Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-25-2011, 09:13 PM   #1
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
Kobo Desktop: No internet connection?

Lately I've been getting the error "syncing requires an internet connection. Please check your connection and try again" when I've tried syncing my Kobo Desktop with the android app. I use the app a lot during the day, since I (stupidly) switched to a purse too small to hold my 950. So in the evening, I sync the desktop app and then sync to the 950 to get any new books to it.

If I keep trying the error eventually stops and the app syncs, but it's a bit annoying, especially since my internet connection is alive and well and streaming music to me while I'm getting this error.

Has this happened to others, or is this on my end only? If it is, then maybe I can fix it.
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 12:07 AM   #2
EricLandes
Connoisseur
EricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kindle PW, Kobo Aura HD, Galaxy Note 10.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScalyFreak View Post
Has this happened to others, or is this on my end only? If it is, then maybe I can fix it.
This happened to me earlier today (while in the midst of trying to recover from the storage error) and I just chalked it up to strangeness with our work network. I haven't seen the problem at home today.
EricLandes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2011, 02:06 AM   #3
FJames
Addict
FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch & Aura
I've seen that message from Kobo Desktop when there is nothing wrong with my internet connection. It probably means that it couldn't contact the Kobo server, and it's about as accurate as most software error messages.
FJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 10:21 AM   #4
OneandonlyDoc
Fearless Writer
OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi
Make sure your antivirus software is shut off. Back when I was running the PCTools antivirus stuff, it wreaked HAVOC with Kobo desktop.
OneandonlyDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 03:55 PM   #5
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJames View Post
I've seen that message from Kobo Desktop when there is nothing wrong with my internet connection. It probably means that it couldn't contact the Kobo server, and it's about as accurate as most software error messages.
That would make sense. But that's irritating, since I can't do anything about Kobo's servers. Oh well. At least now I know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneandonlyDoc View Post
Make sure your antivirus software is shut off. Back when I was running the PCTools antivirus stuff, it wreaked HAVOC with Kobo desktop.
I appreciate the effort to help, but "make sure you turn off your antivirus" is not a solution I will ever accept for a software problem. As a part of the troubleshooting process, absolutely. But as a serious long-term solution? Not an option.
Advert
Old 08-26-2011, 04:09 PM   #6
OneandonlyDoc
Fearless Writer
OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScalyFreak View Post
I appreciate the effort to help, but "make sure you turn off your antivirus" is not a solution I will ever accept for a software problem. As a part of the troubleshooting process, absolutely. But as a serious long-term solution? Not an option.
*laughs* Of course not, and I don't blame you! I did, however, end up changing my antivirus software as a result of the issues. There's no reason I shouldn't be able to set my antivirus software to completely ignore a particular program, if you ask me.

I just wanted to give you the heads-up on the PCTools thing, though. I'm sure I probably wasn't the only one with the same problem. You might want to double-check your firewall settings, too.
OneandonlyDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 05:16 PM   #7
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneandonlyDoc View Post
*laughs* Of course not, and I don't blame you! I did, however, end up changing my antivirus software as a result of the issues. There's no reason I shouldn't be able to set my antivirus software to completely ignore a particular program, if you ask me.
Ah, that makes more sense! Misunderstanding on my part.

And I agree, stupid AVs with limited options are not worth the time.

I briefly used PCTools a few months back, but got rid of it quickly since it was way too intrusive and I'm not the kind of person who finds constant alerts and reminders from my AV reassuring. I find it endlessly annoying. Like any good security system, it should be in the background and only make its presence known when it has to.

I recently got rid of Avira and installed Avast, and the connection error started after the switch, so since I hadn't thought to test it, I'll shut off Avast next time it happens and see if it changes anything.

No firewall, only Windows Defender, and it has been told to let Kobo come and go as it pleases.