Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 04-19-2010, 10:43 PM   #1
SmartyPants
Zealot
SmartyPants began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW
Last read position not saved after shut-down?

Hi all,
i just noticed something..
reading a book in fb2 format, and then do a hard shut down (ie complete switch-off), then when i turn PB back on, it doesnt go to my last read position? Goes to some page much earlier in a book...

is this a known glitch? Or just me?

thank you fellow readers!

ps running latest firmware
SmartyPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 10:48 PM   #2
Davimee
Happy Wife & Momma
Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Purple Astak Pocket Pro! :)
I'm not real familiar with fb2 format, but I know with epubs if there are spaces in the name of the file, or the folder, bookmarks don't work. And it might be the same with saving your page after you exit the book. Are there any spaces in your book name? If so, you might want to replace them with '_', in both your book name and folder name. For example, Book_Name in the Folder_Name. Does that make sense? Also, when you're not reading, you don't need to turn off your ereader. If you're concerned with accidentally pressing a button and the book going to another page, you can just do a short press of the power button to put it in keylock mode.

Hope that helps! And if not, I'm sure there are plenty others here who would be better at answering your questions!
Davimee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 12:20 AM   #3
SmartyPants
Zealot

Thanks for your prompt reply!
yep, i normally dont do a full shutdown... so this problem is not major by any means. I was just interested as to why this is happening.
And yes, there are spaces in the book name. I will try the book without spaces just to see if the problem persists.

I actually prefer fb2 format now and love the Coolreader.. so have been converting all my books to fb2.
Old 04-20-2010, 12:36 AM   #4
Davimee
Happy Wife & Momma
Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Purple Astak Pocket Pro! :)
You're welcome. You'll have to post back and let me know if that works! I'm just starting to use Coolreader, and I'm finding I'm liking it. I'm trying to decide if I like it enough to rename all my books to have the .fb2 extension, or just keep reading them as epubs. Oh, and do you happen to know if there is a difference in actually converting the book to fb2, or just tacking .fb2 on the end of an epub?
Davimee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 02:30 AM   #5
SmartyPants
Zealot

well, i only used this method (adding .fb2 on the end of epub) for a couple of books, since most of mine are either in fb2 format already or i have an option of re-downloading them in fb2 format. So 'converting' was not exactly correct i guess...
Seems to be doing the job just fine. However, I havent actually read them yet, just converted the file name and had a quick look - they open with no problem.

I kept the file name as filename.epub.fb2 btw...

hope that helps!
Old 04-20-2010, 09:29 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartyPants View Post
well, i only used this method (adding .fb2 on the end of epub) for a couple of books, since most of mine are either in fb2 format already or i have an option of re-downloading them in fb2 format. So 'converting' was not exactly correct i guess...
Seems to be doing the job just fine. However, I havent actually read them yet, just converted the file name and had a quick look - they open with no problem.

I kept the file name as filename.epub.fb2 btw...

hope that helps!
Did you jump back to the Book list (exit the book) before shutting down?I believe that step "saves your place" and might not be properly triggered by a "Shutdown" when reading a FB2 .
Sort of what happens with a crash.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 10:07 AM   #7
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartyPants View Post
Hi all,
i just noticed something..
reading a book in fb2 format, and then do a hard shut down (ie complete switch-off), then when i turn PB back on, it doesnt go to my last read position? Goes to some page much earlier in a book...

is this a known glitch? Or just me?
It is not a glitch, it is just the way it works. Your place in the book is saved when you exit the reader application. If you just turn the power off, you current location is not saved, since the OS apparently does not signal the reading application to do a normal exit. You are probably starting back up in the place that you were at the last time that you exited the reader application normally.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 08:26 PM   #8
SmartyPants
Zealot

aaah... well that explains it.
No problem, since i never do a full shut-down anyway!

thanks all!
Old 04-20-2010, 10:58 PM   #9
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
I think I ran into a similar thing by plugging in the USB cable to my computer whilst it was still in a book.
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 11:08 PM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by jusmee View Post
I think I ran into a similar thing by plugging in the USB cable to my computer whilst it was still in a book.

You are correct.
I ow try and remember to leave a book before attaching the cable.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote