always get update notifications for apps on my kindle fire. It shows up in a little notification above my kindle name.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 01:23 PM   #11
timezone
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
I always get update notifications for apps on my kindle fire. It shows up in a little notification above my kindle name.
That actually was my concern. I see all sorts of notifications at that location except apps. I followed Blossom's recommendation and did see one notice. It never appeared next to my name. Amazon has to do a better job with apps or else we will goto sites like AndroidPit.

I wish Amazon would open up all the apps in their store for us. A notification that an app hasn't yet been approved for the Fire and may not work is sufficient warning.
Old 12-17-2011, 01:24 PM   #12
obsessed2
Wizard

Quote:

All Fire owners should get update notifications from Amazon once they update an App on their App Store. However, sometimes they are a little slow in getting these updates where as the alternative markets usually provide the updates much sooner.
Old 12-17-2011, 01:31 PM   #13
deannah
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed2 View Post
Both 1Moble and AndrioPIT usually provide pretty decent notification from within their Market Apps if the App is from their App Store or not. Like I said in the previous post sometimes you will have to uninstall the Amazon version of the App before another version can be installed. However, it bears repeating especially for those new to Android. I am happy that you got it to work. Isn't the user interface much nicer than the Amazon version?
Yes, very nice and beautiful background for the holidays. Thanks for all your help. This newbie appreciates it very much.
Old 12-17-2011, 01:41 PM   #14
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
I agree they Amazon needs to do a better job with the apps. They seem to be really slow with updating them, it's annoying, especially when updates have been available for awhile. I know there has been a lot of complaints about it. I have noticed recently updates have been coming in more regularly. I've been getting them every couple days. Hopefully things will get better.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 01:46 PM   #15
obsessed2
Wizard

Quote:
I agree they Amazon needs to do a better job with the apps. They seem to be really slow with updating them, it's annoying, especially when updates have been available for awhile. I know there has been a lot of complaints about it. I have noticed recently updates have been coming in more regularly. I've been getting them every couple days. Hopefully things will get better.

I'm absolutely positive they will. Amazon really just got their App Store up and running about 9 months ago. As the Fire gains popularity I feel that the Amazon App Store will be among the premier App Stores for all Android owners.