Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 12-23-2009, 06:36 PM   #1
coredump
Enthusiast
coredump began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 360
Questions

So, my 360 arrived and I am having fun with it. I am also preparing a series of videos showing it working, but I hit some doubts and would like to see if someone can tell me the answers:

- The only way to turn it off is holding the power button? Doesnt it have a power saving mode with screen turned off that it can be quickly returned on? It takes not much to boot, but if it took nothing it would be even cooler.

- Adobe Reader has less controls than fbreader, but fbreader is not showing linebreaks and other formating breaks (page breaks and white lines). I saw someone saying that solved it with a CSS, is that possible? Adobe reader shows breaks and stuff, but the font options are really sufferable.
coredump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 09:39 PM   #2
Yar-PocketBooker
Fanatic
Yar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: PocketBooks and Onyxes and anything E-Ink...
Quote:
Originally Posted by coredump View Post
So, my 360 arrived and I am having fun with it. I am also preparing a series of videos showing it working, but I hit some doubts and would like to see if someone can tell me the answers:

- The only way to turn it off is holding the power button? Doesnt it have a power saving mode with screen turned off that it can be quickly returned on? It takes not much to boot, but if it took nothing it would be even cooler.

It does turn off after 10 minutes of idle, though there are options in menue, when you can have it working and not turning off for long time or forever until battery works.

- Adobe Reader has less controls than fbreader, but fbreader is not showing linebreaks and other formating breaks (page breaks and white lines). I saw someone saying that solved it with a CSS, is that possible? Adobe reader shows breaks and stuff, but the font options are really sufferable.

Developers are constantly working on improving Adobe reader with the font options. What version of the firmware do you have now installed on your PB?
Yar-PocketBooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 11:14 PM   #3
coredump
Enthusiast

The latest version that Forko posted on this forum.

But really, it should have a 'sleep' option. Cold booting each time...
Old 12-24-2009, 03:39 AM   #4
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
No it does not have power saving mode with screen blanked out, but ... You can switch it off, with something on the screen ;-)

Seriously.
You activate power saving mode by briefly pressing the off button. The buttons are deactivated (so you can put it into your pocket) and a little key icon is displayed hear the switch. The off button can be assigned to other functions through menus
Main -> Settings -> Key Mapping.

If you assign the off button to some other interesting function, like screenshot or list of most recently used books, you can have device to enter the sleep mode automatically.
Main -> Settings -> Clock -> Lock keyboard after.

As I said at the beginning you can have the device to display custom image when it is switched off.
You put your images in bmp format, 600x800 pixels, 8 levels of grayscale in system/logo directory when you connect the device to USB.
Then you can set up what picture to display
Main -> Settings -> Appearance -> Power off logo
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 06:01 AM   #5
SciFiFan
Connoisseur
SciFiFan once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SciFiFan once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SciFiFan once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SciFiFan once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SciFiFan once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SciFiFan once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SciFiFan once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SciFiFan once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SciFiFan once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SciFiFan once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SciFiFan once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: PocketBook 360° (silbrig-weiss)
Quote:
But really, it should have a 'sleep' option. Cold booting each time...
Actually there is already a sleep mode: The device is in sleep when the actividy LED is off! The E-Ink display doesn't need any energy to keep showing a page, just for flipping pages. The buttons and the G sensor create an interrupt which wake up the device from sleep.

When you activate the keyboard lock as kacir suggested, the G sensor will be turned off too, so you have the deepest possible sleep mode (like the S3 "suspend to RAM" mode on a PC).
SciFiFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 06:28 AM   #6
coredump
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
No it does not have power saving mode with screen blanked out, but ... You can switch it off, with something on the screen ;-)

Seriously.
You activate power saving mode by briefly pressing the off button. The buttons are deactivated (so you can put it into your pocket) and a little key icon is displayed hear the switch. The off button can be assigned to other functions through menus

If you assign the off button to some other interesting function, like screenshot or list of most recently used books, you can have device to enter the sleep mode automatically.

