Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 06-17-2010, 03:26 PM   #1
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
The origins of audiobooks

Quote:
THE day of the talking book, the talking newspaper and the talking magazine is foreshadowed in the recent invention of a French machine which reads from a strip of film-like substance any speech that is recorded on it.
This is back in 1932. I imagine the use of celluloid reels had advantages to the phonographs of the day which were very limited in the amount of audio time that could be stored.

Found at Modern Mechanix here
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 09:18 PM   #2
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
Did it say how long the battery lasts? If it's not as long as my reader then I don't want one.

SameOldStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-17-2010, 10:38 PM   #3
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
when I was in the Army reel to reel tapes were all the rage. I probably would have ended up with one had it not been for cd's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOldStory View Post
Did it say how long the battery lasts? If it's not as long as my reader then I don't want one.

kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 11:06 PM   #4
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
You photograph well. From your picture I would've said you don't look more than 3 months old.

I had a small reel to reel as a boy. Came all the way from Japan. We laughed at the manual.

It was written much like this -

The tape recorder was very important to me though. It convinced me that I would NEVER be even as good as a bad singer.

Last edited by SameOldStory; 06-26-2010 at 08:06 PM.
SameOldStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 01:48 AM   #5
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOldStory View Post
You photograph well. From your picture I would've said you don't look more than 3 months old.

I had a small real to real as a boy. Came all the way from Japan. We laughed at the manual.

It was written much like this -

The tape recorder was very important to me though. It convinced me that I would NEVER be even as good as a bad singer.
I think I was actually about three weeks then. but thanks. the other kittens think I am mature for my age
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2010, 03:56 AM   #6
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Great stuff, Donna. But, of course, the audiobook is nothing new and predates the written word by tens of thousands of years, going back to days when tales were told by the flickering light of crackling fires in caves. Since then, we've had everything from clay tablets, scrolls, codex, primitive printing and web offset to digital screen presentation. The only presentation of a story that's remained intact (and I hope will always survive 'progress') is the spoken word. Cheers. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote