Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-27-2011, 09:06 AM   #16
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
in the specifications they say capacitive. i find that hard to believe. i understood that among the benefits of the IR touch was that it was actually cheaper than capacitive. multi-touch is possible with IR touch

good find Thamyris
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 09:09 AM   #17
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Images showing readers with covers from a few different angles.
More robust stylus for sure.
It appears they may have got rid of those reflective silver colours/finishes.

From Bol.com
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 09:11 AM   #18
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
in the specifications they say capacitive. i find that hard to believe. i understood that among the benefits of the IR touch was that it was actually cheaper than capacitive. multi-touch is possible with IR touch

good find Thamyris
A capacitive touch screen is also at odds with the use of a stylus for annotation. I suspect that it's really an IR touch screen, the same as the 650/350 have.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 09:15 AM   #19
mikaelalind
Fanatic
mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, Cybook Odessey
Quote:
you can log in via WiFi on the e-book store Bol.com
Does that mean the WiFi will be tied to local e-book stores? I hope not since I buy very few swedish e-books.

Other than that, it looks like really nice
mikaelalind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 09:16 AM   #20
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikaelalind View Post
Does that mean the WiFi will be tied to local e-book stores? I hope not since I buy very few swedish e-books.

Other than that, it looks like really nice
No reason to think that. The PRS-950 (sold in the US only) has online access to the Sony bookstore, but that doesn't prevent you from buying books elsewhere.
Old 08-27-2011, 09:18 AM   #21
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
I'm thinking there are going to be some red faces at that store if this is for real, as we've had no official announcement from Sony.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 09:19 AM   #22
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

It's the way that these things generally get out. Details get sent early to stores, with an embargo date, and some bright spark releases it too soon.
Old 08-27-2011, 09:22 AM   #23
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
thats definitely not a capacitive pen- the tip is too small.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 09:24 AM   #24
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
thats definitely not a capacitive pen- the tip is too small.
I agree.
Old 08-27-2011, 09:25 AM   #25
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Priced more than $200? Here we go again (in the U.S.).
Sony believes it has a premium product, much the way that Bose does.
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 09:26 AM   #26
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
Is it safe to presume it has new cpu? I mean, new within the context of current ereaders. Otherwise the changes seem minimal for a next gen device (considering the previous Sonys were nicely equipped).

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockdaMan View Post
lol.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 09:29 AM   #27
Squirsier
Addict
Squirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Signed Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS-350, Kobo Aura v2, Kobo Clara HD
I am a bit disappointed too. According to the file formats, I wonder if it'll support BBBeB or if that's dead in the water for this generation of eReaders.

Also, one thing I really liked about the PRS-350 and 650 is how their covers fit nicely with the eReader itself by using hinges. It's transparent and looks like a real book. Now, the covers just look gimmicky (in my humble opinion).

I was debating going with a Kobo Touch and waiting for the new Sony... I think I might go with a Kobo after all (or just stick with my PRS-350... Do I really need a new toy?! Yes, once a year at least )
Squirsier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 09:33 AM   #28
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockdaMan View Post
I'm not questioning what they believe. Is this new line going to be a repeat of the previous one (in the U.S.) less than six months after release? Stores no longer carrying them. Accessories unavailable. Will stores in the U.S. sell these again, particularly when there's the NOOK, Kobo, and potentially Kindle touch? How much inventory are they going to stock?
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 09:34 AM   #29
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
While I'm not happy about the switch from metal to plastic, it drops the weight on the 650 from 215g to 168g, that's a big difference. Although I'll admit I love the quality feel of the materials I get when holding the metal case, but it does tend to get very hot while reading in the sun so the plastic will probably help there.

While the cover seems to fasten it in more securely, which is a good thing (although I've never had a problem with my reader coming lose or falling out), it looks like that type of cover would prevent the use of some clip-on reading lights, such as the Versa, which I use during the summer.

I'm disappointed to not read about being able to change fonts, but I realize this unofficial info could be missing some items too, or have some things just wrong.

I will admit though that I absolutely hate the curved bottom design and wonder why any manufacturer would do that rather than just straight edges (yes, I even hate it on TVs and those aren't even considered to be purchased). It probably would be a deal breaker for me.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 09:36 AM   #30
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
I'm not questioning what they believe. Is this new line going to be a repeat of the previous one (in the U.S.) less than six months after release? Stores no longer carrying them. Accessories unavailable. Will stores in the U.S. sell these again, particularly when there's the NOOK, Kobo, and potentially Kindle touch? How much inventory are they going to stock?
It may be that the aren't particularly targeting the US market. Sony have traditionally done well in the UK/European market.

Tags
prs-t1, sony, specs