As I said at the beginning you can have the device to display custom image when it is switched off.
You put your images in bmp format, 600x800 pixels, 8 levels of grayscale in system/logo directory when you connect the device to USB.
Kacir you are the man! The manual is not very clear on what the lock keyboard do, so it is basically a 'sleep', and I can left it 'locked' for say, hours or days, without worrying if the skin will burn or battery run out (it will, eventually, but not that fast).

Now if fbreader get better epub support this thing will fly. I discovered last night the reflow mode in PDF (holding the OK button while reading a PDF) and everything became so much better. The size option is limited, but still, I can read my PDFs. And that is great.
Old 12-24-2009, 07:04 AM   #7
divory
divory began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad, Gen3, Sony 700, Opus, PB360
New question, new problem

I am an early adopter so I go back to the original Rocket, the later model, on to the first of the iLiads, then the Gen3 (two of them, one broke and no help from Bookeen), a Sony 700 and then the Opus. I was more than happy with the Opus until it started to freeze on a daily occurence and with no sign of any support from Bookeen I have just taken delivery of a PocketBook 360. The software is light years ahead of any other ereader with the ablilty to mark a book as read, create folders on the fly and with the new fbreader the ability to change a page with a slight move of the wrist.

Except - fbreader only works on a few mobi files that came with the reader. When I load an ePub it must go into the Adobe reader automatically without giving me the opportunity to choose which software to use. Instead of the fbreader Configeration file it gives me the contents page. Where am I going wrong?

David
divory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 07:12 AM   #8
poshm
Fanatic
poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, Sony Reader Touch, Ipod touch & Kindle 2
Just got my pocketbook today

To open a book in fbreader go to main menu / books / find the book you want to read and make sure it is highlighted - then press AND HOLD the middle OK button and then choose open with ... Click to right and select fbreader

hope that helps
poshm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 09:27 AM   #9
divory
divory began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad, Gen3, Sony 700, Opus, PB360
Problem solved - thanks. It is a pity that such a good ereader as the PocketBook 360 should have such a poor User Manual. If we just used the information on MobileRead we could create a very useful Wiki that would help all newbies.
divory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 12:56 AM   #10
ufoDziner
ufoDziner began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook 360
Hello,
I just received a PB360 for my wife and added the power off logo like you described. I'm wondering if that causes any sort of, "screen burn" to the device. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post

Seriously.

ufoDziner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 02:36 AM   #11
poshm
Fanatic
poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, Sony Reader Touch, Ipod touch & Kindle 2
As far as I'm aware, eink devices do not suffer from screen burn like LCD screens can do. A different type of technology so think you are fine. Hopefully someone else can confer
poshm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 03:11 AM   #12
Javed
Grand Sorcerer
Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO, iPod Touch, PRS-650
No E-ink Screen Burn-In

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufoDziner View Post
Hello,
I just received a PB360 for my wife and added the power off logo like you described. I'm wondering if that causes any sort of, "screen burn" to the device. Thanks
E-ink doesn't get screen burn-in. It doesn't use phosphor like CRT,Plasma and LCD.

It can get transient image persistence (ghosting) occasionally when the ink sticks but this is only temporary. This clears upon the screen refreshing.

See also: screen burn-in and E-ink
Javed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 03:47 AM   #13
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:

The new fbreader version made by SFF features page breaks before chapters!

If you don't want your PB to restart every time, turn the power saving mode to off! Don't forget to lock your keys. That way your 360° will be available at all times! And no, this will not cost a lot of power!

Last edited by mtravellerh; 12-27-2009 at 03:52 AM.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 03:52 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javed View Post
E-ink doesn't get screen burn-in. It doesn't use phosphor like CRT,Plasma and LCD.
Plasma and LCD screens don't use phosphor either, and LCD screens don't suffer from "burn-in".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 04:06 AM   #15
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
... and LCD screens don't suffer from "burn-in".
I have seen a burned-in LCD monitor.
It was from an operator station. It was displaying the same table with [changing] parameters of some manufacturing process 99% of time, 24hours a day 7 days a week, and now, even when it is switched off the table is clearly visible.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote